Why become a member? ×

PJ pickup question?

I'm about to embark on a pj side project (just for fun).  I've got P and J pickups and I'm thinking about wiring a standard P harness with the J wired direct to the jack, as I like to run the J on full all the time. Then my theory is that if I turn the volume to full, I get both pickups, then by rolling off I sort of blend the two pickups.

Will this work? I guess the J will run super bright as there's no tone pot for it, but that's ok.

Alternatively, I might go for a push/pull volume pot, and wire both pickups to it, then I can choose pickups. But the J direct to jack intrigues me.

Why not do VVT and then put the direct to jack bit on the switch of a push/pull pot, but the other way round to normal so pushed in is the one you normally want, ie direct out, and pulled up gives you volume control (and tone) back again?

Edited by adamg67

45 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

Why not do VVT and then put the direct to jack bit on the switch of a push/pull pot, but the other way round to normal so pushed in is the one you normally want, ie direct out, and pulled up gives you volume control (and tone) back again?

Because I'm going to wire to a 51 style control panel, so trying to keep it limited to two pots, one volume, one tone. As simple as I can make it.

51 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Because I'm going to wire to a 51 style control panel, so trying to keep it limited to two pots, one volume, one tone. As simple as I can make it.

That is a good answer. I am rubbish at keeping things simple 🙂

I’ve got a stacked volume on my MIM Mustang… instead of the pickup switch… a KiOgon loom. I agree with your tonal considerations… I like the J pickups to “hold their own”. I have Nordstrands in the Mustang… sounds great.