Why become a member? ×

Detroit Rock City will be my undoing.

Sarah5string

12 minutes ago, cetera said:

Paul Stanley actually played bass on that on the studio recording, though Gene obviously plays it live....

I think I’d prefer to have the option of studio than in front of thousands of fans, although I can play it easy enough remembering which bit is where flummoxes me when playing it with the band. I play all the right parts but I’m sure they’re not necessarily in the right places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, peteb said:

I think that it's quite cute that people think that he actually played on the original records! 

Why? He DID play bass on a good 80+% of tracks. Sometimes he was happy for the person who'd written the song to play the bassline on the recording as they had come up with a cool line. I'd say that shows a good bit of unselfishness and doing what is best/most efficient for the track recording....

Edited by cetera
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ambient said:

I’ve never heard of it. Are you maybe overthinking it? Unless you’re in a tribute band will anyone really know that you haven’t got it 100% right?

If you've never heard the song before, it's a bit much to suggest the OP is overthinking it.

It's a classic bassline and if I was learning how to play it I'd want to get it right for me, not for anyone else.

Listen to the song. 

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Definitely, we do I Was Made for Lovin You and there’s a lot of fills/runs in there that might not be expected.

Gene was one of my first influences when I started playing. His bass lines were cool but largely simple enough to try my hand at.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

If you've never heard the song before, it's a bit much to suggest the OP is overthinking it.

It's a classic bassline and if I was learning how to play it I'd want to get it right for me, not for anyone else.

Listen to the song. 

So classic that in all my forty years I’ve never heard it before today, and hope never to have to again.😆

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Let's be honest in the 70's & 80's it was common place for session musicians to record the albums instead of the band.  The band could play it live but when the red light was on they couldn't nail it.

I believe it was known as ghosting. I read an interview a while ago with someone - Guy Pratt possibly - he was talking about the huge number of tracks that he’d played on, with everyone assuming it was the band member playing.

• Like 1

Identify which part or parts you’re struggling with. Then break it part down into smaller segments and practice them. Slow them down, and play them to a metronome or click. Then practice joining two together, etc, etc, until you’ve got the whole thing done. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ambient said:

So classic that in all my forty years I’ve never heard it before today, and hope never to have to again.😆

To be fair, that's more about you and your tastes than the song. I'm not much of a Kiss fan, but they were a very big band and this was one of their best known early tracks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ambient said:

I believe it was known as ghosting. I read an interview a while ago with someone - Guy Pratt possibly - he was talking about the huge number of tracks that he’d played on, with everyone assuming it was the band member playing.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/songs-with-ghost-musicians.270544/

Interesting read here. Of course some of it will be true, some will be hearsay, and in many cases the producers themselves may have forgotten who actually played on a track. I've heard the rumour about Steve Bailey playing Duff's parts on Appetite for Destruction before, but I'm not sure I believe it myself - perhaps he did play some stuff that wasn't ever used, or perhaps pre Pro Tools/Logic he was overdubbing mistakes. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Belka said:

I've heard the rumour about Steve Bailey playing Duff's parts on Appetite for Destruction before, but I'm not sure I believe it myself - perhaps he did play some stuff that wasn't ever used, or perhaps pre Pro Tools/Logic he was overdubbing mistakes. 

Wow, I wouldnt have guessed that in a million years. Never really thought of Steve Bailey as another other than a fretless guy. 

The playing on appetite is tremendous whoever it was. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Wow, I wouldnt have guessed that in a million years. Never really thought of Steve Bailey as another other than a fretless guy. 

The playing on appetite is tremendous whoever it was. 

I hadn’t either. I guess it’s the sign of a good session player that you can not sound like yourself?

• Like 1

Pretty good! You're 90% there!

I see in the solo you're taking the harmony guitar line. Nice. Is that because you only have one guitarist?

One thing, in the verse it should be the C# to B both times rather than the higher E down to C# on the 2nd line.... but that just may be your personal interpretation/originality ;)

Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

It's not perfect, but it's getting there. Slowly.

I'd say that's more than passable for doing it live. You've pretty much nailed it Sarah 🤘

• Thanks 1

Just now, cetera said:

Pretty good! You're 90% there!

I see in the solo you're taking the harmony guitar line. Nice. Is that because you only have one guitarist?

One thing, in the verse it should be the C# to B both times rather than the higher E down to C# on the 2nd line.... but that just may be your personal interpretation/originality ;)

Keep it up!

Exactly, we only have 1 guitarist so I had the idea to basically be the 'other' guitar while the bass is quiet. I've got a better line for that but only worked it out after doing this video.

Thanksf or that about the verse, I'll take another look :)

• Like 1