Why become a member? ×

Simple, powerful amplifier recommendations

FinnDave

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

What I'd really like is an amp as simple to use as my Elf but with the power of the Rootmaster - is there anything out there that will match that spec? . . . .

I usually buy amps that sound just right with all the controls between 12 and 1 o'clock. Then I only have to worry about the volume. I can't think of anything more simple to manage.

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I usually buy amps that sound just right with all the controls between 12 and 1 o'clock. Then I only have to worry about the volume. I can't think of anything more simple to manage.

Gallien Krueger for the win here… I have loads of knobs on my RB and they’re all flat / off because it sounds soooo good! 😂

• Like 2

Back on topic though: I’ve yet to go class D / small but when the current big iron box goes bang it’ll be class d for sure.

In my head this will be: killer preamp pedal (preferably that allows MIDI control) into a class D power amp that gets me 350w or so at 8 ohms.

The problem with this is that the mixing desk sits on top of the RB + flight case nicely at the moment and I won’t want a full size 3U case holding a tiny amp 🤔

Edited by moley6knipe

Thanks for the suggestions, hoping to try a Terror Bass in the next few days - looks simple enough for me to use and more importantly, fewer things that can get knocked. I've had gigs where my amp is behind the drums and I can't reach it to adjust things, so end making hand signals to a drummer which is never going to go well!

2 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I was just about to suggest an LH head - simple eq with oodles of oomph!

It’s very true, the LH series of amps are phenomenal in terms of tone, power, user friendliness, simplicity and price. 

1 hour ago, andy67 said:

It’s very true, the LH series of amps are phenomenal in terms of tone, power, user friendliness, simplicity and price. 

But not in terms of fans (there are too many) noise. 😱

@FinnDave has mentioned weight being a consideration so I think, despite my agreement that the LH series are a great option for simplicity and power, they aren't the right option for weight.

My choices would be along the lines of the class D offerings Original 500, TC BH800, Orange Terror Mk2, GR Bass Pureamp, Quilter as previously mentioned :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Merton said:

@FinnDave has mentioned weight being a consideration so I think, despite my agreement that the LH series are a great option for simplicity and power, they aren't the right option for weight.

My choices would be along the lines of the class D offerings Original 500, TC BH800, Orange Terror Mk2, GR Bass Pureamp, Quilter as previously mentioned :)

Don’t forget the Bugera BV1001t 🤪

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merton said:

Forgot that on. That would be near the top off my choices too!

Even though it has a big iron power section, it's not that heavy at all and is in a nice compact casing. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Merton said:

Very true. In my defence, I mentioned the LH500 before the OP raised the weight issue :)

eta...I've just looked up the weight - 10.5Kg. That's the same as the Handbox R400 which is described as lightweight...

Edited by barkin
eta
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, barkin said:

Very true. In my defence, I mentioned the LH500 before the OP raised the weight issue :)

eta...I've just looked up the weight - 10.5Kg. That's the same as the Handbox R400 which is described as lightweight...

Aha - didn’t know the LH was that light! Nice 😎

15 minutes ago, Merton said:

Aha - didn’t know the LH was that light! Nice 😎

I must admit (and this isn't aimed at anybody in particular) I do find some attitudes to weight a bit puzzling.  My previous cab setup must have weighed in at somewhere around 50 Kg, I'd guess.

When I swapped it for my current BF 1x15 Compact, it was truly a game-changer. A single cab solution, at ~11.5 Kg. Yet the thought of "lugging" an amp of the same weight is a no-no, despite an amp being a far easier carry than any cab. IMO.

Each to his own, eh ?  :)

Edited by barkin
spelling
  • Like 3

As others have mentioned:

Quilter BB800 - set it at noon. Job done. Any adjustment needed? A little turn. Done. Lift it with one finger. More power than any other small amp I've ever come across. I still have it as one of my favourite all rounds amps ever.

Heavier duty - Hartke LH1000 - Nice, simple and power for days. Just remember noon isnt flat. It's something like 2-10-2.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I can see that narrowing this down is going to take longer than I thought! If Trace made a bigger Elf, I'd be sorted!

Funnily enough that’s what a lot of the market has been asking for since it was first launched!

8 minutes ago, Merton said:

Funnily enough that’s what a lot of the market has been asking for since it was first launched!

Is there any sign that anyone at Trace has been taking notice? I bought mine last year as a back-up amp and to use from a battery powered inverter for impromptu outdoor rehearsals and small gigs, but I prefer the tone of the Elf to my main amp (Rootmaster 800).

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Is there any sign that anyone at Trace has been taking notice? I bought mine last year as a back-up amp and to use from a battery powered inverter for impromptu outdoor rehearsals and small gigs, but I prefer the tone of the Elf to my main amp (Rootmaster 800).

I have an Elf that I carry round in my gigbag as a back-up. It sounds pretty good, but doesn't really compete with my Handbox or Mesa amps. 

A higher powered Elf would certainly be interesting. 

18 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Not that I’ve seen!