Why become a member? ×

Andy Fraser

GreeneKing

If I have a favourite bass player it's probably him. Loved his playing long before I ever took up a bass myself. I could sing some of his bass lines before I even realised it was a bass that was making that amazing sound. 

So sad we lost him way too soon. 

• Like 4

Andy Fraser was a true bass innovator. Master of the bass riff. Love it when the bass and drums can just carry it all. Guitarist can stop and the thing just drives along. I used to love playing The Stealer. Epic riff.

• Like 2

Not a huge fan, I'm afraid. Neither the gravelly 'Rod Stewart' vocal tone, the lack-lustre drums, the muddy bass tone nor the far-too-long solos. Excellent guitar in moderate doses, but, for my money, they couldn't hold a stage for half-an-hour. I left before the end, second time they were on the bill. To each his/her own, of course, but I'll pass. :|

• Like 1

On 26/06/2021 at 20:20, seashell said:

I could sing some of his bass lines before I even realised it was a bass that was making that amazing sound. 

This is exactly how I started playing bass.  At age 43 I worked out it was the bass lines I had been singing along to since I was about 12, not the guitar solos!!

• Like 2

On 28/06/2021 at 11:35, Dad3353 said:

Not a huge fan, I'm afraid. Neither the gravelly 'Rod Stewart' vocal tone, the lack-lustre drums, the muddy bass tone nor the far-too-long solos. Excellent guitar in moderate doses, but, for my money, they couldn't hold a stage for half-an-hour. I left before the end, second time they were on the bill. To each his/her own, of course, but I'll pass. :|

Bluddy Planet Rock keep playing Free songs to death, mostly just the usual suspects. Don't get all the credits Paul Rogers gets for his singing. Just check out the appalling 'Radioactive' made with Jimmy Page as The Firm where IMO the vocal is pretty weak.  I prefer the other The Firm who made Star Trekkin'. Anyway credit where credit's due there are some nice basslines on Free songs e.g. Mr Big.

Edited by Barking Spiders

Paul Rogers is regarded as one of the best Blues/Rock vocalists, considering his age, he still sings the Free and Bad Co stuff in the original keys when performing live, probably sounding better than ever.

Most of the rock vocalists his age now have shagged voices and can hardly perform or need to change the song keys to suit their fading vocals.

Have to totally disagree on your comments, hey, but each to their own.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 25/06/2021 at 11:14, GreeneKing said:

I rarely post nowadays. I was inspired to say how much I'm surprised at the bass tone on old Free songs. I'm well old enough to know Free intimately but I have been re-engaging to some of their stuff courtesy of streaming (Tidal through Sonos speakers). I didn't have a bassists head the first time I heard Free. His tone is awesome. Nice playing too, nothing frivolous but driving the songs along well up in the mix.

Interesting guy too was Andy. Great songwriter. 

Yes you so right ,  I think once free came to my ears you just can’t forget that sound , and it shows that when a band forms and and gels that well they can do amazing stuff , sadly short lived but a lasting impact , and most of all I think people who understand how Andy’s playing was so incredibly good really understand music and  just get it , 👍

On 28/06/2021 at 14:26, Oopsdabassist said:

This is exactly how I started playing bass.  At age 43 I worked out it was the bass lines I had been singing along to since I was about 12, not the guitar solos!!

Yes thats it , like you , I also feel the bass humming along and from that moment you just want a bass , but it seems even higher standard professional bassist can’t quite get his sound of his playing just flows so good , and personally I don’t think it’s just his gear it’s the man himself that was so good , that’s what I see maybe I am wrong but you certainly hit the nail on the head how bass  gets inside to your soul before the other instruments have same impact 😊

On 29/06/2021 at 16:38, steantval said:

Paul Rogers is regarded as one of the best Blues/Rock vocalists, considering his age, he still sings the Free and Bad Co stuff in the original keys when performing live, probably sounding better than ever.

Most of the rock vocalists his age now have shagged voices and can hardly perform or need to change the song keys to suit their fading vocals.

Have to totally disagree on your comments, hey, but each to their own.

Mr Rodgers is indeed a fine vocalist , and his voice has barely changed , but I have a distaste for his credentials as regards to being a leader of the band and he clearly has issues for claiming top spot in bands with giving little credit to Andy Fraser , I have read and looked , tons of footage for the past 40 years and Andy’s accounts do not differ in the slightest but Rodgers claims he said this he said that but Andy’s version was  the same 100% of the time as for as writing songs etc.  

as egos go I think Rodgers had the problems not Fraser as he never mentioned him as if he did not exist , like rod Stuart disingenuous never mentions plonk or Steve Marriott just used as a platform , hence the bands break ,however  your right nobody can  hold a candle to him voice wise just a shame it’s all about me attitude and Andy has only a small credit but he’s really was the real brains of free ! Just my opinion 😊👍

• Like 1

On 26/06/2021 at 18:04, TheGreek said:

Read this thread earlier before taking Shalla out for a walk. I noticed that my in collection of Bass Guitar magazine in the hallway issue 20 was showing - featuring Andy Fraser...

Amazing or the power of coincidence?

The great msn speaks , He’s coming through too you subliminal message ha  ha