Why become a member? ×

New Laney Digbeth range

Merton

On 19/07/2021 at 18:45, uk_lefty said:

Fair enough in some ways... Just seems odd. I don't fully understand the Watts vs ohms thing but if you make a 200 and 500 watt head why are the cabs 400 and 600 Watts...? To give additional cover so you don't drive the speakers too hard...? 

Cabinet ratings are down to the drivers; a 600 watt 410 implies the drivers are rated at 150 watts each.  I practice its not as straightforward as that; a clean signal, for example, will be easier for a driver than a clipped signal. 

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I took delivery of one of the preamp pedals earlier today. Very well built and some very nice features, including the Tilt function. The Tube channel ( well, emulated Tube) sounds pretty good too and does what it says on the tin. 

Thanks for the info.

Dare I ask how this would compare to a Sansamp BDDI V2?

Asking for a friend...

Cheers,

Eude

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, eude said:

Thanks for the info.

Dare I ask how this would compare to a Sansamp BDDI V2?

Asking for a friend...

Cheers,

Eude

I've only used a Sansamp a handful

of times so I'm probably not the best person to answer that question, sorry. 

From memory, I find the Laney a bit more intuitive and find the "valve" a bit more valves than the Sansamp. The on-the-fly Tilt adjustment is quite a nice feature too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I've only used a Sansamp a handful

of times so I'm probably not the best person to answer that question, sorry. 

From memory, I find the Laney a bit more intuitive and find the "valve" a bit more valves than the Sansamp. The on-the-fly Tilt adjustment is quite a nice feature too. 

Thanks matey.

I think having two sounds in one pedal, along with the DI would certainly be more useful.

I may just have to bite the bullet....

Cheers,

Eude

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, eude said:

Thanks matey.

I think having two sounds in one pedal, along with the DI would certainly be more useful.

I may just have to bite the bullet....

Cheers,

Eude

Do it. You know you want to. Do it do it do it.

#helping

• Haha 2

Digbeth?

An odd place to name an amp after, I suspect their tongue was firmly in their cheek. Do they smell of stale tobacco and wee?

I have a Laney humming gently to itself right here, it is very old - even the very nice people from Laney said it is an early one.

• 1 month later...

Agree with both comments above. I have lumped in with an Orange Terror Bass now but I would still like to see a user review of the Digbeth 500 head. Who knows what might happen in the future and it has got some good features for the price.

I think it is a shame they haven’t come up with some more compact cabinet options but I guess it is in line with their design philosophy for the range: they have managed to make a solid state head pretty heavy and the cabinets seem to follow suit. They have obviously decided to buck the compact, lightweight trend.

1 hour ago, Merton said:

That would be ideal, @eude and I agree with you!

Yup, I've been saying this since the launch day!
I appreciate some folks want big cabs for big stages, but if I'm completely honest I don't know many who actually do.
Two high powered 1x12 cabs, that aren't crazy heavy is probably the safest bet for most folks I would expect.

Laney have made light cabs in the past, fingers crossed they add something to the Digbeth lineup...

Eude

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

What do you mean… 2 x 410 not modular enough?? 😂

Seriously though, I think you’re right and can’t work out why they’ve done it that way… especially when they’ve made lots of 8ohm and 16ohm cabs previously. 

I guess the 810 covers it, but two 410s is my preference  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, funkydoug said:

I totally agree, was just joking :)

seems like a no brainer to me to offer a few 8 ohm options

I don't know of I'm imagining it but I think I've seen cabs where you could switch the "Ohmage", to me that would be the ideal solution. Obviously I've either imagined it or its completely impractical, hence why the likes of Ashdown sometimes to do the same cab in 4 or 8 ohm versions, but if it was practical and affordable it would probably help most of us out I think? 

8 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I don't know of I'm imagining it but I think I've seen cabs where you could switch the "Ohmage", to me that would be the ideal solution. Obviously I've either imagined it or its completely impractical, hence why the likes of Ashdown sometimes to do the same cab in 4 or 8 ohm versions, but if it was practical and affordable it would probably help most of us out I think? 

Latest Barefaced 210s let you switch ohms. 

43 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Latest Barefaced 210s let you switch ohms. 

I expect folks will likely pair their Digbeth heads with BF cabs as you can get a similar look and they'll be half the weight of the Laney cabs, which is a shame.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Concerning the weight... 7kg is not too heavy. As long as you are not one of the bass players that is cursed to carry your amp in the metro... who cares about the weight of an amp??? (under 15kg)
Cabs is another thing. But in my very own opinion less weight only can go ahead with compromises in sound. The question is, how big the compromise is you are willing to except. There are few guys of real BIG bands who go light....  (I don't think of me, just to be clear here 😛 ) 

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 1

7kg is not necessarily too heavy... but it's double the weight of many of its competitors. That, plus the fact that it's a fairly bulky lunchbox shape, makes it comparatively a lot less portable. Now those factors won't matter to a lot of people, and that's fine! But Laney have made it unattractive to those of us who need to be able to, say, shove their amp in a backpack. It's a puzzling set of design choices, given that they managed to fit the entire pre-amp and DI into a 750g pedal.

• Like 1

I think the players that N E E D (!!)  a 2 kg 500/800/1000 watts bass amp,- because of transport - make 5-10 % of all players. Everything else is only "nice to have" or because it is "the thing" right now. 

Good to know that they always seem to find a 500/800/1000 watts cab somewhere that they don't have worry about.. And there are enough of this tiny matchboxes out there, because 95% of all lightweight amps are built small. 
The 750g pedal thing actually is the even more efficient solution for backpackers because if you don't need to worry about a cab... leave the power amp at home too. If the 30kg cab is provided, an amp of 2 kg should be an even smaller problem. 
But thank god that's up to us all the way we like it and this is just my opinion 🙂  I like it big and with some weight so the amp won't fall of the cab. Just some live experience 😄