Why become a member? ×

Gibson Victory Standard........any good?

ProfJames

I did have a Victory Artist.  Yes, it was heavy as hell (12lbs+), but that's the price you pay for a thick maple body.  Did sound good though.  Never been reissued and never been seen with the punky, grungy types who picked up Grabbers, G-3s, Rippers and RDs when they were super out of fashion and could be bought for peanuts in the 90s, which may or may not be important to you.  I've never had the pleasure of trying a Victory Standard but I can imagine it's quite a punchy beast - single pickup in the middle position rather than the spacing of the 2 pickup models (Artist/Custom).

All the info you could ever want on the Victory bass is here at Jules' site - https://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/Victory.php

My own personal experience?  Lovely basses which are off the beaten track, heavy though.  Quirky enough to be interesting (little touches like the angled pickup, the angled neck heel giving 24 frets (but only on the D and G strings), a decent bridge with a very clever mechanism for adjusting string height; two opposing wedges which move up and past the other as you tighten/loosen the adjustment screw)

Things to watch out for - abuse - unoriginal electronics.  The bridge on mine had a bit of tail lift going on - not enough to affect the working of the bass but something to be wary of.  I think the bridge can be 1:1 replaced with a Schaller 3D bridge but you lose the Gibson branding and the wedge string height mechanism.