Why become a member? ×

Singers who don't understand how music works

Nail Soup

16 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Oh go on then...I'd be interested hear an example of that !.. :)

It seems to me that a well-played tambourine sits within the rhythm section, and is unnoticeable.  Certainly, I had not realised that the tambourine featured so heavily in Tears of a Clown.

Here is another example - the "gallop" rhythm in the chorus is carried by the bass and tambourine, but starts at 0'14".
Y M C A. Village People. Bass Cover. - YouTube  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

Jack Ashford on tambourine at 1.45 ...

That whole track is how aspiring performers (myself included) imagine that they are playing and singing - driving and tight rhythms, smooth yet impassioned vocals, funky dancing basslines, and everything seems effortless.

Motown - required listening for everyone who is a legend in their own mind...  

• Like 4

The tambourine is an accepted instrument in the percussion section. The fact that it is so cheap and easily available makes people think it's a waste of time. When used properly it adds to the music.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ubit said:

The tambourine is an accepted instrument in the percussion section. The fact that it is so cheap and easily available makes people think it's a waste of time. When used properly it adds to the music.

No doubt it appears in some more modern "classical" repertoire..

On 05/07/2021 at 17:51, EssentialTension said:

Lots of Motown tracks

I've bought an arrangement of this for when my sax ensemble resumes and I'm planning to play the bass line on bass rather than bari sax... The other bari gets to play the bassoon riff... I might get my bassoonist friend to join in

27 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

I've bought an arrangement of this for when my sax ensemble resumes and I'm planning to play the bass line on bass rather than bari sax... The other bari gets to play the bassoon riff... I might get my bassoonist friend to join in

That's all very well and good luck with it, but what about the tambourine?

• Haha 1

Never mind the tambourine… it turns out that our drummer’s brother is a world class ocarina player. Time to put “Wild Thing” on the set list and draft him in, I think.

Edited by Trueno

1 hour ago, Trueno said:

Never mind the tambourine… it turns out that our drummer’s brother is a world class ocarina player. Time to put “Wild Thing” on the set list and draft him in, I think.

As long as it's not a crumhorn - they're almost impossible to get in tune

55 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

Speaking of Oasis, our covers band have just told me that we're going to be doign an acoustic version of 'wonderwall'.

I've threatened to quit or just refuse to play it, 

Tell them you'll only play it if they do the Mike Flowers Pops version.

1 hour ago, Sarah5string said:

Speaking of Oasis, our covers band have just told me that we're going to be doign an acoustic version of 'wonderwall'.

I've threatened to quit or just refuse to play it, 

God, I hate Caterwaul with a passion. We've thought about adding one or two Oasis songs and I've already made it clear that that horrible noise is off-limits as far as I'm concerned. It's one of only two songs out of the whole spectrum of recorded music that I absolutely loathe and will refuse to play.

Anyone chucking anything out of a pram about doing Oasis covers is missing out on happy punters and big singalongs; like it or not, they're the Beatles for at least a couple of newer generations...

• Like 3

Just now, Muzz said:

Anyone chucking anything out of a pram about doing Oasis covers is missing out on happy punters and big singalongs; like it or not, they're the Beatles for at least a couple of newer generations...

But the bass is soooooo boring!

There's lots and lots of songs like that; just watch the audience instead...

...or, if you've got wireless, go and order a round while you're playing it... 🙂

PS Don't forget to tell them the singer's paying...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1