Why become a member? ×

String of Choice - Dunlop

Crawford13

I’ve recently bought a bass that has what I think are Dunlop flats on it, and they’re very nice, tension good, sound good. I’ve never really gelled with flats but these ones just seem to work, so I may we’ll look into their rounds as well.

• Like 1

I was given a set to try (SB nickels, but 45-125) and ended up using the 45-105 out of the pack as 4 string set since they were all I had around that was suitable to put on a Precision that had come out of retirement and needed freshening up. They felt fine, but the lower tension didn't do it for me on a top loading bass and I ended up getting rid and replacing them with my usual EXL165s.

However, a couple of months ago I bought a USA Pro Jazz 5 and the Fender strings that came on it felt like playing the Humber Bridge. I ordered a set of Dunlops for it and the combination of slightly lower tension than I normally like, but stringing through the body instead of top loading, seems to have rounded out at a very pleasing feel indeed. I think they'll be the strings I stick with on that bass, but I just need this set to wear out so I can put a new Hipshot A bridge on next time I restring, because the current Fender USA bridge is a proper knuckle-shredder and needs to go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been using tapewounds on all my 5ers for the past few months. They give me that phat, old skool soul/ funk sound I've been chasing for years.

Nice smooth feel, tension and tones. 

I'd recommend them - the Warwick and Fender ones are very affordable at under £30. Status are sold out but can supply odd strings.

On 30/07/2021 at 16:33, Pirellithecat said:

Hi, Anyone compared /have experience of the TI flats v the Dunlops?   I really like the TI's, but they are too "floppy" for my Sandberg.   Using Fender Flats which are "OK" but not great.

Try La Bella 760FX - little more tension than the TIs. 

On 30/07/2021 at 16:33, Pirellithecat said:

Hi, Anyone compared /have experience of the TI flats v the Dunlops?   I really like the TI's, but they are too "floppy" for my Sandberg.   Using Fender Flats which are "OK" but not great.

I haven't had TIs in a long time, but a close friend has them on all his basses and I have a go regularly. Dunlop and Fender flats are my favourite strings and I always have at least one bass with each. I feel that in a way all three share rich, complex, somewhat growly midrange and plenty of sustain. Dunlops are probably closer to TIs in pliability, smooth feel (they are smoother in fact) and the more traditional note envelope. At £31 that GuitarGuitar sells them for, worth a try.