Why become a member? ×

Chunky Jazz Neck

NJE

I think this is a fairly straightforward question, which Jazz type bass has the chunkiest neck? I am used to a Stingray and really struggled with a Japanese 66 Jazz I had, I kept getting cramp, so I don’t want anything too thin but want to try a Jazz again.

I know out of the fenders the American Original 70s had the U shape neck which seems a little thicker, but are there any chunkier ‘jazz’ necks out there?

How do Sire, Harley Benton, Schecter etc stack up?

I have an 80s Tokai Jazz sound which has quite precision like neck dimensions and is also a great bass. Fender custom shop relics can be surprisingly chunky also. Haven't tried any of the other brands you mention.

precision neck on a Jazz body might be a solution?

Edited by GuyR

59 minutes ago, GuyR said:

I have an 80s Tokai Jazz sound which has quite precision like neck dimensions and is also a great bass. Fender custom shop relics can be surprisingly chunky also. Haven't tried any of the other brands you mention.

precision neck on a Jazz body might be a solution?

Now you mention it I have heard that about some older Tokai basses, will have to keep an eye out.

I dont want to spend much at this point as I am not sure if a Jazz will work for me sound wise,  but if it does, a P neck on a jazz could be the best option.

14 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

As far as I know the US Geddy Lee has a fairly chunky neck. And is reputed to be one of the best Jazzes around as well.

That’s interesting, didn’t the old Japanese/Mexican ones have seriously small necks? 

Part of me wants to buy something cheap but the reckless part of me says jump in and get something good, so nice to know the Geddy would be worth trying along with the 70s Jazz.

7 hours ago, NJE said:

That’s interesting, didn’t the old Japanese/Mexican ones have seriously small necks? 

Part of me wants to buy something cheap but the reckless part of me says jump in and get something good, so nice to know the Geddy would be worth trying along with the 70s Jazz.

My CIJ Geddy has a neck like a pencil! 🤣

11 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Make a Bitsa Jazz with a P bass neck? If you’re wanting to experiment and not pay much this could be the best way to do it. You can always shave the P bass neck to your liking.

This.

There is a thread that I will try to find of Basschatters near to you who are happy to help out if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

Update:

Edited by Mykesbass

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

As far as I know the US Geddy Lee has a fairly chunky neck. And is reputed to be one of the best Jazzes around as well.

You're quite right, Lozz - I briefly owned a US Ged, and the neck is indeed chunky for a Jazz. Total opposite of the older MIJ ones.

Hard to find at the mo - and the new prices, when they arrive, look to be well over 2k. Nice bass, but that's a fair chunk of cash!

• Like 1

I think your all right, it may be much simpler to buy the bits and put something together. That would also give me the option to spec a few other things as well.

I would love an Ebony board and lollipop tuners for a start.