Why become a member? ×

Cover Versions You Knew Long Before the Original

Mykesbass

I heard Jefferson Airplane White Rabbit on the radio yesterday. As a soul/jazz fan in my teens it was years before I got to hear this version, but knew and loved this early CTI recording by George Benson.

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Girls Just Wanna have fun - original version by Robert Hazard Robert Hazard - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - YouTube 

Rivers of Bablyon - 10 minutes ago, I heard the version by the Melodians The Melodians - "Rivers Of Babylon" (Official Audio) - YouTube  

Great thread - an opportunity for basschatters to share obscure 78s that they have in their collection!     

9 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

quite a few Bob Dylan songs, All along the Watchtower, If You Gotta Go Now, Mighty Quin, Mr Tambourine Man, probably be some more, Oh yes, the covers are always better than Bob's originals 😂

Naughty step...😆

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

quite a few Bob Dylan songs, All along the Watchtower, If You Gotta Go Now, Mighty Quin, Mr Tambourine Man, probably be some more, Oh yes, the covers are always better than Bob's originals 😂

Make You Feel My Love by Adele, too.  I had no idea! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4000 said:

Nilsson - Without You

I didn't know that either, but then I get confused between Without You, Without Her, and Living Without You. The last is actually Randy Newman, but Nilsson covers it on "Nilsson singa Newman" I think Randy plays piano on it anyhow. Damn good it is, too.

5 hours ago, cetera said:

Alone - Heart

Although this wasn’t the original either, this was the version I was familiar with, pre-Heart, as I enjoyed the series at the time. I even suggested recording a version of it to my then band, well before Heart, because I thought it could be a hit. Of course we never got round to it….🙄