Why become a member? ×

Well, I've taken the plunge...

Peloquin

Tbh I wouldn't expect many people to have heard of some of my favourite bands, let alone individual songs...

Eg... One of constant plays right now is "1428" by Shadow Windhawk and the Morticians.

Or"suicide Pact" by Nim Vind 

"Killer in Texas" by Ghoultown etc...etc ..

My musical background is a little... err... different... for example I was going to sit ABRSM grade 7 theory before lockdown happened...

It took me a while to get to a bass teacher I got on with. #1 was highly qualified but kept cancelling lessons to rehearse for gigs... to the extent that I never had a lesson with him. #2 I actually felt was OK, but primarily a guitar teacher. After 3 lessons he said to me that I was a far more experienced and capable musician than he was.... #3 was a joke. He had this converted unit which he ran as a recording studio, with a room either side. So he would have a student in each of the three rooms simultaneously and rn between them... #4 never turned up. 

I joined the newly set-up branch of Rock School and their adult group. Lockdown happened but they assigned me a bass tutor. We had Skype lessons for a while and now in person. He's a young guy - about 24, but he's got a music degree and training as a music teacher.    

Edited by zbd1960
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I forgot to update this on Thursday. I had an hour lesson and we started on timing. Apparently I have very good timing so soon after we moved on to learning the minor pentatonic scale. Stretching from 2-5 was a bit harder than I expected but I've been practicing for about an hour a day plus every now and again just grabbing the bass and running through everything we've done so far.

The teacher seems happy with progress so far and now I actually have something solid to practice instead of just noodling or watching tabs on YouTube I think I'm actually improving and so enjoying it more.

Now I just need a bass of my own... I'm loving the one I'm using (it's a mates that he likes to lend out to people to get them started, no chance of him selling it)... It's a Tanglewood Warrior II.

I'm hoping for a bit of advise on what to buy tbh...I want full scale, not TOO heavy with a budget of around £200.

Is this a realistic budget to get something decent?

24 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

Ooh, I forgot to update this on Thursday. I had an hour lesson and we started on timing. Apparently I have very good timing so soon after we moved on to learning the minor pentatonic scale. Stretching from 2-5 was a bit harder than I expected but I've been practicing for about an hour a day plus every now and again just grabbing the bass and running through everything we've done so far.

The teacher seems happy with progress so far and now I actually have something solid to practice instead of just noodling or watching tabs on YouTube I think I'm actually improving and so enjoying it more.

Now I just need a bass of my own... I'm loving the one I'm using (it's a mates that he likes to lend out to people to get them started, no chance of him selling it)... It's a Tanglewood Warrior II.

I'm hoping for a bit of advise on what to buy tbh...I want full scale, not TOO heavy with a budget of around £200.

Is this a realistic budget to get something decent?

£200 is perfect - the door will be open to a load of good quality basses that won't hold you back as you progress. Buy from the classifieds on here if you can and you'll easily get a great bass - the people on here are a great bunch as a rule and don't be scared to ask questions, we've all been where you are. Look at stuff by Yamaha, Squier and Ibanez as a starting point. As you're starting out you may find something with a "Jazz" width neck (38mm) as it's pretty slim and you should find it easier on your hands. Ibanez are known for having skinny and easy to play necks. Good luck with your new journey and always remember that you're doing it for your own enjoyment!

Edited by Mudpup
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Other option is check your local Facebook Bass gear for sale. Get some bargains on there but you do take more of a risk buying on FB. Very rarely an issue with fellow BCers

Dave

I'm not on Facebook but yes, it's an option I had considered. I was nervous however if the potential of risk.

4 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

I'm not on Facebook but yes, it's an option I had considered. I was nervous however if the potential of risk.

If you can try before buying and pay once you're happy with it. If inexperienced with basses take another bassist with you for advice.

I'm usually happy with a fellow BC'ers word when buying on here. I've sold basses on FB but try to get buyer to pick up and try it first.

Dave

• Like 1

On FB in Burnt Island in Fife Scotland so maybe a bit too far. Not too shabby.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2989922014465654/

Newcastle for this one

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/316798199944992/

This one's in Northern Ireland but i've heard a lot of great comments on Sire basses so might be worth checking if any nearer to home.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1235118733608972/

To be fair there are lots of these kind of bargains to be had.

All the very best

Dave

• Thanks 1