Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR500 pickup options…

donslow

Hey all, 

I’ve got an itch, it needs scratching before I do something I’ll regret (selling a bass I love to bits)

Currently have an Ibanez sr500 (as well as  three sr300’s I’ve had “adjusted” for different pickup configurations) and love it to bits, problem is, I’ve started to become a bit more passive bass biased which means the 500 doesn’t get used as much anymore, 

Do I have any options to make this bass passive but still get the same noise(s) out of it?

Despite knowing it’ll be an instant kind of regret, I’m dangerously close to getting shot of it and buying another 300 to mod with some passive soap bars (or something similar)

anyone with a couple of 2p’s to throw into the pot?

thanks in advance

Edited by donslow

@Woodinblack thanks for the advice, something to look into for sure but I have to admit, I zoned out and went a bit crossed eyed at 

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

connect the output of the balance through the volume

Does that remove any trace of a tone adjustment option?

Understandably it’ll sound different but Will it sound bad?! Just wondering after reading

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

obviously what it sounds like then depends on your leads and your amp

Amp is an SVT II Pro or Micro CL if that’s worth anything?!

thanks in advance again

Edited by donslow

1 hour ago, donslow said:

@Woodinblack thanks for the advice, something to look into for sure but I have to admit, I zoned out and went a bit crossed eyed at 

The pickups go to the balance control, the output of which goes to the  preamp input. The output of the preamp goes to the volume. So if you connect the middle pin of the balance control to the volume control where it connected to the preamp, job should be a goodun.

Does that remove any trace of a tone adjustment option?

Yes, the tone adjustment is part of the preamp, there would be none left if you removed it. Obviously you could add something else as you would have some pots going spare, but there wouldn't be anything by default.

Understandably it’ll sound different but Will it sound bad?! Just wondering after reading

Who knows, I don't have your cable or your amp. Once you remove the preamp you add your lead and your amp into the tone shaping circuit of the bass. If you have a good cable and a good amp you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between when it had the preamp and when it hadn't, apart from having no tone controls.

Certainly with my leads and amp on my premiers, I can't tell the difference between the preamp being on or off, unless I change the tone controls.

Which is even easier, you don't even have to solder to test it out. Get 3 short lengths of solid copper core wire, take the circuit board plugs out and shove the 3 wires in the sockets like this. Obviously you can take the battery out, not that it will make a difference.

WB040004.thumb.gif.5b1a900d2f6abeb4fee2945776816163.png.950d3d21ceb2a1685fea4f805983bbd7.png

4 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Are your pickups passive? I know a lot of active basses have passive pickups. If this is the case ask Ki0gon to make you a solderless passive loom, and simply replace the loom.

Not entirely sure, they’re bartolini mk1 pickups

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2021 at 00:46, Woodinblack said:

Which is even easier, you don't even have to solder to test it out. Get 3 short lengths of solid copper core wire, take the circuit board plugs out and shove the 3 wires in the sockets like this. Obviously you can take the battery out, not that it will make a difference.

WB040004.thumb.gif.5b1a900d2f6abeb4fee2945776816163.png.950d3d21ceb2a1685fea4f805983bbd7.png

@PaulThePlug apologies for coming back to this, opened up my bass and what I found looks quite different to what you had posted above…

FF3CFBB7-D7FC-49EA-895A-94A11FC89219.thumb.jpeg.57f9457478461fe6b8d0ee61b9decdf9.jpeg

Bit lost as to where the loops could/should go…can I kindly ask if you have any ideas/suggestions at all?

So yes, you have a different board, this one:

resource.jpg.fab24395cb2f653b6adf6f6c5c317da4.jpg

So to achieve that same effect its even easier, you just get a piece of wire to connect  the white from plug one to the white from plug 3, and just in case they are not internally connected (although I am sure they are), the black from plug one to the black from plug 3.

On 28/06/2021 at 00:46, Woodinblack said:

I did this on my 2004 Korean SR900 on which I have installed Nordstrand Big Singles. It didn’t work. 
However the Big Singles are a major improvement over the Bart MK1’s even with the original preamp.