Why become a member? ×

Best/most comfortable non-custom hearing protection?

Jakester

On 23/06/2021 at 23:28, Jakester said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for ‘off the shelf’ hearing protection?

I’ve been using Etymotic/Elacin/ACS ER20s for years, but I’m finding now that they’re a) not fitting as well as they used to, and b) get incredibly uncomfortable after about an hour’s wear time. 

I’ve tried Proplugs and they’re useless IME - no apparent attenuation at all. I used to use them but not sure what has changed. 

The soft triple flange type plugs go too deep into my ears - the ones with the little ‘pull tab’, and I recently had a pair get stuck when the pull tab broke, so those are out too!

I know the answer is get some ACS custom ones but I’d rather not spend the £££ if I didn’t have to, and I don’t qualify for the MU scheme (and I’m not going to misrepresent my income for it either). 

Is there anything I’ve missed out, any aural wonders that will save my embattled hearing off the shelf, or do I really have to get ready to be reamed out for custom ones?

OOOOPS! God, I should put my glasses on, I missed this bit . Apologies. You are a busy musician though, aren't you? I feel sure you'd be able to talk to someone. 👍👍

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Thanks Dood, yep, I have thought about it but for my day job I have to be really careful as even a hint of any kind of misrepresentation could end up with me in real trouble, so it's not worth the risk. 

I understand. Good luck in your search, If I come up with any ideas I'll ping you a message. I can't really help with the generic types as I have small ear canals and find that anything but moulded simply won't fit properly, are uncomfortable and even just drop out. That said, I liked the filters made by Etymotic Research used in the ER style ear protection years ago. I'm not sure if they are still as good as they used to be. My current moulded plugs are made by 64 Audio with interchangeable filters and I also have a set of the ones advertised above too. Interestingly they are both very different in  their resulting sound due to their attenuation methods.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, owen said:

If I were to do it again, I would have had a pair of ACS plugs 35 years ago. I did not. It was never going to happen to me. It did.

I would happily gig with a mid level Yamaha for all those years and not spent on all those basses (and probably should have). I should have bought a set with the money I did not spend and I could be gigging now. I cannot. Not in any meaningful way.

I have a fretless I cannot play beause I cannot pitch properly without hearing it properly. I cannot play without earplugs.

Complicated improvised ensemble work? Those were the days. These days? Nope.

£135 for a set of moulded plugs BEFORE there is an issue is something I get to regret not doing every day. I KNOW you did not ask about moulded plugs. I cannot think of any reason not to have them. I wish I did not know this.

Best post I’ve read on here for ages, something we can all learn from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Best post I’ve read on here for ages, something we can all learn from. 

I think people are misunderstanding the point of this thread. I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS, worn ear protection, right from being 16y/o in my first band. I wore them to nightclubs, when I worked behind the bar in clubs, on every gig if I was playing drums even if it was a light jazz gig. I know I have to protect my hearing, not least because my old man was a semi-pro drummer and now has serious hearing issues. 

I'm not asking for advice on whether or not to wear earplugs - I know I should and I do - every time. I'm just looking for advice as to which ones.