Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Ghana.

Scottcold

I’m an expat living now in Accra, Ghana.  
I played a six string guitar many years ago in my youth. Always fascinated by the bass and that was as far as it went. Then came the wretched Covid and thought what can I do to entertain and amuse myself, I’ll learn to play bass. So first had to find an instrument, plenty for sale on the local equivalent of Gumtree but all were five stringers and all the Fenders and Gibsons (Givson) were fakes, even the Ibanezes. Anyway I eventually found a Fernandes from the seventies, a four string and started learning on that. Could never get it set up right and finally found out why, the neck was twisted. In the meantime got a Blackstar Fly 6 amp from Gear4Music. Saw a Epiphone EB0, bought that and a Rockjam P bass (cheapie off Amazon) both second hand and I’ve been very happy with both. Love fiddling so put a EMG active pickup on the P and sounds amazing now, might swap a DiMazzio into the EB0. Also found a seventies Kimberley, made in Japan copy of a Music Man, which I passed on to a struggling local bass player.

Just play for my own amusement really and it’s really been a life saver during the pandemic.

Edited by Scottcold
More info
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, SumOne said:

Welcome! I saw a great all female band play in Accra at +233 Jazz bar, and had a good evening at the Republic bar, sandbox beach club was good too. I've been recommending that people visit.

Yes there are a few good music venues. Another one to add to your list is Chez Afrique near The French School Shiashe in Accra. Friday nights.

Edited by Scottcold
More info
  • Thanks 1

On 26/06/2021 at 06:49, Richard R said:

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04:

For some reason the idea of a Fake Gibson named Givson amuses me no end. Plenty of fake Fenders about here too.

The surprising thing is they are now faking lower end Ibanez models.