Why become a member? ×

Need effects but just can't bring myself to get any

sirmuppet

So I just auditioned and got into a new covers band. They've been playing for years and I'm quickly having to learn their set. Having gone through it I think I'm gonna need to invest in some effects of some sort. My last band I was able to get away with using my bass heads clean and drive channels. I've since gone to a lighter single channel head. The songs have varied bass tones like you'd expect.

I've been looking for a little while and I can decide what to go for. Do I go for a multi effects (Something I've never gelled with but it's been years since I used any), single pedals along with something like a Sansamp deluxe or the Bass Fly Rig V2?

Am needing a clean, semi driven and full driven tones along with probably a chorus though I could maybe get away without that. 

I like things as simple as possible but don't want anything sub-par if that makes sense? Would love a light 3 channel bass head but I don't think one exists, lol. 

Any advice?

If you need more effects than drive, I'd get a Line6 Pod go. Easier to use than the Helix, but with its effects. Great sounding unit. I've seen some people using the TC Electronic multi with great results.

If you just need two drives/fuzz, I'd get a Source Audio Aftershock. You can use it as a two channel overdrive pedal, but it has memory for more. The Ashdown NM2 is also a two-channel overdrive/distortion. For overdrive and fuzz, the Way Huge Pork and Pickle also sounds awesome.

The thing with multi effects is you tend to not use all of them but if you know what you want from them it makes sorting through them a lot easier, I've been using an X3 live and pretty much used 4 patches plus effects if needed. I've just gone to the fly rig ver2 and so far it does all I need it to do in a very compact package.

5 minutes ago, walbassuk said:

The thing with multi effects is you tend to not use all of them but if you know what you want from them it makes sorting through them a lot easier, I've been using an X3 live and pretty much used 4 patches plus effects if needed. I've just gone to the fly rig ver2 and so far it does all I need it to do in a very compact package.

Cool. 

With the fly rig 2 I know there's an octave/fuzz effect. Can you just have the fuzz alone on that?

Thanks.

I've played bass for about 35 years and only used effects in a live situation......once. It might be a downstream consequence of the genres of music I play, though.

I've dabbled on and off with effects over the years. I currently have a Boss GT-1B and a few pedals - compressor, mega distortion, bass eq, bass chorus (all Boss pedals) (and a cheap tuner pedal which I no longer use; and a wireless receiver in pedal format).

Honestly, I find the Boss GT-1B a bit meh, both in the sounds it can produce and the effort/inconvenience/opportunity to mess up in setting it up. I am sure there's a few good sounds in there, but its so clumsy to find them its virtually impossible to do so in a rehearsal situation. I could sit down for an hour and try stuff out in isolation but that's not quite the same.

The pedals, however, tend to make life with effects much simpler and "just do it", producing usable sounds with a bunch of settings (or easy to quickly dial in the settings).

I know there's a simpler Boss multi effects - ME-80 - however I don't know if they do a bass version and I don't know if those effects would be good for bass.

TLDR - just buy a decent chorus pedal. AND use the tone controls on the bass and your RH technique!

I haven't used one but I'd be tempted with the fly-rig. 

Everything in one place, no need for extra cables/power supplies. Chorus, boost/distortion, fuzz, octave, EQ, Tuner, compressor, XLR out, headphone out. 

It looks like you can just have the fuzz on:

"The controls interact so that you can get dynamically-filtered clean, fuzz, and octave, as well as octave and fuzz together. When Q is at minimum, Range becomes a high-cut tone filter for different versions of clean, fuzz, octave, and octave and fuzz together. You can then blend any of these combinations with your direct signal via the Mix control"

If it's a variety of sounds, like clean / driven / downright dirty, then something like a Sansamp BDDI Deluxe or VT Deluxe would be ideal. If you need other effects from there, you can add them when you want.

On the other hand, if you need core sounds and effects right off, then a multi FX may well be a better option. The Zoom B3n is a relatively inexpensive and easy to programme / play with option if you only use a few effects. However, if you want to add more effects / use amp & cab sims etc. then something like the Line6 POD Go or HX Stomp might be worth a look.

On saying that, I've been using a Line6 POD HD500x for the last few years, which you can pick up second hand for about £200-250. You do have to register & buy the add on the HD Bass pack (about £20), but it does sound great IMO. Has all the effects & connectivity that you might need, and still costs less than the Helix variants.

2 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

I've played bass for about 35 years and only used effects in a live situation......once. It might be a downstream consequence of the genres of music I play, though.

I've dabbled on and off with effects over the years. I currently have a Boss GT-1B and a few pedals - compressor, mega distortion, bass eq, bass chorus (all Boss pedals) (and a cheap tuner pedal which I no longer use; and a wireless receiver in pedal format).

Honestly, I find the Boss GT-1B a bit meh, both in the sounds it can produce and the effort/inconvenience/opportunity to mess up in setting it up. I am sure there's a few good sounds in there, but its so clumsy to find them its virtually impossible to do so in a rehearsal situation. I could sit down for an hour and try stuff out in isolation but that's not quite the same.

The pedals, however, tend to make life with effects much simpler and "just do it", producing usable sounds with a bunch of settings (or easy to quickly dial in the settings).

I know there's a simpler Boss multi effects - ME-80 - however I don't know if they do a bass version and I don't know if those effects would be good for bass.

TLDR - just buy a decent chorus pedal. AND use the tone controls on the bass and your RH technique!

That's pretty much my thoughts on multi effects. I'm not sold on the sound or ease of use. 

2 hours ago, Doddy said:

If all you need is chorus and drive, I'd just buy a chorus and an overdrive. Something like a Earthquaker Plumes and a TC June 60 would sound really good and not break the bank.

It's sort of a clean, semi driven and full driven. Even then a chorus is probably only going to be used on 2 songs and I reckon I could get away without it. I'm sort of trying to talk myself out of it as I've never been an effects guy.

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I haven't used one but I'd be tempted with the fly-rig. 

Everything in one place, no need for extra cables/power supplies. Chorus, boost/distortion, fuzz, octave, EQ, Tuner, compressor, XLR out, headphone out. 

It looks like you can just have the fuzz on:

"The controls interact so that you can get dynamically-filtered clean, fuzz, and octave, as well as octave and fuzz together. When Q is at minimum, Range becomes a high-cut tone filter for different versions of clean, fuzz, octave, and octave and fuzz together. You can then blend any of these combinations with your direct signal via the Mix control"

It's sort of a box that does everything in pedal form which is why I'm drawn to it. I did have a Sansamp deluxe and used that instead of the preamp to my head. So I never really classed it as a pedal. Even then I still hated having to take an extra item along with me, even if it did save me when my amp wouldn't work, lol.

21 minutes ago, Skybone said:

If it's a variety of sounds, like clean / driven / downright dirty, then something like a Sansamp BDDI Deluxe or VT Deluxe would be ideal. If you need other effects from there, you can add them when you want.

On the other hand, if you need core sounds and effects right off, then a multi FX may well be a better option. The Zoom B3n is a relatively inexpensive and easy to programme / play with option if you only use a few effects. However, if you want to add more effects / use amp & cab sims etc. then something like the Line6 POD Go or HX Stomp might be worth a look.

On saying that, I've been using a Line6 POD HD500x for the last few years, which you can pick up second hand for about £200-250. You do have to register & buy the add on the HD Bass pack (about £20), but it does sound great IMO. Has all the effects & connectivity that you might need, and still costs less than the Helix variants.

Yeah, it was a deluxe I originally thought about but just being in a covers band I'm on the fence about getting the effects to have the sound. Again, do I really need to? I had the POD HD500 before and it wasn't for me. I have been watrching your VT deluxe and trying to decide if I want to go for it. I had a VT before but I can't remember why I got rid of it. Maybe just as I had the BDDI deluxe with the extra channels.

The B3N looks like a good (actually, better than good) place to start; 3 footpedals that can be assigned to any custom effect you like (3 overdrives for example), and if memory serves, then they can be scrolled to the side, to use the pedals for two more effects (chorus, octaver, or any combination thereof) - they can all be switched on individually too, or save patches for each song, and name them whatever you need to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skybone said:

This. The deluxe versions can switch in a loop of extra fx with or without extra volume.

I don't get along with multi fx menus either.

• Like 1

I would recommend the Tech21 Bass Fly, but they are not cheap. Therefore, why not try the Valeton Bass Dapper, a fly clone at a fraction of the price?

Speaking of Valeton, there’s on of their multi fx in the for sale section at the moment. I know nothing about them, however.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sirmuppet said:

The B3N looks decent. That perhaps along with a Sansamp could hit the spot actually. 

(Warning: I am a bit of a Zoom fanboy).

I think a Zoom B3/B3n would be a great place to start. For less than the price of a couple of pedals (if you buy one used...) you can get a whole world of interesting noises. And if you get a B3, you also get an XLR out, too. 

They're pretty straightforward to use and you could easily audition the effects on the Zoom, before you take the plunge and buy individual stomp boxes. Or just stick with the Zoom. I'm not a massive user of pedals, so the B3 was a no-brainer for me and I've had one on my board for years. It's ace. 

• Like 2

On 23/06/2021 at 09:23, ezbass said:

I would recommend the Tech21 Bass Fly, but they are not cheap. Therefore, why not try the Valeton Bass Dapper, a fly clone at a fraction of the price?

Speaking of Valeton, there’s on of their multi fx in the for sale section at the moment. I know nothing about them, however.

Never heard of this but I'll take a look. Thanks. 

19 hours ago, rushbo said:

(Warning: I am a bit of a Zoom fanboy).

I think a Zoom B3/B3n would be a great place to start. For less than the price of a couple of pedals (if you buy one used...) you can get a whole world of interesting noises. And if you get a B3, you also get an XLR out, too. 

They're pretty straightforward to use and you could easily audition the effects on the Zoom, before you take the plunge and buy individual stomp boxes. Or just stick with the Zoom. I'm not a massive user of pedals, so the B3 was a no-brainer for me and I've had one on my board for years. It's ace. 

Seems decent. I Do have some sort of zoom thing I used for practicing with my headphones on. B1N maybe? 

^ B1on?

All Sorted then... I have the B1on.

Update the Firmware via the Zoom site... v1.3?... USB to the Squarer older Mini USB (not the newer flater Micro) lead needed...

Download the excelent and free Tone Lib-Zoom software... (they even do an android app for phone and tablet - Micro to Mini lead needed) as The Zoom Guitar Lab software doent work with the old B1on...

Clear a bank or two (or all) of patches...

Build patches with the various effects, up to 5, with various settings - could have a whole bank of drive getting progressively harder and more distorted...

You could go one patch per song, name them and order them according to set list, with a couple of generics DriveChorus, DistDelay, HeavyFuzz etc.

The above may be obviouse, I'm just trying to help... as i have been through a lot of the above after selling a B1Four and getting the older B1on model as i wanted the Marshall Super Bass Amp sim.. ended up costing me more as i had to by the old style leads... I'm sure there in a draw or box somewhere, i dont throw anything out!... 

• Like 1

On 22/06/2021 at 10:52, sirmuppet said:

So I just auditioned and got into a new covers band. . . . .

What covers are they playing?

I've been in covers bands for decades and have never needed pedals or effects! Presumably you didn't use pedals in your audition. Has the band asked you to use pedals? What makes you so sure you need them now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

What covers are they playing?

I've been in covers bands for decades and have never needed pedals or effects! Presumably you didn't use pedals in your audition. Has the band asked you to use pedals? What makes you so sure you need them now?

They haven't asked. The setup is one guitar, vocals, bass and drums. So it's more to fill out the sound. A couple of track sound better with an overdriven bass. There's stuff like Sweet Child o Mine which I don;t need a chorus for but it would maybe sound better (To me ) with one. There's some funkier and disco ones too so was thining a comp to level things out a bit. 

Again I'm not syaing I'm needing them, just wondered if others did in covers bands and if it's worth forking out for any. I certainly think a Sansamp would be handy do to the fact it saved me from having to cancel a gig when my amp didn't produce any sound at a gig once, so managed ot DI into the PA.