Why become a member? ×

Not really a NBD - it's complicated

Happy Jack

On 22/06/2021 at 10:44, Happy Jack said:

Given the way this story unfolds, why not start with a happy ending? Here's the end-point of the story:

The bass sounds great Jack and that's  some very impressive walking bass work there too! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Well if we have no pictures it didn't happen, right? Here are the pictures.

Original bridge:

1775324752_Grosmannoriginalbridge(0).thumb.JPG.238ba2c4088e9ea8c67770caae4c4097.JPG

1696907896_Grosmannoriginalbridge(1).thumb.jpg.fc3a5af6c634a53f7894d53d828a8f48.jpg

962362026_Grosmannoriginalbridge(2).thumb.jpg.68bdeaadde45e7ee542c08f061954c3d.jpg

13 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Original wiring:

18503173_Grosmannoriginalwiring(1).thumb.jpg.8316c2a2250cd36cbc0d867e4ccefa14.jpg

437858349_Grosmannoriginalwiring(2).thumb.jpg.ba7f4bad1e7ba622c9912bd5938e725b.jpg

1151213034_Grosmannoriginalwiring(3).thumb.jpg.ef2780dd8fa37305baff01ebff83f3b8.jpg

Wow that bridge and the wiring are shocking, the groove for the A string looks like its been gnawed by rats and taping the preamp to the cavity Wow

On 22/06/2021 at 10:45, Happy Jack said:

Andy's heart is no longer in this. The Grosmann has been hanging around his workbench like a bad smell for far too long, he wants shot of it and is giving it only the most cursory attention. He fits the new preamp, the bass works intermittently for an hour or so and then it doesn't. Game over.

Was he doing the work for free? Because if he was charging for the work, that's not a great attitude to have.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2021 at 16:11, KiOgon said:

What have I always said about preamps?

Stay at least a field away from them!

Good luck Jack and well done Gary!

Unless it’s in a decent bass with a proven track record (I haven’t owned a passive bass since 1980 and have never once had a problem with a preamp!! 😂)

Well done @Happy Jack - for patience and perseverance - even though that body colour and figured top are really alluring I think I’d have given up or chucked it away in frustration way before 😧

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

Was he doing the work for free? Because if he was charging for the work, that's not a great attitude to have.

Yeah, really hope he waived any fee when he just gave the broken bass back?!

Glad it's getting somewhere now, but fill in the massive blank for me;  what on earth caused three preamps to break??  I have been using preamps in basses for 15 years and have never had one fail.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kev said:

Yeah, really hope he waived any fee when he just gave the broken bass back?!

Glad it's getting somewhere now, but fill in the massive blank for me;  what on earth caused three preamps to break??  I have been using preamps in basses for 15 years and have never had one fail.

Can't really answer that Kev, but at times during this project I was thinking that the bass was possessed.😕

One morning I came down to start working on it and overnight it had rejected the string tree that, had been living happily on it since its construction. 

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...