Why become a member? ×

Markbass 102P Cabinet "Clapping" Noise

johndc

This has been driving me crazy. My relatively new (2 years 2 months) Markbass mini amp and 102P cab were making an intermittent popping noise - just like a very loud clap - while playing gigs recently. It seems to happen when driving the amp a bit loud (but not crazy loud). At first I thought there was a problem with the amp, so I had it looked at by a Markbass authorized repair shop. Nothing wrong there. While playing a gig today with my backup GK amp (but same 102P cab), the clapping noise started again. I've played this cab with 2 different basses, 2 different speaker cables, and through both speaker inputs - with the same result. I'm left by process of elimination with the cab. As far as I can tell there is an electronic component where the speaker cables inputs attach. Could this board inside the cab be going bad? Does that happen?

Thank you fellow bassist and tech wizards for any direction. John from DC

Edited by johndc

• 2 weeks later...

A clapping noise? That's new. 

It could be the end of the coil hitting the rear of the magnet or the cone meeting the grille if that has been distorted but that is usually described as a farting noise. Turning the bass control down ought to  reduce/remove the problem by limiting excursion but less bass could reduce other possible causes too.  

It could be something loose in the cab. Check the speaker is fully tightened down and the grille is firmly attached and have a look at the internal leads to the speaker, if they are loose they can end up slapping against the cone which makes an alarming noise. It could also be a loose panel in the cab so check everything is as it should be.

The other possibility I can think of is something on the cone that has become un-glued like the dome shaped dust cone, though that tends to be a buzz rather than a clap.

I had something like this some years ago and it happened when I’d pushed the input gain too much. Mainly happened on certain notes (usually the lower G & B) it sounded like someone was hitting a microphone with a hammer. Backing off if the gain and the lows just a tad sorted it.