Why become a member? ×

Low Wattage, Sub £100 Practice Amps

Skybone

Proud Dad moment... my son has joined his first band as the bass player.

Thing is, I really ought to get him a decent wee amp for use at home so that he can hear what he's playing when he's practicing. Thing is, what's a decent wee amp these days?

Been looking into the options, and there seem to be a few. There's a few options around, but is it worth going for a "name" brand (i.e. Ashdown / Fender / etc.), or one of the many cheaper options? My head says brand name, my wallet says cheap.

Who knew looking for a cheap practice amp could be so stressful??? :D 

22 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’d go second hand and get a decent brand name :)

3 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

I'd start with something like Gumtree... see whats local...

Funnily enough, just seen a relatively local Marshall MB-15 for a very reasonable price on Gumtree.

He'd be chuffed with having a Marshall amp.

• Like 1

My Marshall MB 15 was about £30 of the bay last year... great little amp modern channel with compressor and classic channel with gain. Headphone out...

google Search 'Marshall MB30 pdf' for the 15/30 owners manual, the MB range brocure is also still about.

Yep second hand Marshall MB, Fender Rumble, Ampeg BA, Ashdown After or AAA ranges, all will be plenty good enough for home use and none should be too costly, I`ve had all of the above and for the 15 watt/8-inch speaker versions they`re usually around £50.

In your shoes I'd go with either a used Roland Bass Cube 30 or a Line6 Studio 110 if I could find one. Slightly more spendy, but the sounds available are outstanding. I used to gig the Line6 straight to the PA, kicked back against a wall or wedged up on a block of wood as a personal monitor. Great bit of kit.

Good Darts... That was quick... Manual Attached...

Marshall MB15 MB30 User Manual.pdf

If it didnt come with a cover, an Upside Down Medium Sports Direct Bag is a Bang-On size cover for a pound... Keep the dust and a bit of rain off and give a bit of protection in the car... I cut a slot in the bottom to get at the handle. Gak still have the covers but are £17 + £5 postage...

20210623_215252_resized.jpg

20210623_215320_resized.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

On 23/06/2021 at 15:38, Bigwan said:

In your shoes I'd go with either a used Roland Bass Cube 30 or a Line6 Studio 110 if I could find one. Slightly more spendy, but the sounds available are outstanding. I used to gig the Line6 straight to the PA, kicked back against a wall or wedged up on a block of wood as a personal monitor. Great bit of kit.

As it happens Im about to post a line6 ld110 for sale here. Hilarious little amps, though the Roland is slightly better really.

11 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

As it happens Im about to post a line6 ld110 for sale here. Hilarious little amps, though the Roland is slightly better really.

Been 7 or 8 years since I owned the Line6 and I currently own the Roland so hard for me to say! Greatly enjoy(ed) both! 

10 hours ago, Jack said:

Roland bass cube

Ashdown MAG

Can you do more like £120-£150? TC Electronic can be had second hand and that combo series are great. 

As much as I'd like to spend more, the budget was stretched at £100 tbh. 

£25 for the Marshall was brilliant, and more importantly, my son's happy with the amp and playing a bit more. Got to try and stop him from looking at basses on line now though! :D No hope!

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Been 7 or 8 years since I owned the Line6 and I currently own the Roland so hard for me to say! Greatly enjoy(ed) both! 

Torn between selling the 110 but I've also got the LD150 combo which is also good and still portable.