Why become a member? ×

Were you in similar situation, how would you be feeling?

Munurmunuh

This is not a request to be hectored about how I should be feeling, or what I ought to be doing - I'd be posting this on TB if I wanted that - I just want to get a sense of what the average reaction would be, so I can measure myself up against it.

---

21 Sep: placed order for a G&L bass with a non-standard combination of specs, via an US dealer with an excellent reputation

14 Dec: bass arrives at dealer, is found not to be built to correct spec (not unusual for G&L in 2020) and is returned to factory 

17 Mar: now-perfect bass reappears at dealers, and is shipped to UK 

19 Mar: tracking shows bass arriving at airport in NY and is never heard of again

19 May: after sundry excuses from USPS (lack of capacity, delays at UK customs, etc) an official investigation is raised. These can take up to 32 business days.

Allowing for public holidays, that period ends on 7 July, a fortnight from now

---

So, ignoring what-ifs relating to the past, how would you be feeling, were you standing in an equivalent spot and wondering, what next? 

I might be inexperienced with bass-buying, but disappointment and frustration are old friends, so don't feel you need to tread lightly :D

I think it's totally normal for you to be feeling frustrated & disappointed. I would be feeling the same. 

Unfortunately buying anything from abroad in 20/21 is a risky endeavour. 

I hope your bass is found. 

Edited by Crawford13
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear about your experiences - I really hope USPS find your bass safe and well.

Honesty, in your shoes I'd be fuming angry about the situation built up from a culmination of frustration, disappointment and worry.   

It's obviously a combination of issues but ultimate responsibility is with the dealer your ordered from .. it's their responsibility to make sure it is built to your specification and delivered to you safely. 

Good luck, keep us updated.

• Like 2

The dealer, who I chose very carefully, has behaved impeccably so far, I have no fears on that front. It was thanks to his care that I didn't receive an incorrectly specced bass 5 months ago, and the ongoing USPS investigation was raised by him. The number of emails the poor sod has had to write me since September....

You need to make sure that the length of the USPS investigation doesn't expend any of your consumer rights here, e.g. credit cart protection.

Anything with an international component is an utter mess at the moment. It's not just basses - astronomy gear is up the wall as well. The vast majority of optical equipment is made in just a few factories in China now, apart from some very high end stuff. Shipping is severely disrupted with delays of 6 months or more being common.  

I would be resigned to the fact that it's all out of my hands and the dealer's hands until the wheels grind on at USPS.

I hope it is fully insured so the dealer isn't out of pocket when ordering up the replacement. If you ordered from the dealer he's on the hook to provide or refund you I reckon.

I'd be climbing the walls with frustration.

I hate waiting as it is, but when it's so far out of my control I couldnt wait any longer.

Just on a cautious side, regarding getting money back etc, I'd do some research first, as it sounds like a custom or customised build. So the seller can argue they cant resell, and it was made especially for you, and you could end up in a real mess.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

This is not a request to be hectored about .... what I ought to be doing

4 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

You need to ....

Ah, forums..... 🥰 

Weirdly, I'm not feeling angry or anything like that. I'm aware that the world is in a pickle at the moment, and that the disappointment of a bass going astray doesn't get far down the list of Bad Things Available During A Pandemic.

I think my main feeling is that I am absolutely sick of thinking about it, sick of wishing for it. I'm full of daydreams for what I might get instead. Daydreams that don't involve international shipping.

The ironic bit to this is that after a lifetime of having to take my music extremely seriously, bass playing was supposed to be just a light-hearted diversion to entertain me at home whilst public music making was impossible. 

8 minutes ago, la bam said:

it sounds like a custom or customised build. So the seller can argue they cant resell, and it was made especially for you, and you could end up in a real mess.

If TB was told this bass was available for sale, it would be gone by the end of the day: a P-bass with a quartersawn J-neck weighing 7.0 lbs. 

Be patient. The retailer will do the right thing. Your contract is with them, they need to sort it out and will. Just keep in contact with them and ask what they're doing to sort it out.

I didn't have the exact same experience, but did have a shipping nightmare before. Back in the early 00's, I ordered an Ibanez SR3006e from Music123 and paid by Western Union - I didn't have a credit card at the time.

All good, until later in the day when I checked the order to make sure the payment had been received, the shipping address had changed to an address in Alabama. I freaked out, called them up, they checked it and admitted a "clerical error" on their part but assured me the bass would be shipped to me.

All good until the next day, I received shipping notification and the bass was on its way... to Alabama. Same story, called them up, they assured me they would get UPS to bring the bass back, then send it to me.

All good, then, it was delivered... to the address in Alabama. I called them up, they assured me UPS would collect the package, bring it back and send it on to me.

No updates for a few days. I called them up, they said that the person they delivered the bass to "didn't want to return it"

At that point, I asked to speak to someone much higher up the chain and had one of those calls where you know there are people listening to the call but are not announced on the call and not participating. I had to go to an international phone shop (remember them?) to make all these calls. I calmly went through the sequence of events, as asked, and explained that, at every point of the transaction, I had notified them of their error and they had done nothing. Now, my bass was gone. I wanted a replacement. If they got the original bass back, that was nothing to do with me. I wanted a new bass. After a long and awkward silence, they agreed they had messed up and I would receive a new bass, which I eventually did but it was an unpleasant few weeks thinking I had lost over a grand. Music123 did the right thing, eventually, but I had to sit on them to do it and swore I would never buy from them again.

I fully expect your problem to be resolved, but it won't be a nice time waiting for that to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Ah, forums

There's a far eastern possibly Buddhist lesson that goes something like

A scorpion is on a journey and comes to a river. There's a cow on the river bank so the scorpion sidles up and begs a ride across. The cow is a bit reluctant but agrees and transports the scorpion across. The scorpion stings the cow a lethal sting as he hops off. The cow plaintively enquires 'what the duck?'. Scorpion shrugs 'I am a scorpion, that's what we do'.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

In all seriousness I hope you get sorted and get the bass rather than get a refund.  

The funny thing is that I've got myself so used to thinking this order is doomed to failure that if it suddenly reappeared, the part of me that's been bracing me for bad news would almost feel hacked off, messed around.

And then the bass would arrive, and I would open the case, and all that would melt away.... 😅

Edited by Ricky Rioli
Typo

I would be feeling like it had been lost and I was waiting for an eventual refund. 
that way if/when it shows up it’s a happy thing and you will enjoy the instrument, there’s been a few things in the past where the stress getting it means the owner doesn’t enjoy it when it arrives. If it were me I would be trying to avoid that. 

• Thanks 1

I'd be really disappointed, frustrated and angry. This was my bass, customised for me, not an off-the-shelf purchase that the retailer can send me a second one of. I'd be frustrated that it is the job of USPS to deliver stuff safely and they've lost it. Just lost it, with what seems like no apology or real effort or care for an item that is mine and that they have no idea how much value I place in the item. 

I'd eventually get the money back and wonder if I wanted to go through the whole process again.  Then the bass would turn up. 

• Haha 1

I would be discussing it on their public Twitter, Instagram and FB accounts. Like I did when another company lost my bass from Germany. I would also be emailing the CEO of the company. Perhaps you already have.

I have been there and it is MIND BENDINGLY frustrating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I think my main feeling is that I am absolutely sick of thinking about it, sick of wishing for it.

I think the cure for this phase ⬆️ would be found in moving onto this phase ⬇️

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I would be feeling like it had been lost and I was waiting for an eventual refund

so I'll give it a go.

And so here's the bass I'm now trying to give up on.....Screenshot_20201216-224855_Gallery.jpg.d27014da064ea2c9c9ca651f8c35e894.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I think the cure for this phase ⬆️ would be found in moving onto this phase ⬇️

so I'll give it a go.

And so here's the bass I'm now trying to give up on.....Screenshot_20201216-224855_Gallery.jpg.d27014da064ea2c9c9ca651f8c35e894.jpg

It’s gone man. Sorry about that. The shop have been really good to you which is great so you’ll get your money back, might take a while cos of the couriers and the shop probably what their insurance back before giving you your cash back- which is understandable. 
It’s a sucky situation. Would have been nice, but it’s gone. Hold on till you get your cash back and find something else... lightweight P bass, wonder if Jon shuker will do one of his lightweight Burnell basses in shell pink? 

• Thanks 1