Why become a member? ×

Singers who don't understand how music works

Nail Soup

10 minutes ago, TimR said:

... One problem with singers and guitarists is its often impossible to transpose some tunes without them sounding 'not right', or impossible to play on bass or guitar. ...

Similar with tempo. If the song gets much faster or slower then the original bass part may well need changing.

11 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Similar with tempo. If the song gets much faster or slower then the original bass part may well need changing.

Yes!!  My band played Goin' Up Country - the bassline was manageable at the right speed.  But they always sped up when we played it live.  So, I refused to play it live.  Silly of me, I know.  But it made me feel important . . .  :-)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TimR said:

I have no problem with any of that, so long as they realise what their limitations are and don't argue minutiae over things they don't know about or really understand. 

It's sometimes quite amusing when they start arguing minutiae over things they do know about. I remember one band rehearsal a few years back where the rest of us watched as two of our more fluent readers/proper musicians spent a few minutes arguing over whether a particular sequence of three notes in one of the tunes was actually a 'triplet' or not. Eventually there was a pause in the proceedings and someone else piped up, "Look, can we just agree that they're three f**king notes and get on with it..." :lol: 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Yes!!  My band played Goin' Up Country - the bassline was manageable at the right speed.  But they always sped up when we played it live.  So, I refused to play it live.  Silly of me, I know.  But it made me feel important . . .  🙂

I had to look that one up. I can see why you wouldn't want it sped up!

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Last night, keyboardist and I were congratulating ourselves at getting the two different progressions in Rockin All Over the World in the right places.

Singer decides it's too short and declares we need to add a verse at the end, lose a chorus from the middle and...

Why does anyone do this? After you've played it a few times at gigs and got blank looks from the audience you'll wish it was shorter and then you'll bin it entirely in 3 months time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Last night, keyboardist and I were congratulating ourselves at getting the two different progressions in Rockin All Over the World in the right places.

Singer decides it's too short and declares we need to add a verse at the end, lose a chorus from the middle and...

Best thing would be to drop a verse and a chorus, the intro, the solo, and the remaining verses and choruses. And the bridge.

God I hate that song.

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, TimR said:

Why does anyone do this? After you've played it a few times at gigs and got blank looks from the audience you'll wish it was shorter and then you'll bin it entirely in 3 months time...

I'm assuming this lot know their local audience... they've been playing together in various combinations for 40 years...

What works can be surprising. With the other band not only did a rocked up version of  Feeling Good do down well, people were actually singing along...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm assuming this lot know their local audience... they've been playing together in various combinations for 40 years...

What works can be surprising. With the other band not only did a rocked up version of  Feeling Good do down well, people were actually singing along...

Yes. But a Status Quo number should be a case of adding a verse and a chorus on the end on the fly if everyone is leaping around and singing? You don't need to work on adding anything. Or am I expecting too much from musicians? 

31 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Best thing would be to drop a verse and a chorus, the intro, the solo, and the remaining verses and choruses. And the bridge.

God I hate that song.

Come on JapanAxe - don't beat around the bush, don't hold back.  Stop sitting on the fence and tell us how you really feel about that song...

I'm wondering whether 'tinkering' with the format of a song fulfills some people's need to express creativity without the risk of originals.

Our singer doesn't understand how we can 'just play anything', and is now getting surprised when she comes up with a suggestion that we can't do anything with. Usually some obscure drum and bass number with no melody and no chord structure...

53 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Come on JapanAxe - don't beat around the bush, don't hold back.  Stop sitting on the fence and tell us how you really feel about that song...

49 minutes ago, KevB said:

Not that they wrote it anyway.

I know, very disappointed in John Fogerty there.

2 hours ago, TimR said:

Yes. But a Status Quo number should be a case of adding a verse and a chorus on the end on the fly if everyone is leaping around and singing? You don't need to work on adding anything. Or am I expecting too much from musicians? 

Of course it should be. The singist was almost at the point of taking scissors to it and rearranging it all, as I recall (it's hazy) the detail was  "take out one of these choruses, repeat the second verse, then put the missing chorus back in and repeat it a couple of times"! I pointed out that if it's too short, we just have to play it out like Quo with an endless ending...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

It's funny. A pro brass player I used to know calls it the armature disease, and says its a well known phrase amongst pros.

If you can't make a song sound exciting just play it faster. Usually aimed at people with lack of technique and feel.

3 hours ago, bassman7755 said:

I'm happy to play absolutely any song except ...

Dirging (Rocking) in the Free World, and anything by Oasis.

I made my feelings about Red Red F*cking Whine known very early on in my membership of the band. And Dreadlock Holiday.

• Like 1