Why become a member? ×

Cover Versions You Knew Long Before the Original

Mykesbass

:wumpscut: - All Cried Out

the original is by No Angels - some German pop group i've never heard of, but apparently they're quite famous!

one of the first albums i owned was Fairport Convention's "Heyday", which (i didn't realise at the time) had quite a few covers on: Reno, Nevada, Bird on a Wire, I Still Miss Someone... even after hearing the originals, i still prefer Fairport's version of most of those.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2021 at 23:08, chriswareham said:

Check out the Sisters' version - they reproduce the intro pretty much as per the original, since I don't think that can be improved on, but give it a sense of menace to reflect the death of hippy culture at Altamont. They also twist the lyrics, so rather than love being a kiss away and war a shot away, it's war that's a kiss away and love that's a shot (of drugs) away.

Always felt that The Sisters gave this song a much needed shot of their methedrine fuelled darkness.  Emma is magnificent - that howl Eldritch does at the end is soul wrenching.

Spolier Alert: I'm a huge sisters fan.

On 29/06/2021 at 22:20, Witch Hazel said:

:wumpscut: - All Cried Out

the original is by No Angels - some German pop group i've never heard of, but apparently they're quite famous!

All Cried Out was written by Alison Moyet, Steve Jolley and Tony Swain and was included on "Alf", Alison Moyets album in 1984. Remember loving it when it came out (still do). I think No Angels released their version in 2002.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJTee said:

Had never heard the AC/DC version. Think this was a b-side on the Sweet Child O’Mine 12”. Loved it. Full of energy.

You had never heard the AC/DC version? What age are you?......... 12? 😂

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Hardly if it is referring a track on an album that is 34 years old.

Even more so when it's been such a well known song for 34 years and thanks for ruining the joke by the way

Edited by ubit

8 hours ago, JJTee said:

Well I’d never heard it in 1987. When I was in fact 12! Heatseeker was the first AC/DC song for me… in 1988.

It’s an age thing. For me, creeping towards 60, it’s one of the most famous rock tracks there is. 

• Like 1

I knew this

Long before I heard the original.  A guy called Richard Torrence.  Clearly he didn't ever make it big but I really like his version.  My old covers band used to do this, used to love playing it.

10 hours ago, Paul S said:

The Whitesnake cover of this

I hadn’t realised that was a cover! (Although I’ve only heard the version off the 1980s live album with the proper lineup, not the poodle-haired USA version)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nilebodgers said:

I hadn’t realised that was a cover! (Although I’ve only heard the version off the 1980s live album with the proper lineup, not the poodle-haired USA version)

Well the thread has been worth it just for that! Hope you like the original?