Why become a member? ×

New Laney Digbeth range

Merton

22 hours ago, gobasserk said:

I am still thinking on getting the high 410 for my Digbeth. The only thing that I don't like is the weight. 
Also interested in your review! 

I've seen the weight mentioned a few times on this thread, but that doesn't concern me as much, especially when you compare it to other 4ohm 410 cabs its still pretty light in the grand scheme of things. (the Ashdown RM-414-evo comes to mind, which is only 6 kg lighter) Plus after lugging around a Matamp 610 with no wheels around for the past 4 years it'll feel as light as a feather in comparison 😂

Right so I got the cab yesterday just in time for my bands last show of the year so perfect timing! I'll do a more in depth review in the new year once I've had a chance to do some A/B work with my old cab.

Overall I'm impressed! I have a very overdriven tone, but I found the cab to have very punchy mids, and a tight bass response, even when using my bass tuned to Drop B. The highs sung through beautifully, which is something that was missing from my Matamp 610 as they always came through sounding a bit harsh.

After playing around with the compression driver I've elected to have it on full, it seemed to lose some bite for me when it was either on half or off, but I'm sure off will suit people who have a less aggressive tone than myself. 

The only negative I can find is that it really exposes my Digitech Drop pedal. With the Matamp you could tell when it was in use (drop C# to drop B) but it was negligible and once in the mix you could hardly tell at all. With the Laney its night and day when its in use, its just muddy. So the space I'm saving with the smaller cab will be taken up by having to take my 2nd bass. Oh well 🤷‍♂️

During the show it held up great, sitting in the mix and not getting lost. I did have to roll off the bass ever so slightly as it was a bit much, but that could have been down to the room. 

As for the weight/portability its great. Yes its still a little bit heavy, but its manageable. I was able to load it into my car and carry it upstairs into our practice space all on my own. For me its a good middle ground, as I prefer taller cabs, but not the weight that comes with them. 

If you're thinking of buying this, but unsure. IMO pull the trigger, I don't think you'll regret it. 

Obligatory rig pic attached. Both my basses are Sandberg VM4s (one in Drop C# the other in Drop B) 

1212.jpg

Edited by Glennalli
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Thanks for the review! I wonder if the cab might sound even better with the Digbeth Amp on top. Because for the top I can say it sounds very unique / special. 

You would hope it would, but it sounds fantastic with the MESA D800! 

• 3 months later...

Hello! I Just bought a digbeth 500, received yesterday and played some hours to try some sounds and Feels.

I came from a darkglass alpha omega 900, i was looking for more vintage tones and a "tube-like" tone.

Looking in the used market i found some Orange ad200, some old ashdown abm500 for a good price. In the end i got some problems with my car and 1000 euro less in my pocket. With no expectation i ordered the laney, cheaper but good looking, hoping that the andertons demo was "real". In the end i am really Happy, i run it trough my old Dg 2*10 8ohm Cab, the tone Is awesome, volume Is not a problem, you can have a good clean valve tone, no gain control, but FET volume, tube volume and drive. In really Happy and i ll male this change 100 times over and over.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, benebass said:

Shameless plug - put my DB200H head up for sale. Great sound, but too much power for me at home...

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/463640-laney-digbeth-db200h-head/

I would like to try one of these. Only ever had one Laney amp and it wasn't for me at the time, ages ago now though.

But I have a few smaller powered heads already. I think maybe I'll keep my eyes open for one of the bigger ones.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stewblack said:

I would like to try one of these. Only ever had one Laney amp and it wasn't for me at the time, ages ago now though.

But I have a few smaller powered heads already. I think maybe I'll keep my eyes open for one of the bigger ones.

I am surprised that the NEXUS range never took off, but then Laney's reputation for Bass Gear went before them.

12 hours ago, stewblack said:

Appreciate this is collection only but… another BC relay…?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-Digbeth-Series-DB500H-500W-Bass-Amp-Head-/194984392245?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

8 hours ago, Merton said:

Ooh. May have popped up too soon for me, just accidentally bought a bass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 20/04/2022 at 10:36, Chienmortbb said:

I am surprised that the NEXUS range never took off, but then Laney's reputation for Bass Gear went before them.

The Cabs were really good, which is why I've accumulated a few 

Light, solid and sound great.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/04/2022 at 22:47, Sethe666 said:

Hello! I Just bought a digbeth 500, received yesterday and played some hours to try some sounds and Feels.

I came from a darkglass alpha omega 900, i was looking for more vintage tones and a "tube-like" tone.

Looking in the used market i found some Orange ad200, some old ashdown abm500 for a good price. In the end i got some problems with my car and 1000 euro less in my pocket. With no expectation i ordered the laney, cheaper but good looking, hoping that the andertons demo was "real". In the end i am really Happy, i run it trough my old Dg 2*10 8ohm Cab, the tone Is awesome, volume Is not a problem, you can have a good clean valve tone, no gain control, but FET volume, tube volume and drive. In really Happy and i ll male this change 100 times over and over.

Hey, I'm looking at a 500 at the moment as a potential back up/ home piece of kit. Is the gain and drive on the amp volume pot responsive? E.g. Can you dial it in overdriven and clean it up to pristine by backing off the input?

Thanks very much, ✌️

• 1 year later...

The very helpful people at Laney confirmed approximately half the watts at 8ohms, which I guess I was expecting.

I wonder why some manufacturers have 500w heads at 4ohms and the same head does 300w at 8ohms....more efficient in some way(?).....but no doubt far too technical for my old brain to understand! 😁

12 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

The very helpful people at Laney confirmed approximately half the watts at 8 ohms, which I guess I was expecting.

I wonder why some manufacturers have 500w heads at 4 ohms and the same head does 300w at 8ohms....more efficient in some way(?).....but no doubt far too technical for my old brain to understand! 😁

An amplifier will be able to provide a certain voltage and a certain current. As a general rule, the power at 4 ohms (or lower) will be limited by the available current and at 8 ohms, the power is limited by the voltage available.  For example, 500W into 4R (R is the correct abbreviations for ohms) is, 500/4=125. That is the current squared, so the current is just over 11 amps. At 8R, 250/8=so the current is 5.6 to get the voltage, 8Rx5.6Amps=45V approx. So the power supply is capable of a voltage of approx 45V and 11 amps. That is basically a 495watt power supply. All good.

If am amp is 500 watts into 4R and say 300 watts in to 8R, then the power supply can only supply 11 amps. If the power supply has a voltage supply of say 49V, then we achieve the 300 watts into 8R. The amplifier is current limited at 4R, in that the power supply cannot supply any more current.

Now, the actual voltages will change depending on the topology of the amps, so please do not criticise the maths. A good old class A/B amp will usually run on symmetrical rails, so will be powered by approx +49V and -49V. Some class D amps using BTL or PBTL topology will work on a single voltage rail, but the same principle applies. The power supply will be a determining factor in the overall power output of the amplifier at different impedances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, MungoBass said:

Wow! A personal shopping assistant just in time for Christmas! Thank you.

However, a 500 head wouldn’t sit on top of my little cab! There would be far too much overhang!

😂. They are actually small - 205mm x 420mm x 220mm.  It would look great atop my BF Two10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

😂. They are actually small - 205mm x 420mm x 220mm.  It would look great atop my BF Two10.

That would seem like a great pairing! 

Unfortunately, my cab is only 300mm wide, so I am limited to the 200 head, unless I change the cab! Also, the 500 head weighs more than my cab!