Why become a member? ×

How to Play Shakes / Stings found in Funk Basslines

PatrickJ

Hi Guys ,

Looking for some pointers on how to play a specific technique that I can't seem to get sounding right.

Not sure on the proper name, I've seen shake and sting but it's the practice of wiggling your fretting finger between two frets to get that neat trill type effect 

There's a great example in Incognito's Closer to the Feeling just after the 20 second mark.

I just can't get it sounding that good - any tips / tricks?

Edited by PatrickJ

4 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

MarloweDK on YouTube has some lessons on trills.

I can’t get them sounding good either, so I’m interested to see what advice is posted.

Is it this one, I had it saved in my list for practice 

• Thanks 1

For me it's all about making sure that my fretting hand thumb isn't in contact with the back of the neck, as this limits the range of movement you get - I feel like it's a whole arm thing rather than a case of wiggling the fingers.

I learned a lot from slowing down Paul Jackson's part on 'Hang Up Your Hangups'. When you hear a shake at full speed it sounds like there's lots of pitch variation, almost like a trill, but slowing down PJ made me realise that most of the time there are very few slides between the two pitches. I'll see if I can find some audio to back this up...

On 22/06/2021 at 21:43, TKenrick said:

For me it's all about making sure that my fretting hand thumb isn't in contact with the back of the neck, as this limits the range of movement you get - I feel like it's a whole arm thing rather than a case of wiggling the fingers.

I learned a lot from slowing down Paul Jackson's part on 'Hang Up Your Hangups'. When you hear a shake at full speed it sounds like there's lots of pitch variation, almost like a trill, but slowing down PJ made me realise that most of the time there are very few slides between the two pitches. I'll see if I can find some audio to back this up...

I'd never heard that song before but it's got to be one of the funkiest tunes I've heard in a looooong time

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PatrickJ said:

I'd never heard that song before but it's got to be one of the funkiest tunes I've heard in a looooong time

I forgot there's a studio version - I actually meant this live one from 'Flood'. For me this is the most joyous expression of funk bass that I've ever heard:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TKenrick said:

I forgot there's a studio version - I actually meant this live one from 'Flood'. For me this is the most joyous expression of funk bass that I've ever heard:

Thanks @TKenrick.  I enjoyed that immensely.  So have you transcribed the full 20 mins :)?

• Haha 1