Why become a member? ×

Bob Babbit

stewblack

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

Don’t know how he got so famous when all his alleged work was actually played by carol kaye …😉🍿

It's interesting to hear him say how common it was to claim to have played on those uncredited sessions. People did it just to get the work. 

Carol on the other hand, well, memory can play tricks as we get older. 

• Like 1

In one book I read he says he and Jameson  were listening to a song on a bar that they’d both played the part for and they couldn’t agree which of them they were actually hearing on the final cut to vinyl 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This has lead me down a wormhole, and I’ve ended up at “going back” by Phil Collins.

Babbitt plays on the majority of the tracks, bass on the others are taken on by PC Himself who does a nice job.

Now listening to inner City Blues which is a beauty 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

This has lead me down a wormhole, and I’ve ended up at “going back” by Phil Collins.

Babbitt plays on the majority of the tracks, bass on the others are taken on by PC Himself who does a nice job.

Now listening to inner City Blues which is a beauty 

Spinners for me! Could lose a few days to this man's back catalogue 

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Don’t know how he got so famous when all his alleged work was actually played by carol kaye …😉🍿

From what I’ve read over the years, some of these bassists where in the right place at the right time and made the right notes and feel work….they also did so many sessions, either per week or per day, that who played on what became a little ‘foggy’ as not all sessions were completely catalogued.

Many sessions were recorded several times in different studios (East Coast/West Coast...) by the 'house' bass players, and which 'cut' from which studio was used on which pressing is almost impossible, now, to catalogue. There are many tracks recorded by all of these artists; they are all 'right' in claiming they recorded them. Which one was released..? They don't know, either. xD

Edited by Dad3353

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

Great track. Since listening to it one night through headphones a while back I always think I can hear two lines in there? 

Drunken Punch up at a wedding (or similar) by Radiohead is more or less a direct lift of it too…