Why become a member? ×

Songs that make you feel uncomfortable - Part II

Al Krow

One song that I use to keep the stength up on my left thumb behind the neck is When The World is Running Down by the Police. It's virtually the same riff from start to finish.

For co-ordination I use Killers by Iron Maiden - during the intro you're playing open notes in between each fretted note then the rest of the song keeps changing between staight bits and funny sections (you know what I mean 😀)

When I'm practicing octaves then it's either Everybody Dance by Chic or Right on Time by the Chilis

For right hand speed it's usually The Trooper by Maiden

For both hands, co-ordination, octaves, pretty much the whole shooting match it's this version of What is Hip from 05:08

These are the songs I play to keep things moving between gigs and have been playing them as often as possible over the last year and a bit to keep the strength and dexterity up until we can get back out gigging again

They're all uncomfortable to play in that each one tests different parts of the hands and the brain to keep things moving. The Police song can be a killer if you're not relaxed enough

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1

On 25/06/2021 at 09:22, Al Krow said:

But I wonder how many of us actually play the Foctave at the start of BJ rather than just a single note?

I agree it sounds so much better when played with the octave, also slight palm muting helps to get the tone right.