Why become a member? ×

New Laney Digbeth range

Merton

All I can say is that the DB500H is the first lightweight head that I really like. I prefer old heavy amps tone wise and still think they sound better. But the Digbeth got me. Still I think I would take my trusty Ashdown ABM on a tour. It acquired some seriuos reliability over the years that I don't want to miss. 

The Digbeth Pre is a nice tool to have the tone with any amp. If you play in a band with guitars I would spend some bucks more to go with the 500head -it is loud as hell! 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 07:50, Merton said:

I wonder if Brex** has anything to do with stock delays on the continent. Or if they’re just caught up in the wider supply chain delays (which let’s face it, is more likely). I’m quite tempted by the Digbeth pre pedal and also contemplating the DB200 head as a “little gig” option. It’s down to £299 at Andertons now, and in stock….

The preamp / EQ / DI / headphone amp is down to a really good value £125 at GAK. If it can deliver that bottled 'valve' tone @gobasserk shared in his clips of his DB500H (and I'm assuming there shouldn't be any reason it won't?) then I agree it's a very tempting proposition! Only thing holding me back is I've got a Tech 21 VTDI sitting on my board already, but it might be neat to have this as a standalone pedal to slip into the gig bag...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The preamp / EQ / DI / headphone amp is down to a really good value £125 at GAK. If it can deliver that bottled 'valve' tone @gobasserk shared in his clips of his DB500H (and I'm assuming there shouldn't be any reason it won't?) then I agree it's a very tempting proposition! Only thing holding me back is I've got a Tech 21 VTDI sitting on my board already, but it might be neat to have this as a standalone pedal to slip into the gig bag...

If you do purchase it, I would love a comparison! 

So the Digbeth Pre arrived. After an hour of playing I can say, that this unit is easy one of the best rock bass preamps I ever played. It's for "classic" tube tones, no Darkglass / metal distortion thing! The only thing that I am concerned about is... the first unit I bought was doa, something was clearly broken inside and was now falling arround inside the box. And the unit of today does this....somehow I don't like the sound...

Strange rattling inside the unit

The PRE is even more versatile than the 500H, the eq section allows a more detailed shaping of your sound! Like the head its strength is a warm deep bass tone that I like a lot! 

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, gobasserk said:

So the Digbeth Pre arrived. After an hour of playing I can say, that this unit is easy one of the best rock bass preamps I ever played. It's for "classic" tube tones, no Darkglass / metal distortion thing! The only thing that I am concerned about is... the first unit I bought was doa, something was clearly broken inside and was now falling arround inside the box. And the unit of today does this....somehow I don't like the sound...

The PRE is even more versatile than the 500H, the eq section allows a more detailed shaping of your sound! Like the head its strength is a warm deep bass tone that I like a lot! 

You really aren't helping my GAS for this pedal at all! Just been added to my 'wishlist'!

In terms of the rattle it seems to only be when you move it towards and away from you and not when you shake it from side to side. Wonder if that is no more than just one of the stomp switches? Would it be easy to open it up and have a quick peek inside and if nothing obvious - you could maybe send that clip to Laney to get their thoughts on it.

You've had various Tech 21 pedals recently. How does this compare to them?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Funnily enough, mine had the same rattle. I opened it up and it turned out to be a bit of a washer or similar (possibly dry lump of solder- I can't remember) that had broken off something. After investigating I couldn't work out where it had come from but the pedal has performed faultlessly ever since and appears to be built like a tank. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Funnily enough, mine had the same rattle. I opened it up and it turned out to be a bit of a washer or similar (possibly dry lump of solder- I can't remember) that had broken off something. After investigating I couldn't work out where it had come from but the pedal has performed faultlessly ever since and appears to be built like a tank. 

How highly would you rate it compared to other similar pedals you've had? 

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

How highly would you rate it compared to other similar pedals you've had? 

I'm very impressed with it. There are a lot of useable sounds from it and I find it a lot more organic sounding than a number of other similar pedals. I use it as an on/off pedal depending on the sounds I want and both channels (the eq and tube) stand up strongly independently. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You really aren't helping my GAS for this pedal at all! Just been added to my 'wishlist'!

In terms of the rattle it seems to only be when you move it towards and away from you and not when you shake it from side to side. Wonder if that is no more than just one of the stomp switches? Would it be easy to open it up and have a quick peek inside and if nothing obvious - you could maybe send that clip to Laney to get their thoughts on it.

You've had various Tech 21 pedals recently. How does this compare to them?

Well, a very good question. In my opinion, it sounds more like an analog bass head than many other pedals. It sounds very natural. 

I realy like it! I wanted the sound of my Digbeth DB500H also with other bass heads and the pedal does exactly what I hoped for. Even better because it is even more versatile than the head because of its eq section. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Well, a very good question. In my opinion, it sounds more like an analog bass head than many other pedals. It sounds very natural. 

I really like it! I wanted the sound of my Digbeth DB500H also with other bass heads and the pedal does exactly what I hoped for. Even better because it is even more versatile than the head because of its eq section. 

That completely ties in with @Old Horse Murphy was saying about it being "a lot more organic sounding than a number of other similar pedals".

I can see the old Borg saying about this pedal is going to prove true...😁

I'm really delighted for Laney (who are based not too far from where I grew up) that they seem to have such a winner on their hands!

16 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Too bad that you won't be able to feel the bass. Recorded only with a smartphone over a Hartke HyDrive 210 it delievers some serious bass......!! 
(Telecaster with single coil, as you will be able to hear..) 😉 

Digbeth PRE video via smartphone

Great review, thanks!

PS @gobasserk I should have added: I actually really LOVE your clean tone, too! What's your full clean signal chain in terms of bass, strings, amp and cab?

Edited by Al Krow

Al, my stuff might seem so odd to many bass players out there... Where do I start..?
My main basses for the last 20 years have been several Yamaha BB1000ma's as you might know 😉 A bass that I can't recommend enough.
B U T : About a year ago or so I changed to Telecaster basses. I just fell in love with the junky fad necks with maple fretboard. Due to the fact that corona killed some bands and projects I startet to fiddle arround with the Telecasters at home and they do things so well! As I only play rock music and don't have any chance to play slap style etc any more... a good solid tone is all I need. So I bought several Harley Benton cheapos and pimped them with new pick ups, hardware etc etc

And I love them. 

But the odd thing is something else...my tone, even the clean ones I get out of a quiet old item.. a Zoom B2. These old pedals are so versatile and do have any pedal I need in one pedal. (effect wise) I easily have 10 different clean preamp tones inside and with this I can match any amp or cab. And although it is older than the B3/n pedals it sounds better (in my opinion) I tried many other pedals but nothing could compete. 

Strings: I use D'Daddario nickels, they sound warm and bright. 

Amp and cabs.. I am not a friend of light and digital. I played a Trace GP11 preamp with an external poweramp or simple Hartke LH1000 heads before I switched to one of Mark Gooday's Ashdown ABM heads. I toured with Ashdown and I love that this amp never let me down on the road! 
But again, with the B2 I can find my sound with any amp. The Digbeth is now finally a pedal (or head) that gives me some real tube sound (even without tube) 

(I tried digi amps of Markbass, Glockenklang etc etc, nothing beats a good transformer) 
Cabs..well, that's still an issue... my 410 Ashdown ist trusty and LOUD but I love my Hartke HyDrive 210 and I think I will get a second one. It just sound so cool and crisp and has so much low end. 

So right now my chain is: Telecaster with a Boss looper that goes A/B = Digbeth or B2 --- Ashdown ABM--cab

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Al, my stuff might seem so odd to many bass players out there... Where do I start..?
My main basses for the last 20 years have been several Yamaha BB1000ma's as you might know 😉 A bass that I can't recommend enough.
B U T : About a year ago or so I changed to Telecaster basses. I just fell in love with the junky fad necks with maple fretboard. Due to the fact that corona killed some bands and projects I startet to fiddle arround with the Telecasters at home and they do things so well! As I only play rock music and don't have any change to play slap style etc any more... a good solid tone is all I need. So I bought several Harley Benton cheapos and pimped them with new pick ups, hardware etc etc

And I love them. 

But the odd thing is something else...my tone, even the clean ones I get out of a quiet old item.. a Zoom B2. These old pedals are so versatile and do have any pedal I need in one pedal. (effect wise) I easily have 10 different clean preamp tones inside and with this I can match any amp or cab. And although it is older than the B3/n pedals it sound better (in my opinion) I tried many other pedals but nothing could compete. 

Strings: I use D'Daddario nickels, they sound warm and bright. 

Amp and cabs.. I am not a friend of light and digital. I played a Trace GP11 preamp with an external poweramp or simple Hartke LH1000 heads before I switched to one of Mark Gooday's Ashdown ABM heads. I toured with Ashdown and I love that this amp never let me down on the road! 
But again, with the B2 I can find my sound with any amp. The Digbeth is now finally a pedal (or head) that gives me some real tube sound (even without tube) 

(I tried digi amps of Markbass, Glockenklang etc etc, nothing beats a good transformer) 
Cabs..well, that's still an issue... my 410 Ashdown ist trusty and LOUD but I love my Hartke HyDrive 210 and I think I will get a second one. It just sound so cool and crisp and has so much low end. 

So right now my chain is: Telecaster with a Boss looper that goes A/B = Digbeth or B2 --- Ashdown ABM--cab

Great post, thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/11/2021 at 11:30, gobasserk said:

Does this pedal only run on a PSU or does it take batteries as well?

Any of you good people tried the DB200H?  I'm sorely tempted at the discounted price Andertons are knocking the last few out at.  It goes without saying ( 😊! ) that I don't need one as I've been perfectly happy with my TC RH750 for the last six years or so - but at that price, trying something different isn't going to be too costly an experiment.