Why become a member? ×

Classifieds - limiting sale posts geographically?

Jakester

Question

Since the festering self-inflicted wound that is Brexit, for me at least the prospect of an overseas purchase from our former nearest and dearest, with its newly acquired VAT and import duties, and no doubt handling fees to boot, is now (and likely for the foreseeable) off the table.

However, my former co-citizens in the glorious Union Europa still try to tempt me with their delectable wares, whispering sweet nothings about Foderas, Sadowskys (Sadowskies?) and other, more exotic Continental fare, now and forever forbidden to me by grey, dead-eyed civil servants and *spits* career politicians.

In the depths of the realms of power that give life to the wonder that is Basschat, is there any way to shield mine (and, no doubt, thine) eyes from the wondrous bounty offered o’er the narrow seas, lest it lead to despondency and despair about our barren, desolate future in patriotic isolation?

• Like 2

10 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, gareth said:

In the past I’ve suggested splitting the basses for sale section in to two - one for basses where the seller is U.K. based the other for where the seller is non U.K. based 

Trouble is then you have a lot more topics. Basses for sale UK, Left handed basses for sale UK, Amps and cabs for sale UK, Amps and cabs for sale EU, Amps and cabs rest of the world.

It would be better to have a flag for restrictions, but that makes a whole heap of trouble with updates etc.

2 minutes ago, gareth said:

I wonder if anyone has bought a non U.K. based bass not realising the liability to pay duty, vat and fees as well following Brexit?

Almost certainly someone somewhere has bought pretty well everything not realising the liability to pay duty and got really annoyed about it. It is a huge change, for years we didn't have to, now we do, and people don't read.

2 minutes ago, gareth said:

A separate section for non U.K. based basses could include a note about the liability to pay duty, vat and fees in addition to the amount paid to the non U.K. seller 

You can plaster anything with warnings and notices and it still won't get read. My wife has a shop and she will put a notice on a front page, the item page, and the email conformation about something and if there is one thing you guarantee you will get someone contacting you saying they didn't know whatever it was.

• Haha 1

I guess some of you have seen my for sale ads : they are more than complete.

And I always get questions about things that are in the ad.

No matter what or how you do it, people are too lazy to read, especially a long text or ad or anything obvious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I guess some of you have seen my for sale ads : they are more than complete.

And I always get questions about things that are in the ad.

No matter what or how you do it, people are too lazy to read, especially a long text or ad or anything obvious.

Got as far as "I guess some" but was too lazy to read any more.

Are you in Blaenau Ffestiniog?

• Haha 2