Why become a member? ×

Simple, powerful amplifier recommendations

FinnDave

In the affordable lightweight easy to use amps, there's the amazing Warwick LWA1000 with twin channels, simple EQ and switchable compressor. It's exactly the same power amp as the way more expensive TrickFish Bullhead 1K despite what some people pretend.

Only on the second hand market as it's not made anymore.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2021 at 12:29, FinnDave said:

Under £200! Less than an Elf. Not a company I've heard of, though.

TC Electronic are an excellent company producing really cool bass equipment. I have a TC Bam, BH250, BC208 cab (10.4kg) and an assortment of their pedals of which, are all excellent given their modest cost. 

Edited by andy67
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Orange Little Bass Thing? Looks as if it would tick most of my boxes, but would need to try one first.

If it's any thing like the Orange 4-Stroke, it'll be very loud and very good. 

• Like 1

Another vote for the Quilter. I bought it as a back up in the first instance. Very simple but effective eq, and one of the loudest amps I've owned for its advertised power. Very solid in the low end, when the contour eq is engaged goes from mid scoop to vintage. Sounds very musical, and weighs nothing!!!

• Like 2

Problem solved (hopefully!) - just bought an Orange Little Bass Thing from Oxford PMT. Nice punchy sound, and I especially like the parametric mid range control. Very straightforward panel, just volume, compression (yeah, I know…) bass mid and treble. 

Looking forward to giving it a good trying out at home tomorrow.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Problem solved (hopefully!) - just bought an Orange Little Bass Thing from Oxford PMT. Nice punchy sound, and I especially like the parametric mid range control. Very straightforward panel, just volume, compression (yeah, I know…) bass mid and treble. 

Looking forward to giving it a good trying out at home tomorrow.

Let us know how 'orange' it sounds 🙂

I like the Orang sound... a lot, and if this delivers, it might be a good alternative to an Elf for me.

19 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Let us know how 'orange' it sounds 🙂

I like the Orang sound... a lot, and if this delivers, it might be a good alternative to an Elf for me.

I bought as a 'big Elf', as I am very impressed with the simplicity of my Elf and this is similar. I don't really see it as an alternative to the Elf, but a substitute for those occasions that require a bit more power.