Why become a member? ×

Cover Versions You Knew Long Before the Original

Mykesbass

20 hours ago, chriswareham said:

The Sisters always managed to improve on the original versions of the songs they covered, particularly Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones), Emma (Hot Chocolate) and Jolene (Dolly Parton).

Can’t agree with any of that. I’m perfectly familiar with the Sisters and have no problem with them but I don’t think any of their versions of the above come remotely close to the originals, they all lack everything that makes the originals great. I mean, their version of Jolene just sounds incredibly tongue-in-cheek to me, but the Sisters do tend to make me chuckle a bit. Of course, YMMV. 

Edit, I see @MacDaddy already said this. Worth saying twice though!

Both versions are excellent, I didn't know about the Gloria Jones version for years after knowing the soft cell version though. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 25/06/2021 at 11:46, Ricky Rioli said:

I had a real sinking feeling once I finally realised The Fall's Mr Pharmacist was a cover

For quite a few years the Fall never did a cover - which I used to like about them.

Then they did one cover, and after that did loads. Good covers though!

Slightly amusing anecdote. 

My band Wrap Party did a video during lockdown of God gave rocknroll. We did the whole get millions of people to sing the chorus and overlay the video with all their videos kinda thing.... We did it before everyone started to do it.... Anyway... It was then when someone told me it was a cover.. My mind was blown. 

Few weeks later we were contacted by the editor of the newsletter for russ ballard asking if we'd want included in the next newsletter cos russ thought it was great! Probably distributed to about 60 people but still quite cool! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Edit, I see @MacDaddy already said this. Worth saying twice though!

Both versions are excellent, I didn't know about the Gloria Jones version for years after knowing the soft cell version though. 

Dave Ball was a big fan of Northern Soul, hence the Gloria Jones cover. Their songs are littered with hints to this. The B side of Tainted Love was a cover of Where Did Our Love Go by The Supremes, the 12" was the two blended together. Another Soft Cell single, What?, was a Melinda Marx cover. 

• Like 2

On 25/06/2021 at 13:03, Noisyjon said:

For me it was Step On by the Happy Mondays.
I was gobsmacked to hear it was a cover!:

I know the person well who co-wrote it with Kongos. He’s the leader of the church I go to!

• Like 1

These are two of my fave songs. Never realised they were covers for years…

And then there’s also this… sorta…

…one of my fave ELO songs but it’s Jeff covering a tune he wrote and recorded 7 years earlier with The Move (and covered by Todd Rundgren)

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Kids today probably think Johnny Cash wrote One, he did such a good job of owning it.

Likewise with Hurt. I'm a fan of NIN but I still have to remind myself that Cash didn't write that song for himself. 

I saw The Animals perform House of the Rising Sun just as their single was released to become a hit. Keen to hear the original I bought the Dylan album on a trip to New York shortly after. Only to lose the album shortly after returning. 
Around that time many English groups were covering obscure US artists songs. 

The Bobby Fuller Four version of I Fought The Law is almost identical to the original Crickets release recorded in 1959 when Sonny Curtis joined the band, shortly after the death of Buddy Holly. 

On 25/06/2021 at 20:35, SteveXFR said:

Summer Breeze by Type O Negative.  How did I miss that one was a cover for so many years? I still think it's the best version 

Seals and Crofts wrote and performed the original, I always thought it was an Isley Brothers original, the Isleys is definitely my favourite, but I do like the original, very CSNY.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1