Why become a member? ×

Simple, powerful amplifier recommendations

FinnDave

I have been very impressed by the Trace Elliot Elf I bought last year, it sounds great though my Barefaced Super Compact, to the point that I use it in preference to my Rootmaster 800. The problem with the Rootmaster is that it has too many extras built in, sub harmonics, compressor, pre-shape switch, too many tone controls, in other words, too many switches that can get knocked and ruin my sound.

What I'd really like is an amp as simple to use as my Elf but with the power of the Rootmaster - is there anything out there that will match that spec? A big Elf?

I used to play through the Orange Terror 1000w. Possibly the best sound I have ever had, why I sold it, I cannot explain. 

Through BF compacts or two MB NY115's the only issue I ever had was keeping the volume down low enough! Incredibly loud, very simple controls, you can't go wrong. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

I used to play through the Orange Terror 1000w. Possibly the best sound I have ever had, why I sold it, I cannot explain. 

Through BF compacts or two MB NY115's the only issue I ever had was keeping the volume down low enough! Incredibly loud, very simple controls, you can't go wrong. 

Simple is my middle name! I'll try to find one in stock within easy reach.

I might be without an Ashdown amp for the first time in years!

4 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

A Vanderkley Spartan would be great https://vanderkleyamp.com/spartan/

Or a step further to simplicity a Spartan-2 https://vanderkleyamp.com/spartan-2/

Bass Direct is selling them.

I was hoping for something a little less pricey, to be honest. They look like they would be great, but a bit out of my reach, unfortunately.

Just now, FinnDave said:

Simple is my middle name! I'll try to find one in stock within easy reach.

I might be without an Ashdown amp for the first time in years!

If you're one of those anti-shapers you've no right to be using Ashdown anyway. 

(joking) 

I usually dampen my positive reviews with 'in my opinion'. However I don't feel the need with this little beauty. I feel the reduction ftom 1000 to 500w will actually be beneficial, I could never drive mine hard enough.. 

Hey there's an Orange head in the for sale section. Not a terror but 500w, simple controls, rack mounted and 200 quid cheaper than a new terror. 

EDIT :There's a 500w Terror just down the road from you! 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Hey there's an Orange head in the for sale section. Not a terror but 500w, simple controls, rack mounted and 200 quid cheaper than a new terror. 

EDIT :There's a 500w Terror just down the road from you! 

Cheers, Stew, it is good & close and I've just written to ask when would be a good time to try it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chimike said:

Don't forget the Ashdown 550 spyder ! Simple, and brilliant preamp coupled to the ABM  output stage

I hada Touring combo which was basically the Spyder with a 1x15 cab - sounded great but a bit heavy (I have a dodgy right arm & left foot after a bike accident). I bought a Spyder head but it was faulty. Went back to ABMs after that.

1 hour ago, danbowskill said:

Hanbox r400. simple as it gets and bloomin amazing as it gets.

one for sale on here

If you can run to it, the Handbox is a superb amp and great value for the price of the one in the For Sale section. 

2 hours ago, barkin said:

Not everybody's cup of tea, but I've used a Hartke LH500 for  several years now and felt no urge to change.

I haven't tried one myself but how about a Hartke LX8500. Hartke amps are usually very powerful, decent workhorses and good value (https://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_lx8500.htm

Edited by peteb