Why become a member? ×

Going to gigs. What do you love or hate about it?

ubit

28 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Also bands that decide to play a full run through their latest album that's only been out a few months and you haven't really connected with yet, followed by a few old classics just as an encore. Iron Maiden have done that to me 3 times now, so they won't be getting another opportunity.

I don't mind if it has been out a few months, I would expect that a tour to promote an album would have a fair amount of the new album on it, as long as there is a bit of the classic stuff too. 

Every time I have seen maiden the had been on an album tour, starting with the number of the beast - If they hadn't done that I think people would have been unhappy. 

I guess that also depends on the age of the band - like Number of the Beast I would have expected to hear most of that, Powerslave, likewise, started getting less good an idea by Somewehre in time. Now if I saw them I wouldn't really want to hear anything from the 90s on!

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't mind if it has been out a few months, I would expect that a tour to promote an album would have a fair amount of the new album on it, as long as there is a bit of the classic stuff too. 

Every time I have seen maiden the had been on an album tour, starting with the number of the beast - If they hadn't done that I think people would have been unhappy. 

I guess that also depends on the age of the band - like Number of the Beast I would have expected to hear most of that, Powerslave, likewise, started getting less good an idea by Somewehre in time. Now if I saw them I wouldn't really want to hear anything from the 90s on!

I've seen a fair few established bands touring their latest album by playing a select few of the best songs from it crafted into a gig that, if anything, actually focuses slightly more on the previous album that everybody has accepted into the fold and feels comfortable with by that point but isn't overplayed yet. I'm more than happy to accept that I might be in the minority, but for me personally, playing the entire new album is a real misfire unless you're a new band touring your debut.

I can only think of one exception - when seeing a band tour a new album and play a lot of it made me like the album a lot more - which was Arch Enemy touring Rise of the Tyrant. I just didn't 'get' that album until I heard it live and realised how big and epic it was clearly meant to sound but the studio recording just hadn't captured effectively. They've done it both ways, though, as I thought War Eternal was a great sounding recording but they couldn't perform it at all well when I went to see them live. I digress.

If Maiden ever announce that they're going to do a gig where they play through all of Fear of the Dark, nip backstage for a fisherman's friend and then come back and play through Brave New World then I'll be down at the front, but otherwise I think I'm ready to accept that I'm just not their target audience and leave them to it! :) 

Agree with some of the comments about set length - I often see bands whose material I'm not familiar with. 45 mins is fine for that.

If they are old faves, then I can go much longer. But then what is the mix of songs?

Yes, as others have said, don't play the new album in full - takes time too love all the songs.

But what to play from the back catalogue?

If it's a festival or multi-band line up then OK, play your greatest hits.

If it's your headline gig then give us a good bunch of album track faves in the mix.

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I don't care what anyone says, I hate being pushed around at a gig. The gigs I go to don't usually have this apart from a few individuals. I can look around and most other people are annoyed if someone is being pushy or over exuberant. As I say, the roar and cheer after a song is what the band love. 

I have played at gigs and people are standing watching. If I hear a roar at the end my heart fills. If I hear silence I think oh stinky poo!

I can't be doing with pushing and shoving either. Couldn't do with it even when I was in my late teens at punk gigs, so certainly not putting up with it now! Most of the bands I enjoy seem to attract a similar audience reaction to me and my friend's. Mainly there to watch and listen as well as showing support for the band. Can't be doing with people talking ( especially in the quieter songs) or obliterating my view with phones at all. Also those gits who constantly bump into you / spill beer all over the place and think that because I'm not off my face I can't be enjoying the band as much as them.

A few years ago me and a couple of mates were at a gig at The Duchess in Leeds watching ex-Stones guitarist Mick Taylor. A random bloke kept on banging around and spilling drinks on us, and one of my friends warned him not to do it again which of course he did. My mate grabbed the fella and then frogmarched him outside in an instant, job done. Rest of the gig very enjoyable! I don't go to gigs to start fights, but likewise don't pay good money to put up with being shoved around either.

Edited by casapete
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

If Maiden ever announce that they're going to do a gig where they play through all of Fear of the Dark, nip backstage for a fisherman's friend and then come back and play through Brave New World then I'll be down at the front, but otherwise I think I'm ready to accept that I'm just not their target audience and leave them to it! :) 

Way past my time - I would be there tutting and wondering what all that new stuff was.

17 minutes ago, casapete said:

A few years ago me and a couple of mates were at a gig at The Duchess in Leeds watching ex-Stones guitarist Mick Taylor. A random bloke kept on banging around and spilling drinks on us, and one of my friends warned him not to do it again which of course he did. My mate grabbed the fella and then frogmarched him outside in an instant, job done. 

I was at a gig at a place with a metal floor (metal walls, metal ceiling - yes, it was basically a metal box) in the middle of winter. There were two teenage girls running round and round screaming that were pretty well pissing everyone off, then they came round and right in front one of them went down really hard, you could really hear it on the metal. I think everyone flinched at the same time it was that loud. 

After the howling subsided and they went out, the gig was a lot better!

I hope we can all agree that anyone who holds up their phone to video the show deserves a slow and painful death under a randy bull elephant. Who are they filming it for? Who wants to watch an hour and a half show recorded on a phone with a microphone that can't handle the volume?

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I hope we can all agree that anyone who holds up their phone to video the show deserves a slow and painful death under a randy bull elephant. Who are they filming it for? Who wants to watch an hour and a half show recorded on a phone with a microphone that can't handle the volume?

Absolutely - worst one I've encountered recently was at a Clapton gig at Leeds Arena. Although I rarely do big venues we managed to get seats fairly near the front so a great view etc. Young chap next to me got his phone out just before the band came on and then spent the entire gig filming the video screen situated next to the stage, unbelievable! Think the younger generation now just take pics and videos of everything instead of living and enjoying the moment as it happens.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, casapete said:

Think the younger generation now just take pics and videos of everything instead of living and enjoying the moment as it happens.

You are so right mate. I like to enjoy the night and yet folk insist on filming it. I have yet to find a live video that was filmed on a phone on Youtube that is any good at all.

• Like 1

I love a good gig but as had been said before, some are way too short.

Doyle (ex Misfits) only do a 50 min set. 

£30 ISH for a ticket, 2 days holiday from work unless it's a close to home gig, £25 for a short etc... All adds up for a 50 min gig.

Wednesday 13 does 50 mins as well on a full gig, if it's an acoustic it can be 2.5 hours.

Merch costs are silly at some gigs, some are great.

I also hate big gigs. Give me a small, close gig any day. 

18 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

Doyle (ex Misfits) only do a 50 min set. 

£30 ISH for a ticket, 2 days holiday from work unless it's a close to home gig, £25 for a short etc... All adds up for a 50 min gig.

Last time I saw Doyle live he played probably around 50mins but that was most of his bands songs. They didn't have any more material to play.  It was a double headliner with Life of Agony who played around an hour and a half. I thought I got my money worth for £30 

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Absolutely - worst one I've encountered recently was at a Clapton gig at Leeds Arena. Although I rarely do big venues we managed to get seats fairly near the front so a great view etc. Young chap next to me got his phone out just before the band came on and then spent the entire gig filming the video screen situated next to the stage, unbelievable! Think the younger generation now just take pics and videos of everything instead of living and enjoying the moment as it happens.

they do it so that can boast to their 'friends' on Facebook and the like, what a great time they've had, thinking they're interested, well they're not, like other peoples holiday snaps, boring, they'd have a lot better time if they just watched the gig

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ubit said:

Here's an example. I was at this gig and it was ruined by people with damned phones. Who wants to see this quality?

You see the advantage of a mosh pit is no one can hold there phone up in a really lively pit. I've seen people try. I saw one dude try during Touch Me I'm Sick at a Mudhoney gig, he nearly lost his arm as well as his phone.

7 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Totally agree.

Also bands that decide to play a full run through their latest album that's only been out a few months and you haven't really connected with yet, followed by a few old classics just as an encore. Iron Maiden have done that to me 3 times now, so they won't be getting another opportunity.

I saw Dream Theater on their Scenes From A Memory tour (oh my god, 21 years ago...). 1st set, the SFAM album in its entirety... short break... 2nd set, 60+ mins of greatest hits. Amazing gig, and a good compromise I think. 

In recent years a lot of bands seem to be doing album anniversary tours, playing a 25 year old classic album in full then their newer stuff.

I can see why they want to play a lot of new stuff. A tour is normally to promote a new album and the band probably think its their best ever work and they want to play it for their fans.

If the name of the tour is the title of the new album, you've got to expect a lot of new songs.

You can’t beat a decent gig where the sound guys know what they are doing and the crowd and band are up for it. I have seen the odd dodgy gig but most have been great nights. I still get excited by a decent chance to see someone I haven’t seen before, or haven’t seen in years. Always have a few lined up but Offspring and The Hives in October should take some beating. The only thing I don’t like is where touts buy up the tickets and sell them on in a semi legal way. Thankfully most of the bands I go to aren’t big enough to attract that attention.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

The Hives in October should take some beating. 

Hives are brilliant live. I've seen them a few times and from the second they step on stage to the end of the last song, they're giving it everything they've got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I saw Dream Theater on their Scenes From A Memory tour (oh my god, 21 years ago...). 1st set, the SFAM album in its entirety... short break... 2nd set, 60+ mins of greatest hits. Amazing gig, and a good compromise I think. 

Aye, that sounds ace as compromises go - everyone gets at least the gig they want to see and some get two-for-one!

A couple of the replies have brought up memories:

Album tours - I saw Lou Reed a few years ago when he toured the Berlin album. That is an album that works when played live in its entirety. He was incredible. There was a children's choir and the while production was just fantastic. He played Satellite of Love for an encore and came to the front of stage to sign autographs afterwards. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Bumpers - I saw Suede when they toured Dog Man Star many moons ago. There was a loud studenty type bloke annoying everyone during the support act; jumping around and generally being a nuisance. When Suede came on I looked over to the side of the hall and saw the annoying git lying on the floor fast asleep, where he remained for the entire set.

On 27/06/2021 at 10:51, Elfrasho said:

This might be a bit controversial but I think sets go on just a bit too long! Im almost akways ready to go up the road before the encore! I know we pay alot for tickets these days so we probably want more for the money, but personally I'd rather it to be slightly short, rather than going on too long! 

Not controversial at all IMO. All depends on the band and the material (for me, Prog bands can get away with longer sets because of their material), but I don’t really want so see 2 hrs plus under normal circumstances. I’ve seen Babymetal twice and they did an hour both times, seemed about right.