Why become a member? ×

Unusual Acoustic Bass from Italy

54 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Not sure what you mean with the thumb position, @Happy Jack ... Everything looks to be a righty from the start including the strings anchoring and cutaway.

I do really like it.

The way the edge of the neck continues beyond the fretted zone looks to provide an excellent thumb-rest ... but it's on the wrong side.

If it's intentionally continued below the strings like that, then I am baffled as to what purpose it serves.

10 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

The way the edge of the neck continues beyond the fretted zone looks to provide an excellent thumb-rest ... but it's on the wrong side.

If it's intentionally continued below the strings like that, then I am baffled as to what purpose it serves.

I don't think it was made on purpose

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Rolf Spuler 1990 design (also on fretted basses) :

240975333_IbanezAFRA104F(3).thumb.jpg.ca9b2ec112a24cc82f51ca3cd911edf4.jpg

i-img1200x896-1611288005qsgyke944.jpg

What tge main use Tony? Genuine question as I have no idea

I have seen it the other way around and it serve a great purpose when the bass has only one p in tge tge j position as it can be used to rest your thumb

Hope you well anyway

On 23/06/2021 at 08:54, Hellzero said:

Hi Tony, it's an upper register extension here, the way Rolf Spuler imagined it.

I get the upper register extension thing, Tony, and the Spuler you've posted has vestigial frets to make that extension usable.

The bass in the OP has no such frets and would be pretty much unusable in that way ... certainly it would sound bloody odd if you tried!

I'm still quite sure that the OP bass has a neck intended for use on a lefty (with integral thumb rest), but which has for some reason been fitted to a righty.

Yes, looking at the neck it seems indeed obvious that it was intended as a lefty one with a thumb rest, but maybe the original owner found the final look attractive this way or he is playing the original way with his fingers anchored under the strings...

Sometimes aesthetic also prevails to the rest.