Why become a member? ×

Show us your practice rig!

rushbo

A post in the effects section started me thinking about what Basschatters use at home for practice.

I'll set the bar nice and low with my Ion Tailgater... This is, quite possibly, the finest 14 watt, rechargeable battery powered, pocket sized mini PA and iPod dock that you could buy from Maplins for £70. What it lacks in fidelity it makes up for in portability.  Joking aside, it sounds pretty decent and it's lasted about ten years of regular use with no issues. My wife is a peripatetic primary school music teacher and she uses the BlueTooth version of this as it's light enough to carry from school to school but loud enough to fill a classroom. And it's great for busking, too.

What's your home rig look like? Mesa stack? Vox Amplug? Let's have a look!

Ion

• Like 2

This mess is half of my home set up. PC comes in via usb, bass into the mixer (as you see) and phono output to old Yamaha hi-fi amp.

The speakers are a pair of Acoustic Electric (now defunct speaker manufacturer) Studio 10 monitors. Not pretty but perfect for home use. 

Practice rig.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Practice..? What is this 'Practice' of which you speak..? :scratch_one-s_head:

xD :P

Practice is that part of the day when you rehearse your mistakes, so when you make them in public, they're really appalling.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

About 80% of home practice is just unamplified instrument.

The other 20%:  Audio Interface > PC > DAW with amp sim and effects > headphones

Nothing through speakers.

The biggest problem with the above is that I don't therefore use the pedalboard, so sometimes a bit unrehearsed on which pedal to tread on and when etc. I only practice that at band rehearsals :|.

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

The biggest problem with the above is that I don't therefore use the pedalboard, so sometimes a bit unrehearsed on which pedal to tread on and when etc. I only practice that at band rehearsals :|.

I don't use many FX, but one song in my band's set has multiple changes and numerous button presses - I've spent more time perfecting my tap dancing on that tune than working on the rest of the repertoire! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, steantval said:

My little Marshall MB.

4C89145A-7749-46B7-98DA-FD24D3D231E7.jpeg

Just got one of those second hand for my son. Surprisingly good little amp. Surprisingly loud too.

I just use the POD HD500x I use for rehearsals / gigs, but just with headphones instead of an amp.

My practice rig is also now my only rig (other than a desk mixing set up which is currently dismantled). I used to have a Markbass CMD121P but as a non-gigging bass player for the time being at least this current set up just about works! 

C4546AE4-00EC-4D8C-9F33-A16C334C5E93.jpeg

• Thanks 1