Why become a member? ×

NBD - Opinions please?

Folkesy

Hi, 

Similar thread to SpongeBob's. 

I had a JMJ Mustang Bass in Daphne Blue arrive on Friday and it sounds incredible and plays really nicely. But there are a few things that are bugging me:- 

1) The bass was rattling when it arrived and after some hunting I found there was some solder loose in the control cavity.

2) There is a tactile knot on the back of the neck which you can feel whilst running your hand down the back of the neck (image 2).

3) The springs on the bridge are not under any tension and just rattle around. I am no expert it should these not be adjusted so that they do not rattle? (Image 3). 

I am not sure I am being too fussy and would like to get some other opinions. To me it feels like some poor QC on a £1k bass. 

Cheers, 

Jack

PXL_20210618_150022861.jpg

PXL_20210620_155621912~2.jpg

PXL_20210620_170351849.jpg

PXL_20210620_191500124~2.jpg

Edited by Folkesy

Lovely bass....sorry to hear of your issues.

If you can feel the problem in the neck, that alone would make me return it...or maybe negotiate a discount?

My mark couldn't be felt - and my mind was put at rest with the help on the thread. 

We're in the same position....these things aren't cheap, and for 1k, it should be faultless.

Reason for my post yesterday,  was in the past I've always accepted all issues as one of those things. They aren't - and if it bothers you, address it. 

• Like 2

A problem you can feel in the neck is an instant fail in my book for a new bass, that would be an immediate return.

The bridge is a wierd one. Is the intonation correct? It looks like the saddles are as far forward as they will go before dropping off the screws hence it is running out of spring length. (are those strings stock - looks like flats to me?)

You could either get longer bridge springs or get a couple of bridge springs and cut them in half and add a half-length spring to each saddle. I'd not expect to have to do that on a new bass though.

Edited by nilebodgers
  • Like 4

Thanks for the reply SpongeBob. I dropped an email to Guitar guitar earlier today, I'm sure they will be really helpful (I've been very impressed with them in the past). 

Thanks Nilebodgers, the setup feels ok and the intonation sounds ok. This model comes with flats which have been strung through the body. Maybe the springs are more for when top loading through the bridge.

I think the knot/bump I can feel on the neck is the biggest issue that is bugging me. It's frustrating as these have only just come into stock and probably won't be back in stock until August 😔

The saddle position shouldn't change between through-body or top load stringing, intonation should be identical in either case. Rattling springs would be very irritating though.

The neck issue is easily fixable by someone with finish repair experience, but it will cost a fair bit to do professionally. Its up to GuitarGuitar what they want to do, which ultimately comes down to Fender's policy on items supplied faulty I guess?

• Like 1

Yes, it almost feels like they should have put some longer springs in there, as they really buzz when using the low frequencies.

It is such a shame as in all other aspects the bass is phenomenal. It is just when you get to the part of the neck with the bump its quite distracting.

If it was secondhand it probably wouldn't bother me at all but feels a bit sloppy on a brand new bass. 

On a £250 bass I wouldn't have much of a problem with much of that. Beyond that price its not acceptable. Yes, it can all be fixed, that is what separates cheap from expensive.

If the knot annoys you now in the honeymoon period, it is going to drive you mad and stop you playing it later.

• Like 2

On a used or a less expensive bass I would probably address those problems myself, but on a 1k new bass , it should be spot on , apart from a few tweaks to get the setup to a personal preference, I’d be putting it back on to them to either rectify it or send me another , nice bass BTW 👍

• Like 1

Take the springs off and give them a stretch. Or take them off and leave them off! The knot wouldn’t bother me I don’t think - after all the thing is roadworn anyway and it’ll only collect more. I’d just play it I think. 

• Like 2

When I thought I had a problem yesterday,  I found giving GG call a very quick solution. Main reason for me, buying from a chain, was the returns policy without dispute. 

As the customer, you have the power.....if you're not happy in any way,  get a replacement.  As has been said, what irritates you now will only serve to annoy the heck out of you later on.

....and if you ever sell? Not a risk worth taking.

Edited by spongebob
  • Like 1

The knot issue on its own would make me return it. I bought a Player Precision that had a slight (very slight) bulge around the third fret so I took it back. The guys at PMT were happy to take it back though they said they couldn’t notice it. As much of my playing at the time was based around that area of the neck there’s no way I could have kept it, and as such that’s possibly why I was able to notice it.

• Like 2

Regarding the bridge springs.  The saddle was so extended on the A string on mine that it worked loose and disappeared when I was playing on a jam night.  I contacted FMCUK and they sent me a new 'aged' one - this looks to be a common problem.  In the end I wound my saddles in a little (intonation still ok) so that the springs were under compression and there was no risk of losing any more saddles.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

All sorted guitar guitar were brilliant and offered a replacement JMJ when they come back into stock or an alternative bass. I was really impressed with their response.

I have decided to get a BB734 as I've had really good experiences with Yamaha's in the past. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Folkesy said:

All sorted guitar guitar were brilliant and offered a replacement

That’s great, glad you got it sorted, its nice to receive a decent service, over the years I’ve had a great service from Ashdown on many occasions, that’s why I always go back to them 

• Like 1