Why become a member? ×

Arrangements

zbd1960

Amongst my musical interests, I play sax and I run a sax ensemble, which is currently an octet on 2 sops, 2 altos, 2 tenors, and 2 baritones. We haven't met for over a year due to lockdown and our rehearsal venue is currently a vaccination centre, so we can't resume until September. 

I sometimes make arrangements for the group as it's not easy to find stuff for sax ensembles and it can get very expensive very quickly. I most often go for short Renaissance dance pieces like works by the English composer Holborne since I have a set of his works published in 1599... (I like to keep up-to-date with musical fashions...).

I've just been listening to some recent recordings of music from the same period by Michael Pratetorius and for some of the movements they 'played' with it and replaced the violone (double bass viol) with electric bass etc. and it was quite good.

So, I'm thinking of making some arrangements now which I can a part for me to play on bass. The main challenge is that if I look at a facsimile edition of the Praetorius, it it will be in all sorts of weird clefs (e.g. the G1 French violin clef) and weird time signature notation (e.g. prolation etc). And no bar lines... You can see all of this in this example

Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 09.32.02.png

Edited by zbd1960
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...