Why become a member? ×

Embassy

stewblack

I have one of these basses.  Is it neck heavy?  Well to be helpful I just popped the nastiest, thinnest, smooth, nylon freebie strap I could find on mine and put it on with just a t-shirt on my shoulder.  It was maybe a little neck heavy, but it didn't dive for the floor, more it found a level equilibrium.  With a decent strap (in my case a Neotech Mega strap - wider and grippier) it balances fine.

It is helped in this regard (versus say the Thunderbird whose pickups and bridge/tailpiece it shares) by the relative shortness of the neck (bridge further towards the bottom of the body), the smaller headstock, the smaller tuners.

If you like the sound of it but are picky about balance then I'm sure swapping out the stock tuners for some Ultralites or Gotoh GB350s will further alleviate any heavy feeling.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bigthumb said:

I’ve just pulled the trigger on one myself. @neepheid is the man to ask. 

Look good don't they? 

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

I have one of these basses.  Is it neck heavy?  Well to be helpful I just popped the nastiest, thinnest, smooth, nylon freebie strap I could find on mine and put it on with just a t-shirt on my shoulder.  It was maybe a little neck heavy, but it didn't dive for the floor, more it found a level equilibrium.  With a decent strap (in my case a Neotech Mega strap - wider and grippier) it balances fine.

It is helped in this regard (versus say the Thunderbird whose pickups and bridge/tailpiece it shares) by the relative shortness of the neck (bridge further towards the bottom of the body), the smaller headstock, the smaller tuners.

If you like the sound of it but are picky about balance then I'm sure swapping out the stock tuners for some Ultralites or Gotoh GB350s will further alleviate any heavy feeling.

Thank you. I loved the sound of my T Bird but yes I'm picky about balance. 

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Look good don't they? 

Thank you. I loved the sound of my T Bird but yes I'm picky about balance. 

Perhaps picky was too pejorative a word, and if I used something bigger like discerning then it might have come across as sarcasm. Didn't mean anything mean by it - I interpret your direct quote of my phraseology as a sign of irritation so I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Talking of the T-bird, the Embassy is a lot more manageable for the reasons I outlined above - I think the biggest noticeable difference is the reduction in reach to the first fret - and how much empty space there is in the top of my gigbag :)

I'm going to snag some replacement tuners on pay day (I'm not swapping them out for balance reasons but functionality - the stock ones are as good as one can expect on a £300-350 bass - do the job but not that smooth with some play in them). Was going to get Gotoh GB707s but could get GB350s instead and let you know if I feel any difference in the balance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Didn't mean anything mean by it - I interpret your direct quote of my phraseology as a sign of irritation so I'm sorry if it came across that way.

No no! Not a bit of it. I genuinely am picky about neck dive! Even the smallest amount is hugely distracting to me. 

I apologise for the misunderstanding. 

• Thanks 1

Well the bass arrived at work today just in time for my lunch hour.

First thing you notice is how light it is, a practical featherweight compared to some of my other basses. It looks pretty cool too. The setup was a bit high with a reasonable amount of relief to the neck. Not a great fan of round wounds now so as soon as I got it home I put a set of flats on, adjusted the truss rod and lowered the bridge slightly. The set up will need some fine tuning tomorrow but for now its ok. I managed a quick 10 minutes plugged in where first impressions were a bit meh... After some EQ fiddling on the amp things began to improve. Being obviously different to my Fenderesqe basses and Ric it will still need more EQ tweaking but I'm confident I'll find the sweet spot on the amp. 

@stewblack I'll see how it balances on the strap tomorrow and if theres any neck dive. 

On 22/06/2021 at 22:15, stewblack said:

That's great thank you. 

None for me. I compared it to a lightish Jazz and my Precision and the Pbass was the only one to have a slight dive. It behaves very well and due to its light weight you hardly know its there. 

5 hours ago, bigthumb said:

None for me. I compared it to a lightish Jazz and my Precision and the Pbass was the only one to have a slight dive. It behaves very well and due to its light weight you hardly know its there. 

GAS ignition stage 1 complete. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1