Why become a member? ×

Going to gigs. What do you love or hate about it?

ubit

7 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

OK, let’s talk support bands.

Love: Discovering a great or just interesting new band who are playing support ( ok, you have to kiss a few frogs😃)

Hate: People ignoring the support band.

Indeed I have discovered many "new" bands by going early and catching them.

1 hour ago, ubit said:

You are obviously quite young. I still enjoy going to Metal, Grunge and Rock gigs. I  don't begrudge those down the front enjoying the gig as they want to but if I'm standing further back and someone barges me I get annoyed. I contribute as much to the atmosphere by bouncing around and clapping and cheering. I just don't like barging anymore.

Why should I be disallowed to go to Rock gigs just because I don't want to join a mosh pit? Many of these bands owe me as I have supported them since they began. The newer ones owe me as well as I might buy their music on the strength of their performance. They are there to entertain me not the other way around.

I'm not young, I'm in my 40s. Metal and punk gigs have never been places for polite behaviour and if you go expecting it you're just going to be angry all night. 

I don't agree that any bands owe you, or anyone anything. You bought their records but you paid money in exchange for a product. Bands should always perform as well as they can but if the entire audience is just stood there looking bored, they'll soon lose motivation because they'll think their efforts aren't going down well. If they've got a crowd responding well, they'll feel good and play better.

35 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Love: Discovering a great or just interesting new band who are playing support ( ok, you have to kiss a few frogs😃)

27 minutes ago, ubit said:

Indeed I have discovered many "new" bands by going early and catching them.

Likewise. On the punk scene you get the established bands playing often with newer bands supporting and some of those support bands have been excellent, and have gone on to be big bands in their own right. It might be cool (in some peoples minds) to only watch the main band but in my experience that means missing out on what just might end being your new favourite band. 

• Like 1

I’m in my late ‘50s and first started my gig going seeing metal bands. The behaviour was generally perfectly polite. The first time I ever remember being pushed was at an outdoor Stones gig in 1990. The first time I ever saw a mosh-pit (if you could call it that) was at a Bow Wow Wow gig in 1982; basically Psychobillies going nuts. I was right at the front and that was going on behind me. I personally didn’t see it transfer to metal gigs until a long, long time after that. 

39 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Absolutely great shout. I always watch the support band. 

Also I have been support gigs a few times thinking that it's a great opportunity to reach out to new people, when in reality about 50 people at best are there actually watching you, I am super grateful for those 50 people, but the expectation in my head is always for more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Likewise. On the punk scene you get the established bands playing often with newer bands supporting and some of those support bands have been excellent, and have gone on to be big bands in their own right. It might be cool (in some peoples minds) to only watch the main band but in my experience that means missing out on what just might end being your new favourite band. 

I've seen some surprising support acts at punk gigs. Anti Nowhere League supporting NOFX. Sham 69 supporting Anti Flag and a folk band whose name I forget supporting Dead Kennedys.

1 hour ago, ubit said:

Many of these bands owe me as I have supported them since they began. The newer ones owe me as well as I might buy their music on the strength of their performance.

Wow, I would never think a band or even a person "owes" me anything. Not really sure why they would owe you anything. I'm sure the appreciate your support, but to feel they owe you something will only lead to frustration on your end. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Wow, I would never think a band or even a person "owes" me anything. Not really sure why they would owe you anything. I'm sure the appreciate your support, but to feel they owe you something will only lead to frustration on your end. 

Bands rely on their fans. Have you never heard a band say it's thanks to you that we have done such and such?

Edit- Bands are nothing without their support. They would wither and die and lose their contracts.

Edited by ubit

31 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I don't agree that any bands owe you, or anyone anything. You bought their records but you paid money in exchange for a product. Bands should always perform as well as they can but if the entire audience is just stood there looking bored, they'll soon lose motivation because they'll think their efforts aren't going down well. If they've got a crowd responding well, they'll feel good and play better.

You don't need to jump around moshing to show appreciation for a band. Some of the best gigs I have been to the crowd are standing nodding but the roar after the songs is what the band loves. They can see people enjoying the gig by clapping, nodding their head or bouncing. All perfectly acceptable forms of enjoyment.

5 minutes ago, ubit said:

Bands rely on their fans. Have you never heard a band say it's thanks to you that we have done such and such?

Edit- Bands are nothing without their support. They would wither and die and lose their contracts.

That applies to anyone selling a product. If they're selling a good product, people will keep buying it. I really disagree about owing their fans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveXFR said:

That applies to anyone selling a product. If they're selling a good product, people will keep buying it. I really disagree about owing their fans. 

If they are selling a product and someone buys it you are in their debt for helping them. I'm sure the bands would appreciate this. Certainly the smaller bands.

Just now, ubit said:

You don't need to jump around moshing to show appreciation for a band. 

You don't have to, of course not but that's what happens at metal and punk shows. It's all friendly, everyone is having a good time, if someone falls down they get helped up. It's been normal for decades and it's not going away any time soon. There are genres of metal where it doesn't happen such as black metal and doom.

6 minutes ago, ubit said:

I'm sorry but I just can't get behind this point of view at all. That doesn't mean that you are not allowed to feel like that, I just can't relate at all. 

"you" as a collective when referring to a fan base is very different than referring to "you"  as an individual. 

4 minutes ago, ubit said:

If they are selling a product and someone buys it you are in their debt for helping them

Not at all, they would be in debt to you if you gave them money for nothing in return. You have paid for a product or service therefore the transaction is complete. 

Also appreciating support is very different from being in debt to some one. 

Edited by Crawford13

1 minute ago, SteveXFR said:

You don't have to, of course not but that's what happens at metal and punk shows. It's all friendly, everyone is having a good time, if someone falls down they get helped up. It's been normal for decades and it's not going away any time soon. 

And quite often the bands will stop playing mid song if someone looks to be badly hurt, to summon help from venue staff, I’ve seen that a few times. As you say Steve, happened for years and long may it continue.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I saw Joyo Mayers Nerve a few years ago, and was right next to their sound man, who is considered one of the band (I can't think of another band that operates like this) I went for the crazy drumming and stayed for the genius sound man. 

Rollins Band had Theo Van Rock, their sound engineer, listed as a member.

• Like 1

This might be a bit controversial but I think sets go on just a bit too long! Im almost akways ready to go up the road before the encore! I know we pay alot for tickets these days so we probably want more for the money, but personally I'd rather it to be slightly short, rather than going on too long! 

Yep, a 45min set, even from my fave bands is generally enough for me. If they’ve got an hours worth of hits then fair play I can last that but anything more and my attention span wanes. I prefer to hear new songs on recordings rather than live so debuting half of the new album at a gig doesn’t usually work for me (and indeed it’s something I always tried to stop my band from doing).

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yep, a 45min set, even from my fave bands is generally enough for me. If they’ve got an hours worth of hits then fair play I can last that but anything more and my attention span wanes. I prefer to hear new songs on recordings rather than live so debuting half of the new album at a gig doesn’t usually work for me (and indeed it’s something I always tried to stop my band from doing).

I think there's an interview with Johnny Ramone somewhere where he says 20 minutes is enough for unknown originals bands, do your best songs then get off before the audience gets bored, I do agree with him

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Elfrasho said:

This might be a bit controversial but I think sets go on just a bit too long! Im almost akways ready to go up the road before the encore! I know we pay alot for tickets these days so we probably want more for the money, but personally I'd rather it to be slightly short, rather than going on too long! 

I agree. Years ago we went to see The Georgia Satellites. They were great but they played on and on. The band think they are doing this for the fans and to be fair a few up the front were loving it but they forget that we have been standing for probably three hours before they came on plus queueing up outside. By the time they have played an hour we are ready for the off.

• Like 1

I don't care what anyone says, I hate being pushed around at a gig. The gigs I go to don't usually have this apart from a few individuals. I can look around and most other people are annoyed if someone is being pushy or over exuberant. As I say, the roar and cheer after a song is what the band love. 

I have played at gigs and people are standing watching. If I hear a roar at the end my heart fills. If I hear silence I think oh stinky poo!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

debuting half of the new album at a gig doesn’t usually work for me

Totally agree.

Also bands that decide to play a full run through their latest album that's only been out a few months and you haven't really connected with yet, followed by a few old classics just as an encore. Iron Maiden have done that to me 3 times now, so they won't be getting another opportunity.

On the other hand, album anniversary gigs or full-on performances of concept albums I'm well up for, because you know exactly what to expect and if you don't like that one, you don't go. Well, unless you're dragged along by a mate who bought the tickets and loves the album in question but neglects to mention any details... I remember expecting a WASP greatest hits gig and got The Crimson Idol in its entirety, complete with video projections. Most memorable thing about that night was getting my drink spiked.