Why become a member? ×

Can I run two different cabs off the same power amp?

Jamie Snell

Why is it that folks who clearly do not understand something feel they are qualified to accuse others of something that they do not even understand?

There are SOME manufacturers who use optimistic power metrics when rating their amps, they are almost always manufacturers offering product at the lower levels of performance and budget, resulting in their need to use metrics that have larger numbers for marketing purposes (which works very well when the customer doesn't understand).

There are also many manufacturers that do not feel the need to do so, they clearly state the power based on Watts (RMS) and at whatever THD the power is measured at. These manufacturers are generally marketing towards players who understand more about gear, and are looking for performance first, with cost as a secondary concern. 

Why is there a particular need to be rude here? 

Have a wicked pissah day y'all.

• Like 3

On 23/06/2021 at 19:03, Jamie Snell said:

... Given the amp outputs 700w @ 2 ohms then this would equate to 175w to the 8 ohm cab and 350w to the 4 ohm cab... 

Not strictly the best math I've seen today 😆

10 hours ago, agedhorse said:

What exactly are you having difficulties with?

The fact that 350+175=/=700.

Having said that, I hadn't realised we were talking about 2.67R here rather than 2R so fair enough, it is probably about right. My bad! 

• Like 1

And after all that piffle about watts not a word about what really matters, voltage swing and cone excursion. Without mention of these actually pertinent factors the OPs question could have been answered with one word: Yes.

Have a wicked pissah day y'all.

Trying to confuse the Brits on where you're originally from, New England or Dixie? :) I know I've never heard anyone use both of those terms, always one or the other. It's almost as bad as when they refer to all Americans as Yankees. I'm no Yankee. I'm from Boston, I'm a Red Sox fan!

I hadn't realised we were talking about 2.67R here rather than 2R so fair enough, it is probably about right. My bad!

Bad indeed, the discussion involves Z, not R.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Trying to confuse the Brits on where you're originally from, New England or Dixie? :) I know I've never heard anyone use both of those terms, always one or the other. It's almost as bad as when they refer to all Americans as Yankees. I'm no Yankee. I'm from Boston, I'm a Red Sox fan!

Exactly right, colloquialisms across the pond go both ways and I didn't want to leave out either the northeast or the south (easterly), but I probably should have thrown in a "cool man" or "dude" or two for the west coast ;) 

• Like 1

The Declaration of Independence was declared on July 2. At that point the Continental Congress adjourned to nearby City Tavern, where they proceeded to go on a bender. It wasn't until July 4th that they sobered up enough to approve the final draft, and that's why it says ' IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776' at the top. After that Congress went out tavern hopping again while 200 copies were printed up for distribution. All of the members didn't actually get around to signing the original until August 2. Then they went out drinking again, mostly rum, all of it smuggled into the country.

• Like 3

Get a different doctor. Beer isn't the culprit as much as the food that's usually consumed with it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/12/31/374187472/if-youre-toasting-for-health-beer-may-be-a-good-bet

https://www.brook.health/blood-sugar-and-beer/

All things in moderation. Besides, if you give up all the things that make life enjoyable you don't live any longer. It just seems that way.

• Like 1