Why become a member? ×

Embassy

stewblack

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

As of 12:35 today I am now an Epiphone Embassy owner 🙂

Sadly shifts spent clambering up and down scaffolding leave me a bit knackered these days so all you folks will get is a photo.

IMG_20220120_192002991_HDR.thumb.jpg.d2cb020155845920d19211943a6ee21d.jpg

Well a photo and a promise , those bloody roundwound strings are coming off ASAP 😄

Good luck with the scratchplate film! And don't forget the backs of the tuners!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Good luck with the scratchplate film! And don't forget the backs of the tuners!

I still need to pull my knob off and loosen my nuts. 

k6mMFWk.jpeg

I managed to pull the film from under the knobs with some tweezers, but I really need to remove the knobs and nuts and do it properly. 

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Maude said:

I still need to pull my knob off and loosen my nuts. 

I managed to pull the film from under the knobs with some tweezers, but I really need to remove the knobs and nuts and do it properly. 

I ran a scalpel very carefully along the index bits.

I don't want to remove the scratchplate unnecessarily.

Question... if anyone has had the plate off, are they CTS pots?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

As of 12:35 today I am now an Epiphone Embassy owner 🙂

Sadly shifts spent clambering up and down scaffolding leave me a bit knackered these days so all you folks will get is a photo.

IMG_20220120_192002991_HDR.thumb.jpg.d2cb020155845920d19211943a6ee21d.jpg

Well a photo and a promise , those bloody roundwound strings are coming off ASAP 😄

It's a thing of beauty!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Do they normally have CTS pots ?

If they do then the CTS factory in Taiwan must have had supply issues, mine has a volume pot from Jin Sung in Korea and a Korean Alpha tone pot.

Some of the guitars do - the 'old gold' LP and the Coronet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Picked one of these up and it arrived today. 

Firstly, it's gorgeous and I love the neck. Really light weight, and well balanced. 

On the downside, the E string appears to be gubbed (does anyone know what these strings are? Red silks), so tonight I need to change the strings and set it up again before I can comment further. But I think it's going to be a keeper. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

Picked one of these up and it arrived today. 

Firstly, it's gorgeous and I love the neck. Really light weight, and well balanced. 

On the downside, the E string appears to be gubbed (does anyone know what these strings are? Red silks), so tonight I need to change the strings and set it up again before I can comment further. But I think it's going to be a keeper. 

Just put your own preferred strings on it.  What colour did you get?

Green one. Mrs Psychosis was quite vocal as to which the prettiest one was so that made it easy 🙂

Have changed the strings - to some round core Newtones - but it was a bit frustrating having to do so in order to check the bass was OK, especially given the price of strings in 2023.

Not sure what the matter with the E was, but it was notably lower output than the other strings and there was a really strange rattle/buzz coming from the open E. Changing them has fixed it so... 😐

Sound wise, need to wait for the strings to bed in but I do like it a lot. I do wonder if I'll end up with flats on it at somepoint. 

My only real complaint is that the tone control might as well not be there. It does flip all until the last 10% of the turn when it does a little. Does that chime with you guys? 

I've had a bit of a moan here but I do genuinely think this is a stonking bass. The weight, balance and neck feel are all fantastic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I haven't, but love the looks of these basses and would wish they'd make a short scale version of it.

Stranger things have happened, but that sounds like a niche inside a niche, which companies rarely do - one level of niche is often too much for them.

Back in the day, Epiphone's short scale bass counterpoint to the Embassy was the Newport bass.  Who knows, maybe they'll have a mad turn and reissue that.

On 15/01/2023 at 11:05, neepheid said:

Stranger things have happened, but that sounds like a niche inside a niche, which companies rarely do - one level of niche is often too much for them.

Back in the day, Epiphone's short scale bass counterpoint to the Embassy was the Newport bass.  Who knows, maybe they'll have a mad turn and reissue that.

Your wish is their command...

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Bass/Newport-Bass/Cherry

EONB4CHNH1_front.png?h=300

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yesterday i put one of @KiOgons excellent wiring looms in my embassy.

Massive improvement to the tone circuit which actually feels like it works now. 

The more I play it the more I think I'm going to have to put flats on it, which is frustrating given the price of the damn things. 

Edited by uncle psychosis
  • Like 1