Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

The Panda midiBeam 4Control is now available and works great with the FI. Worth checking out if you haven’t already got an expression/interface solution. 

Available in the Panda online store here.

Quick-start guide here.

Full manual here.

Edited by Quatschmacher

Hey! 

I managed to get a phaser effect on one of my patches after following the manual's instructions on how to set it up using Flexi controllers to sweep the mids on the slider EQ panel, however once they're set up, I am stuck on the slider panel and cannot switch over to the graphic EQ panel to adjust the notches etc. 
If I switch to other patches, I am able to go between the two EQ views, but not on the patch with the phaser effect set up. 

Any idea what might be causing this issue? 

7 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Hey! 

I managed to get a phaser effect on one of my patches after following the manual's instructions on how to set it up using Flexi controllers to sweep the mids on the slider EQ panel, however once they're set up, I am stuck on the slider panel and cannot switch over to the graphic EQ panel to adjust the notches etc. 
If I switch to other patches, I am able to go between the two EQ views, but not on the patch with the phaser effect set up. 

Any idea what might be causing this issue? 

Yes, intentional design, as mentioned in the manual.

The Flexi interface uses the sliders, so once that is assigned, it locks out the graphical view. Basically at the time, there wasn’t time to come up with a viable solution of how to apply flexis to the graphical view. I had some ideas and suggested them but there were more pressing concerns. It’s something that I hope can be revisited at some point along with some other ideas I have for unlocking other features via the editor. I wouldn’t hold your breath though. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

16 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

The Flexi interface uses the sliders, so once that is assigned, it locks out the graphical view. Basically at the time, there wasn’t time to come up with a viable solution of how to apply flexis to the graphical view. I had some ideas and suggested them but there were more pressing concerns. It’s something that I hope can be revisited at some point along with some other ideas I have for unlocking other features via the editor. I wouldn’t hold your breath though. 

To get around this, I’d suggest setting up your notches in the graphical view first to set them to the frequencies you want (either the lowest or highest point), then switch to slider view and add the flexi assignment, then use the secondary slider to set the other end of the frequency sweeps (higher or lower as desired).

19 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Thanks for the reply.

I've found a way to access the graphic panel though, go to another patch and bring up the graphic panel then switch back to the patch with Flexi controllers on the slider view, you'll have access to the graphic view again. 

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

To get around this, I’d suggest setting up your notches in the graphical view first to set them to the frequencies you want (either the lowest or highest point), then switch to slider view and add the flexi assignment, then use the secondary slider to set the other end of the frequency sweeps (higher or lower as desired).

Thanks for the advice.

The reason I assumed you should be able switch between the views is because at the end of the "FI as Phaser" section it says "Experiment with the frequency and shape of the LFO and with the depth, width and spacing of the notches." and so I was then confused when I could not access said notches to change them.

Just now, AinsleyWalker said:

Thanks for the advice.

The reason I assumed you should be able switch between the views is because at the end of the "FI as Phaser" section it says "Experiment with the frequency and shape of the LFO and with the depth, width and spacing of the notches." and so I was then confused when I could not access said notches to change them.

The notch spacings are still regulated by the two frequency sliders, even if you can’t actually see the graphical representation thereof, but I can understand your confusion. In fact, I might have written that tutorial before the graphical display was disabled. 

6 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Thanks for the reply.

I've found a way to access the graphic panel though, go to another patch and bring up the graphic panel then switch back to the patch with Flexi controllers on the slider view, you'll have access to the graphic view again. 

Yes, I believe the EQ panel always shows the most-recently accessed view when it is first opened. I’ll need to look at this though as it might cause issues with the flexi if you start trying to interact with it in graphical mode. 

6 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

The notch spacings are still regulated by the two frequency sliders, even if you can’t actually see the graphical representation thereof, but I can understand your confusion. In fact, I might have written that tutorial before the graphical display was disabled. 

I'm sure I'll get my head round it, I'm still trying to figure out the best placement/distance of each Flexi for the effect I want, but I'm getting some cool sounds and having fun along the way :)
if you have any suggestions for notch placement/depth etc I'm all ears! I'm not sure of ideal freq to notch. I'm currently notching around 200 and 800.
It sounds good, if not slightly muffled, but has a really nice warmth to it. 

image.png.4c2b9b6f3ef65d168e666a902650a7f4.pngimage.png.d584e6741d9aa32ee2811f3e77fa6b58.png

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, I believe the EQ panel always shows the most-recently accessed view when it is first opened. I’ll need to look at this though as it might cause issues with the flexi if you start trying to interact with it in graphical mode. 

Ok I'll try to avoid doing this then.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated as always.

19 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I'm sure I'll get my head round it, I'm still trying to figure out the best placement/distance of each Flexi for the effect I want, but I'm getting some cool sounds and having fun along the way :)
if you have any suggestions for notch placement/depth etc I'm all ears! I'm not sure of ideal freq to notch. I'm currently notching around 200 and 800.
It sounds good, if not slightly muffled, but has a really nice warmth to it. 

image.png.4c2b9b6f3ef65d168e666a902650a7f4.pngimage.png.d584e6741d9aa32ee2811f3e77fa6b58.png

Ok I'll try to avoid doing this then.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated as always.

You may have worked out a workaround. I’d guess that moving the frequency in the graphical display will simply move the left slider of the flexi slider and the offset will remain constant (unless you bump up against the extremities).

Adjust the Q of the frequencies to make the notches narrower.

I based my notch placement initially by reading up on the notches of a Phase 90. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Did you send CC2 at 0 somehow? That will mute the VCF output. 

Not sure, will refer to manual to see how to check this. 

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

And do you mean it’s only sending clean when engaged? Is this on all patches?

Didi you update to v3 recently and not perform the writing of the factory sound set?

Yes, only sending clean + effects (chorus etc). All patches having this issue.

No recent updates, I updated to v3 as soon as it became available, well over a year ago now. I have not had any issues with the pedal all day (or ever), even after updating my patches. The pedal was working fine earlier when I messaged about the phaser notches etc. I've just turned everything on again and only the FI is having any issues. I've checked cables, power supply etc.

it's giving me this interesting message on startup though.. Not sure if that helps. 
image.png.15a6a88b035ab65d076c376f9ad16f22.png

10 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

No recent updates, I updated to v3 as soon as it became available, well over a year ago now. I have not had any issues with the pedal all day (or ever), even after updating my patches. The pedal was working fine earlier when I messaged about the phaser notches etc. I've just turned everything on again and only the FI is having any issues. I've checked cables, power supply etc.

it's giving me this interesting message on startup though.. Not sure if that helps. 

I think that's Predator's self-destruct readout, I'd run. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

That’s something I’ve never seen before. However, why you are describing sound wise sounds like what happens when old v2 patches haven’t been correctly flushed. 

If you have your patches backed up, I’d reinstall the firmware and v3.5 factory sound set via the online updater. Check that all works. If so, then load your own patches back on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Quatschmacher said:

That’s something I’ve never seen before. However, why you are describing sound wise sounds like what happens when old v2 patches haven’t been correctly flushed. 

If you have your patches backed up, I’d reinstall the firmware and v3.5 factory sound set via the online updater. Check that all works. If so, then load your own patches back on. 

Just to be clear. Update to v3.60 and download the v3.60 editor (if you aren’t already using it).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Did you send CC2 at 0 somehow? That will mute the VCF output. 

Are you able to explain this please? I tried checking the manual but it does not explain what CC2 is, only how it can be used. 

EDIT: I've read a little bit into what CC2 is, I still don't know how I would have sent CC2 though. 

My issues are still persisting after updating firmware, replacing my patches with the stock ones, and updating editor. Still getting a glitchy message (albeit slightly different from the one earlier) after 3.60 displays, after this, the display acts as normal but no VCF output. 

I'm quite worried that I've accidentally bricked the pedal.... I discovered the graphic EQ thing by accident, wish I hadn't lol..

Edited by AinsleyWalker

36 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Are you able to explain this please? I tried checking the manual but it does not explain what CC2 is, only how it can be used. 

EDIT: I've read a little bit into what CC2 is, I still don't know how I would have sent CC2 though. 

My issues are still persisting after updating firmware, replacing my patches with the stock ones, and updating editor. Still getting a glitchy message (albeit slightly different from the one earlier) after 3.60 displays, after this, the display acts as normal but no VCF output. 

I'm quite worried that I've accidentally bricked the pedal.... I discovered the graphic EQ thing by accident, wish I hadn't lol..

Did you replace the patches using the online updater tool, following all instructions to the letter?

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4