Why become a member? ×

Singers who don't understand how music works

Nail Soup

2 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Absolutely agree! And you can think you sound great singing along to the radio or whatever but then in a room of musos with nothing but a mic in front of you concentrating on the annunciation of each word and phrase etc... Its a real skill that looks a lot easier than it is! 

And hearing your voice coming from speakers can throw some folk. You are used to hearing your voice as you talk but in a band situation your voice is projected. Not everyone can handle this.

Edit. Forgot to say, the nuances of singing into a mic like pulling back at louder, higher pitched notes and not distorting the sound like a pub drunk does.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

I think the overwhelming majority of people have the capability of singing, the number who are genuinely 'tone deaf' is in fact very small. However.... whilst some people find it an easy thing to do, others need a mix of encouragement and tuition.  

Especially encouragement

• Like 2

I used to be as flat as a fart when singing, but with practice, singing to myself with headphones on and recording the result I've got to a level where, although not brilliant is acceptable, confidence is a factor, if you think you're a crap singer you will be, if you can tell when a singer is out of tune (or an instrument) you're not tone deaf

1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

I think the overwhelming majority of people have the capability of singing, the number who are genuinely 'tone deaf' is in fact very small. However.... whilst some people find it an easy thing to do, others need a mix of encouragement and tuition.  

Yes, that is how I understand the sentiment "everyone can sing".

It is a response to the idea that singing is open only to the innate few.

It is saying that there is not a  "singing closed door" to anybody (save a very small number of genuinely tone deaf) .

It is not claiming that singing ability is 'free' and comes without work.

2 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

I don’t have perfect pitch, but I’m pretty good at identifying notes and my relative pitch is very good. It was just the physical action of standing there and singing. I could hear the note I wanted in my head, but what came out resembled the sound produced by standing on a cat's tail. I found it quite intimidating too, which didn’t help.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for people who can sing, particularly if they can play an instrument at the same time. I think people like Mark King are incredibly talented to be able to do what they do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JapanAxe said:

Only joking! Over the years I have warmed to the sound of the accordion.

Like so many instruments, it all depends on who's playing it.

We had the unlikely pleasure of being joined by a Scottish piper in full kit at a Wirebirds gig, he played a couple of solo traditional numbers, and then started playing 'Rock Around the Clock' so we joined in. Slightly surreal, but memorable.

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

We had the unlikely pleasure of being joined by a Scottish piper in full kit at a Wirebirds gig, he played a couple of solo traditional numbers, and then started playing 'Rock Around the Clock' so we joined in. Slightly surreal, but memorable.

Sorry, I would draw the line at the Scottish bagpipes! Quite fond of the Uillean pipes though.

I'd normally agree with you, but this chap played them well. He was a military man from nearby Brize Norton and regularly played and collected money for servicemen with PTSD. 

Played well, the bagpipes were surprisingly mellow and melodic. No one walked out, anyway!

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Even with an innate potential, it still requires a great deal of effort to do it at any reasonable level (beyond a family sing-song, for instance...). A lot of folk don't realise that, and imagine that they 'have it', without having put in the work. Some folk are just too shy to even try, too. Those that a really capable and confident in getting up and performing, either solo, as BV's or in a choral, are not that numerous. It's great when it all happens, though; Our Daughter sings in an amateur choral (modern repertoire...) and loves it. Their shows are splendid. B|

Apart perhaps from the Welsh, we don't have a culture here that encourages everyone to sing. It is much more of a 'standard' thing to sing in many European countries (and elsewhere).

I agree that apart from the blessed few, most of us have to put effort into singing properly - there is a lot of technique in that. Control, dynamics, and range are what teaching improves.

I hadn't sung a note until I was 33, when I started lessons and that started a huge thing for me singing in choirs of various sizes from chamber choirs with 2 dozen in them to large choirs of 150. I've been fortunate to sing some serious 'gigs' in some major venues, including the Albert Hall.

The problem comes with those that sing along with the radio and think that's all that's involved to perform in public.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

... It is much more of a 'standard' thing to sing in many European countries (and elsewhere)...

My late father-in law worked on the railway, but sang opera and operette in amateur formations since... well, forever. The rest of the family had fine voices, too, so the family gatherings, once 'lubricated', were filled with solos, duets, ensembles... One favourite 'trick' of his was to sing grand opera (a very fine tenor...), but with rather scabrous lyrics. Oh, how we laughed..! Happy daze.
My own family was quite the opposite; a yearly passage of 'South Pacific' on the record player was about it, until I had my own income. Singing..? Good gracious, no..! How embarrassing..! :$

11 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

Apart perhaps from the Welsh, we don't have a culture here that encourages everyone to sing.    

This is true. Although at the same time, we have a pretty strong amateur choral tradition. It’s odd. 

3 minutes ago, nekomatic said:

This is true. Although at the same time, we have a pretty strong amateur choral tradition. It’s odd. 

Yes, that's true and I'm a part of it. There are more people in this country in choirs singing on a regular basis than play or attend football.... It's odd that it doesn't have a higher profile. 

A lot of it stems from the cathedral tradition. The cathedral choirs generate a huge number of experienced singers who often go on to lead and conduct choirs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I’ve been fortunate to play at a number of upmarket functions north of the border where they’ve had brilliant people playing bagpipes. Changed my mind about them completely - very moving when played well in the right setting. Same with Ceilidh bands with absolutely amazing players, and great to see all the audience involved in the dancing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

And don't get me started on tambourines!

People assume that they are easy to play, and will add to the overall sound.  However, they often end up sounding like a drawer full of cutlery being dropped down the stairs.  Latterly, we took to bolting it to the drum kit rack - the drummer never played it, but the clamp ensured that it could never escape, and fall into the hands of the wrong person.

Yes. And exacerbated by their ability to cut through the mix.:(

49 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Played well, the bagpipes were surprisingly mellow and melodic. No one walked out, anyway!

I may be biased but the sound of the pipes close up stirs my heart. A full pipe band walking past is amazing. Pipers used to lead men into battle. The accordion is ok in the right situation. I'm not a huge fan of Scottish country dancing but I have enjoyed many ceilidh's. Once the drink starts flowing and the dancing starts it's great.

Our band was based on a mixture of Scottish country dance music and rock and country type music. Not my choice but it was what the punters wanted. If I had had my way we would be playing grunge and metal and would never have gotten any gigs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Did they bring the pipes because of the battle, or end up in the battle because they brought the pipes? 😄

It's easier than fighting, just make a really horrible noise and the enemy will go    "we're not ferkin' listening to this.."  and leave the scene promptly..

You could say it's a form of "sonic weapon". dunno what the Geneva Convention would have to say about it mind you...

Edited by Waddo Soqable

As support act, we arrived at the back of a decent-sized hall with the ska-punk-rock band, and approached the sound desk, just when the headlining Brittany-style rock band were doing their sound check. A couple of minutes into it, the singer brought out his cornemuse and played a note or two. All of us (nine in the group...) bounded backwards a couple of metres :swoon:; it was not just loud, it was HORRIBLY LOUD..! We hurriedly tried desperately to cover our ears and stumbled back out to the car park. We waited patiently until they'd left the stage before returning. Sonic weapon..? Geneva Convention..? Hanging's too good etc... ¬¬

• Like 1