Why become a member? ×

New Laney Digbeth range

Merton

I was a bit disappointed that the new 'traditional' 4x`10 is only rated at 400 watts at 4ohms. It just seems fairly underpowered to most modern cabinets and the 2x12 and vertical 4x10 in the Digbeth series.

Amps sound nice in the Andertons demo though. 

30 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

They certainly sound good and the mid preshapes and tilt make it very versatile. I'm very tempted. 

Me too, I really have no need for a new amps, and can't really afford one, and yet, I'm trying to figure out how I can get one.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Hmmmm I think I will stick with my Ashdown and Orange amps based on that demo !! 

What didn't you like with the Laney... Not criticism, just curious because with you liking Orange and Ashdown I'd have thought these were up your street. 

1 minute ago, thodrik said:

Superior speakers, 600 watts to 400 watts, probably more time spent on design, testing and materials etc. 

Fair enough in some ways... Just seems odd. I don't fully understand the Watts vs ohms thing but if you make a 200 and 500 watt head why are the cabs 400 and 600 Watts...? To give additional cover so you don't drive the speakers too hard...? 

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

What didn't you like with the Laney... Not criticism, just curious because with you liking Orange and Ashdown I'd have thought these were up your street. 

To be fair most demos on Andertons are some what wanting. 
They are most likely fine new amps but I’m happy with Ashdown and the new Orange LBT. 
Andertons generally showboat and don’t really show you true sound of the amp.

They always tend to do that,  someone plays and the other turns dials in a random fashion !! 

Edited by BassAdder27

11 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

They always tend to do that,  someone plays and the other turns dials in a random fashion !! 

Yeah that is quite annoying. I like their reviews but more for the playing than the products. At least its not all 300mph slap. Because of the randomness of it all though you can't really compare stuff. I think the German guys are the best for reviews, Bass the Word is it?

I've been looking a lot at amps recently and was watching their review of the Markbass Marcus Miller stuff. They were not impressed with that at all, underwhelmed probably the best word for it. 

Still no idea on the true specs of these. I've asked laney via facebook the following:

1. Is the 500 head a class a/b or class d head? (saying solid state doesnt help).

2. Is there a valve in the pre? Everything points to no, then reviews say there is.

3. Is the 4x10 really 32kg?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, la bam said:

Still no idea on the true specs of these. I've asked laney via facebook the following:

1. Is the 500 head a class a/b or class d head? (saying solid state doesnt help).

2. Is there a valve in the pre? Everything points to no, then reviews say there is.

3. Is the 4x10 really 32kg?

Good work - will be interested in the response :)

I got the answers back from Laney:

1. Is the 500 head a class A/B or class D output stage?

"The DB500H uses a Class D output stage".

2. Does the head have a valve tube inside for the preamp or is it emulated?

"The pre amp is an emulated tube sound".

3. What is the correct weight of the vertical 4x10? Is it 32kg?

"The DBV410 weighs 32.7 Kg".

• Thanks 6

42 minutes ago, la bam said:

I got the answers back from Laney:

1. Is the 500 head a class A/B or class D output stage?

"The DB500H uses a Class D output stage".

2. Does the head have a valve tube inside for the preamp or is it emulated?

"The pre amp is an emulated tube sound".

3. What is the correct weight of the vertical 4x10? Is it 32kg?

"The DBV410 weighs 32.7 Kg".

The only disappointing thing there really is the weight of the cabs.

Just don't understand why they didn't do a 1x12 cab, they have also confirmed there's no plans for one.

In an amp that size and at that price point, I would've been surprised if it was anything but class D.

As I think was pointed out before elsewhere, in most cases an emulated tube sound is better than just whacking a single tube into a preamp anyway.

Cheers,
Eude

• Like 1

The weight does seem a big confusing.

7kg for a 500w class d is heavy. But, I suppose it looks like a much bigger amp, and it's not a heavy lift. But it's at least double the weight of its rivals.

The vertical 4x10 at 32kg is confusing. I had a laney n410 with lavoce drivers which was superb and only around 23kg.

Maybe they're not targeting the lightweight crew - fair enough - but then I dont really get what they're targeting here, unless they sound that identical to a class a/b or valve head and heavy cab that it's a weight saving on a 15kg head and a 65kg cab?

• Like 1

Personally the weight of the head isn't an issue for me - I like the fact they're not just going as small and featherweight as possible but putting some nice design thought into the look. The cabs is where (for me) weight saving makes the most sense, especially as there are so many great sounding lightweight options these days (and as you say @la bam, Laney did it themselves with their last range!).

I'm still very tempted by the 500W head and the 2x12 cab for me new projects, but I may choose a different route altogether if I even change anything in my rig...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It looks kind of in the middle of the Ashdown RM and ABM ranges to me.

My thoughts too. No tube, but tube emulation says Rootmaster to me. The Laney looks great but the Ashdown are lightweight and have lightweight cabs with more options. Going from tube to FET on the Laney is like footswitching the Rootmaster drive. Without having both in the same room obviously its hard to compare but knowing the specs now I'm less keen on trying the Laney. 

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

My thoughts too. No tube, but tube emulation says Rootmaster to me. The Laney looks great but the Ashdown are lightweight and have lightweight cabs with more options. Going from tube to FET on the Laney is like footswitching the Rootmaster drive. Without having both in the same room obviously its hard to compare but knowing the specs now I'm less keen on trying the Laney. 

Yeah I’ll be sticking with my Ashdown gear but it’s great to see UK based companies now offering lightweight bass gear, Ashdown, Orange, Laney all getting in there with affordable gear that will hold pretty much any gig. 

• Like 1

So today, I went to one of my local bass shops, as they are stocking some of the Digbeth range.

They had the DBC410-4 cab paired with the DB500H amp head. 

So I really liked some of the tones I got out of the cab. I even heard some of that Rickenbacker growl. The low end handled the 4th and 5th string of my Rick well. This cab had made me rethink my preferences of 115 over 410..I am leaning more toward 410. If this cab was 8 ohm I probably would have bought it. I need 850 Watts at 4 Ohm to work with my amp head..So the cab only being 400 Watt at 4 Ohm is an issue.

Whilst I liked the amp head, it seems to be high gain. No matter how I set the amp I couldn't get ride of it, as a result it shows all the nuances of my playing. I did not try the FET mix function however. 

3 minutes ago, ambient said:

Why is it named after a rather dodgy area of Birmingham?

But Digbeth is an up and coming area now, surely. All those new bars and culture and the High Street even turns into a race track in the evenings...

• Haha 1