Why become a member? ×

New Rig Required - Lots Of Help Needed!

spongebob

Apologies for the lengthy post in advance - hoping this will all make sense.....

I've been playing around 25 years, but have owned very little in the way of amps/cabs. My knowledge is poor in this area, hence I've always found what worked, and kind of stuck with it!

Started out with a Trace 715SMC. Think it was a 150w 15" combo - weighed a tone, but the output was massive. Kept it for years.

Moved on to a Markbass rig, latterly on to a Fender set-up. Had a mix of combos primarily, but some experience of separates when I was driving a convertible!

Had a year of so off, now getting back into playing - new band on the go - so need some new amplification.

Lightweight is a priority.......

Power-wise, I guess I'd like around the 400w mark. This is the hard bit - I've read on here recently about how wattage figures aren't the whole picture. I've always based previous purchases on that! I did run a Little Mark 3 into a Traveller 2x10 just before I quit - the 4ohm 400w one (that's where I got the figure) - and that seemed powerful enough to cut through a loud band. Any more than that, and I'd want to be DI'd and use it as a monitor - like to keep some level of hearing!

My style has always been with a pick, probably still will be - new US P bass. Like a nice crunchy tone, I guess classic P bass is what I'm after.

Looked again at getting another Rumble 500 combo - used to run one with the 1x15 cab - although TBH, the cab was nice, but not essential. Hoping it may do me again, wouldn't really want to start adding extra cabs again if I could help it. 

Rumble 800 combo lists at 400w, compared to the 350w of the 500. Not sure if there's much of a difference, or if I'd ever get used to the fiddling around with the numerous settings - or if they're actually any good.

That's it, really - I have got a budget, and I'd like to keep it down as much as possible! I'm not fussed about brands - so long as it's the right stuff for the job. 

Small, light, powerful, either from a single combo, or maybe a head and cab. Please feel free to educate me, and correct any inaccuracies. Perhaps it's nostalgia, but I always remember my 150w Trace being way more powerful than subsequent, higher outputting amps!

Rumble 800 combo = around £750 new, so would it be fair to use that as a steer for your budget?

Three suggestions from me:

• Bugera Veyron 1001M head (£200 new) plus used BF SC cab (£475) will give you a powerful, quality rig;
  • There's plenty of love for the Rumble 500 combo on BC, but as a budget alternative a used TC BG 250 112 should come in at sub £250 and would be hard to beat in terms of value for money;
  • MB CMD 121H is a lovely warm sounding combo (around £400 to £450 used), but I would recommend combining with something like a Tech 21 VTDI to give you additional presence and deal with high-end roll off you get from MB cabs, unless you particularly like/want that more vintage tone.

Great that you've found a new band - all the best with that!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lightweight is essential for me. I bought a Rumble 500 which I think is great. I was running it at 2/10 volume at rehearsals… so I even bought a Rumble 100 (even lighter) just for rehearsals. Not had a chance to gig the 500 yet (obviously due to Covid) but I can’t see it running out of steam.

I would prob still be using my MarkBass 121P… but I sold it thinking I wouldn’t be gigging again. Didn’t re-buy one… just fancied a change.

• Thanks 2

The Ashdown Studio range looks worth checking out but I think given the situation with the Rumble before I’d reckon that’s where to start, I’m yet to read of anyone finding the 500 watt combo not powerful enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did look at the Ashdown Studio 15, 300w. 

However, you can't attach a cab if needed, and I have read some stuff about it being a little underpowered.

Andertons are selling the OriginAL 500 off cheaply.....think its discontinued.....but leaves the problem of what to pair it with. Shame the combo is only about 300w as well.

You could use additional cabs with a combo that won't drive them if you add a power amp, but that adds cost and is more to carry. This would probably clash with your wish for something "small, light and powerful". Separate head and cabs is more flexible. You can take as much/little as you need for a particular job.

If you're spending proper money, which you appear to be, please try to visit somewhere with a decent range of options and try/compare things before making a decision. We will tend to recommend what we have/like and what suits us might not work for you. eBay, the Marketplace on here, etc are full of nearly new equipment that has probably been bought on the basis of favourable reviews. It's worth taking some time to make an informed decision.

"Small light and powerful" doesn't usually go with "moderately priced". I've no doubt you know that. If the thing you really want is a bit more than your budget, try to scrape together the extra somehow. You'll be much happier in the long term (I speak from experience) and probably better off. It's almost inevitable that, if you settle for something you don't really want, you'll probably end up buying again.

• Like 2

Second hand Ashdown ABM600 and a barefaced cab ( supertwin, compact etc ) Heaven and less than a grand-ish. Lightweight, sounds killer with a P bass and pick and loud enough for most venues. I gigged my ABM600 and an old Ampeg 410 last night. Cost £650 all in second hand and was epic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is the.Ashdown OrginAL an idea? £249 for the 500w.

Not sure what I could pair to to get the most from it?

The is a TC 500w head in Andertons for £199! I've no experience of the brand.....and can't see a good small powerful cab to match it with?

I've got a Barefaced 210s for sale in the marketplace 500w - its a 4ohm (or 12 as its switchable) so you'll get the full wattage from your amp. so plenty loud enough if you're interested.

I've also got a TC BQ500 - which I intend to keep as a backup - but could be persuaded to sell. In all honesty I am not a fan of the TC & its put me off Class D heads as a result - it just didn't feel right at volume. I think headroom with Class D is really important, so the more powerful the better.

Of all the Class D heads I tried the Aguilar TH was probably my favourite.

Never tried the Original head - but the rootmasters are decent. I like Ashdown's a lot - particularly the ABM range - which is what I use now.

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Rumble 800 combo = around £750 new, so would it be fair to use that as a steer for your budget?

Three suggestions from me:

• Bugera Veyron 1001M head (£200 new) plus used BF SC cab (£475) will give you a powerful, quality rig;
  • There's plenty of love for the Rumble 500 combo on BC, but as a budget alternative a used TC BG 250 112 should come in at sub £250 and would be hard to beat in terms of value for money;
  • MB CMD 121H is a lovely warm sounding combo (around £400 to £450 used), but I would recommend combining with something like a Tech 21 VTDI to give you additional presence and deal with high-end roll off you get from MB cabs, unless you particularly like/want that more vintage tone.

Great that you've found a new band - all the best with that!

Another vote for the MB CMD 121H

I've been using this for the last 2 years (over my Ampeg rig) and it holds up well against a loud mic'd up drummer and a 100W Marshall and 410. Everything is Di'd to the PA but it's certainly loud enough for onstage monitoring.

AND it's seriously light at 16Kg

Edited by skidder652003

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar position, sold my Aguilar/EBS rig last year as I didn’t think I would be playing again any time soon. 

I still don’t think I will have a regular band but a gig has come up with some old band mates and there may be a few sporadic gigs.

I have no idea what to buy, but unless something really cheap turns up I will probably buy new to take advantage of finance. Currently deliberating between some good deals on the following:

Ashdown OriginAL 210 combo

Ashdown Rootmaster 115 combo

Ashdown OriginAL 500 head plus a cab??

Fender Rumble 500

I really cannot decide what to do, I haven’t heard a bad word about the rumble 500 but the Ashdowns are a bit cheaper and the rootmaster is similar power.

48 minutes ago, NJE said:

I am in a similar position, sold my Aguilar/EBS rig last year as I didn’t think I would be playing again any time soon. 

I still don’t think I will have a regular band but a gig has come up with some old band mates and there may be a few sporadic gigs.

I have no idea what to buy, but unless something really cheap turns up I will probably buy new to take advantage of finance. Currently deliberating between some good deals on the following:

Ashdown OriginAL 210 combo

Ashdown Rootmaster 115 combo

Ashdown OriginAL 500 head plus a cab??

Fender Rumble 500

I really cannot decide what to do, I haven’t heard a bad word about the rumble 500 but the Ashdowns are a bit cheaper and the rootmaster is similar power.

I found myself in the same position in the second lockdown...or was it the first? Anyway, it was one of them. I'd sold my cab and amp after my last band split and then earlier this year, in a fit of optimism, decided to get something to make loud noises with.

The choice, as we all know, is actually mind boggling. I ended up buying a s/h  Peavey MiniMax from fellow Basschat member, and a Fender Rumble 210 cab. It took me months to decide on each one (to the point it annoyed my wife with all the indecision). I looked at combos, heads, cabs, everything, of all the brands. I came very close to getting on end of line Ashdown combo, but just had a feeling it wouldn't be what I like. If it was now I'd have to add the new Ampeg Rocket Bass combos to my list of possibles...it's just endless.

What I bought works for me, I think. I've not had the chance to use it in a band yet, but I'm sure it'll be loud enough and I like the tone/s it can produce.

As much as I love Ashdown and will recommend their gear all day every day I’d probably pick up a used Rumble combo, see if it works for me, if not then move it on after having identified the areas/aspects where for me it was lacking.

Looking at new prices, I can get a Rootmaster 115 combo for £450 and a rumble will be around £590. I could do an OriginalAL 500 head and cab for somewhere inbetween.

My limitation at the moment is that unless I could get something like an ABM combo for around £250 I would need to do finance.

There are so many options but I am slightly swayed by Ashdowns good customer service.

On 27/06/2021 at 13:16, spongebob said:

Perhaps it's nostalgia, but I always remember my 150w Trace being way more powerful than subsequent, higher outputting amps!

Not nostalgia - it was probably true!!!

If you were happy with your previous TE why not go with another respected, British built, brand with excellent customer service? 

Loads of people have already recommended Ashdown - designed and built by the same team as your TE - great tonal packages, lightweight and generally reliable. Can't remember when I heard of one going down. If you ever have any problems they are members here, @Ashdown Engineering, and Guy and the team will work with you to resolve any issues you might have.

You can't go wrong!!

My next new amp will definitely be an Ashdown.

The Stage 800 you mentioned are actually really good. The effects are useable, it comes with a foot switch and has some nice features that offer something on top of what is already a very good combo, i.e a Rumble 500. 
If you need a tuner, and aren’t a heavy pedal user, then it is worth the extra on top of a Rumble 500. I had one, sold it, and am pretty tempted to grab another. I liked the filter and chorus, the drive was usable and the compressors were pretty good. 

The Markbass 121h is tempting too, I like the form factor of the 121p and have used and liked it before, but I prefer the tweeter of the H. 

Talking of Ashdown, I've always been looking at these - 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ashdown-rootmaster-rm-c115t-500-evo-bass-amp-combo

However, I've no idea of what it produces without an extension cab....500w with....doesn't mention without!

Guess it's a link to my old Trace 1x15....

Not sure if it would match the power of a Rumble 500/800 alone? Or they're even made in the UK? I just love the look and the VU meter!

I have an almost new Gallien Krueger MB800 for sale in the for sale section.

Massively powerful and loud. Only 1U high and around 2kg.

2 channel, so you can have 2 separate sounds.

Works great with any cab, 4ohm or 8ohm.

Just looking at this I think you've had some good advice. One of your queries was about power. Most of the amps have power sections that use basically similar or identical electronics. There are a lot that do 300W into 8ohms and 500W into 4ohms. Frankly this is enough for anyone and conveniently matches the power handling of a single 8ohm cab, and two cabs give four ohms so you still have the power of the amp and speakers pretty much where you want. With so much choice at the 300/500W range you may as well start looking there. I notice there is a fairly pristine Ashdown Rootmaster in the for sale ads here. Buying used means you can get most or all of your money back if you change your mind. The outlier amongst what you've been recommended is the Bugera which uses a bridged version of the Behringer power amps for the output and puts out a genuine 800W. I've only heard positive rsponses from people who own this amp. 

Ashdown are a great company, they are British and they take after sales really seriously often repairing gear long after their legal guarantees run out and always willing to offer advice, often in these forums. Hats off to @Ashdown Engineering

The thing is with such a wide range of choices you really need to start testing things out because they will all do the job and the difference is in the sound. No amount of internet advice will help you there. In the end after buying a MarkBass and trying a range of others I bought a Peavey Minimax and just love the sound straight out of the box. It looks however like you are a combo man so try those first. It's hard to go wrong really so choose on sound and enjoy your new band.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Phil, super stuff.

Guess I'm a bit tied between another Rumble 500, know they're fab, and the Ashdown 115.

Just a bit worried that it may be a bit underpowered, and would need a cab from the off, something I'd like to ideally avoid.

Andertons are selling some Ashdown stuff at good prices. There's the OriginAL 300 kickback combo, but that would definitely need a cab!

If you’re open to the idea of seperate head and cab, I would recommend looking for a used GK MB Fusion. Valve preamp, and the 2 switchable channels mean you go from crisp and clean, to warm and driven with one click of a footswitch. I’ve owned class D heads by TC, Genz, Aguilar, Darkglass, but i kept the GK far longer than any of the others 

• Like 1

I’ve had em all,combos are heavy so allways ruled them out,TC heads are worth a look,ive got one they have effects built in just download onto your phone and you have any sound you want,I would recommend  Galien Kruger fusion as stated ,light and they do the lot,cab wise the light cabs out there are the markbass,Bareface Vanderklay ect and the bespoke cabs,look at Bass direct up in the midlands,that’ll give you some idea

Im running a Galien Kruger 800 fusion with two 2-10 cabs and it sounds the nuts,the next two weekends I’ve got two outdoor gigs so I’ll be using my Trace elliot 350 smx cos it looks the nuts and sounds the nuts but it’s 30 years old and weighs quite a bit but blows pretty much anything away

66F6B68E-435A-4198-B365-A9013291A38D.jpeg

Edited by status1