Why become a member? ×

Has there been a data leak?

BassTractor

Question

My iPad just gave me a notification that my BC password was found somewhere, after a data leak, and correctly identified the password.

Is one aware of a leak?

(I do see several possible explanations for this notification, but assuming this was true, I changed my password right away thinking there's no harm in doing so unless some evil bar steward is "following" us right now.)

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

10 hours ago, BassTractor said:

My iPad just gave me a notification that my BC password was found somewhere, after a data leak, and correctly identified the password.

Is one aware of a leak?

(I do see several possible explanations for this notification, but assuming this was true, I changed my password right away thinking there's no harm in doing so unless some evil bar steward is "following" us right now.)

I had this a while ago, along with a few other sites. I wondered if it was anything to do with a firmware upgrade, but changed a bunch of passwords just the same.

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2021 at 11:33, ezbass said:

I had this a while ago, along with a few other sites. I wondered if it was anything to do with a firmware upgrade, but changed a bunch of passwords just the same.

Thanks, ezbass. I wondered: firmware upgrade where? Your end?

Me, I've mainly used one laptop and one phone. May have used the iPad too, can't be sure. But it was a notification from what I suppose must be Apple, and only about BassChat.

What tech they have in place, I don't know, but I'd guess that when Apple gets hold of a list of compromised e-mail addresses, that they simply scan it for Apple users, and notify those.

Q remains: has BC had a data leak one is aware of? @ped?

best,

bert

43 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Thanks, ezbass. I wondered: firmware upgrade where? Your end?

Me, I've mainly used one laptop and one phone. May have used the iPad too, can't be sure. But it was a notification from what I suppose must be Apple, and only about BassChat.

What tech they have in place, I don't know, but I'd guess that when Apple gets hold of a list of compromised e-mail addresses, that they simply scan it for Apple users, and notify those.

Q remains: has BC had a data leak one is aware of? @ped?

best,

bert

iOS upgrade at my end. I received notification of potential data breaches on a number of sites. 

• Thanks 1