Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

On 27/07/2021 at 12:00, SumOne said:

Yeah seems to me that the going rate for a v3 is about £190. Much more than that and I'd consider buying new at £255 to get in mint condition with warranty/returns etc. Although the v1 & 2 are technically same inside I think people would pay a bit less for them because they are obviously order and likely to have been used more (with the risk of cosmetic damage and worn footswitches etc). 

Yeah that’s about ball park, but just for the record a couple of Mk1s have gone for £175 on here and £178 on eBay very recently (with P&P on top).

Maybe it's just me, but 65% of new for a 3+ y/o pedal still feels very reasonable, just based on the nearly 100 pedals(!) I've bought and sold on here over the past four years.

But you're right, at the end of the day a fair price is what a willing buyer and willing seller are happy to agree! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah that’s about ball park, but just for the record a couple of Mk1s have gone for £180 on here and on eBay very recently. 

Maybe it's just me, but 65% of new for a 3+ y/o pedal still feels very reasonable, just based on the nearly 100 pedals(!) I've bought and sold on here over the past four years.

But you're right, at the end of the day a fair price is what a willing buyer and willing seller are happy to agree! 

Yeah sounds reasonable. I guess the caveat is that not all pedals are created equal, supply and demand and all that, a DOD meatbox reissue had a £155 RRP about 5 years ago but their going rate now looks to be about £250.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Yeah sounds reasonable. I guess the caveat is that not all pedals are created equal, supply and demand and all that, a DOD meatbox reissue had a £155 RRP about 5 years ago but their going rate now looks to be about £250.  

I agree that about Meatbox - prices went mental! But I think that particular one is a function of a lack of new product coming onto market i.e. a limited production run.

• Like 1

I just want to say that I anything happens to FI, people in Panda Midi are very cool and nice people, they'll repair everything. I had a chance to have something repaired on my pedal, they were fast with repair and with shipping it back.

BTW. I bought mine on 2015 (one of the first ones) payed it around 420 euros... so if you want to buy it just go for it, it's amazing piece of equipment.

Can't go wrong with any pedal you buy, just update it and that's it.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 11:49, Quatschmacher said:

At the risk of repeating myself, there is no v4 planned, so you may be waiting forever... 

New model FI v4 

This is what Panda FI have just emailed me to say:

a) "Yes, in our latest version, v3.60 we have reached all the limits of the current hardware - the processing power is used around 100% and the code memory is full as well. For additional functionality we have to step forward "

b) "we already test new processors" (!!)

The only thing holding them back is:

c) "but you have probably learnt about the terrible situation on the chip market caused by the pandemic. It is still not known when we can order commercial quantities from them and from the other components. So we still can't set a target date for the next hardware release." 

So it seems to me that a FI v4 is very much in the pipeline and, unlike the v3 which was only a cosmetic upgrade from the v1, the v4 (or MK2 or whatever they will call it) is going to be step change as a unit. Exciting!! My best guess, based on a guestimate timeframe for the chip shortage to be rectified globally and the fact that they're going to be at the bottom of the queue behind car manufacturers etc, would be at some point in 2022, maybe 12 to 18 months from now.

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So it seems to me that a FI v4 is very much in the pipeline and, unlike the v3 which was only a cosmetic upgrade from the v1, the v4 (or MK2 or whatever they will call it) is going to be step change as a unit. Exciting!! My best guess, based on a guestimate timeframe for the chip shortage to be rectified globally and the fact that they're going to be at the bottom of the queue behind car manufacturers etc, would be at some point in 2022, maybe 12 to 18 months from now.

Ooh - Osborne effect time!

Will wait and see what comes out then (or get a cheaper one when everyone upgrades)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Ooh - Osborne effect time!

Will wait and see what comes out then (or get a cheaper one when everyone upgrades)

Just putting this seed of an unfounded prediction out there seeing as I have a v3 and am fickle with buying/selling pedals all the time: The v1/v3 will be sought after classics and anything after them won't be as good for some reason (cost savings or availability of a certain chip or something). The v1/v3 will be like the DOD Meatbox, or original Mu-Tron III, or MF-101....prices are only going up!  

5 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Just putting this seed of an unfounded prediction out there seeing as I have a v3 and am fickle with buying/selling pedals all the time: The v1/v3 will be sought after classics and anything after them won't be as good for some reason (cost savings or availability of a certain chip or something). The v1/v3 will be like the DOD Meatbox, or original Mu-Tron III, or MF-101....prices are only going up!  

Hehe - I'd best buy that mint v3 off you then 😄

Besides, I won't be getting a v4 until they're getting flogged used 6 to 9 months after they first come out, which could be 2+ years off. Plenty of time to get into the minutiae of @Quatschmacher's excellent manual! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SumOne said:

The v1/v3 will be sought after classics and anything after them won't be as good for some reason

Oh yes, it won't be like the classic, and someone will make a boutique hand wired one in about 5 years for a few grand!

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Besides, I won't be getting a v4 until they're getting flogged used 6 to 9 months after they first come out, which could be 2+ years off. Plenty of time to get into the minutiae of @Quatschmacher's excellent manual! 

I will wait for the future impact mini!

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I will wait for the future impact mini!

Well hopefully they might take the opportunity to release a more compact version at the same time and, if they further improve the UI/display along Boss RC-5 lines, they're going to have a "ticking a lot of boxes" product on their hands.

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

New model FI v4 

This is what Panda FI have just emailed me to say:

a) "Yes, in our latest version, v3.60 we have reached all the limits of the current hardware - the processing power is used around 100% and the code memory is full as well. For additional functionality we have to step forward "

b) "we already test new processors" (!!)

The only thing holding them back is:

c) "but you have probably learnt about the terrible situation on the chip market caused by the pandemic. It is still not known when we can order commercial quantities from them and from the other components. So we still can't set a target date for the next hardware release." 

I think you’re reading rather a lot into that. Not to pïss on your bonfire, but remember how long it took for the v3 and v3.5 updates to happen. Any wholesale reimagining would likely take a big chunk of time.

I guess there’s perhaps a possibility of putting bigger chips in and using the same core code and hardware which might mean that the product remains unchanged but just has more power and code space for future features. I did ask about this possibility but never got a response.

I see your ruse though: create excitement about and upgrade that isn’t even in the works, thereby artificially drive the price of v3 units down so you can buy one at a lower price. Nice try. 😆

If you want to support the growth and development of the company, the best way to do that is to buy what they have so they gain funds to power future products and to pay for the expertise of their workers.

Did you also mention the attractiveness of a smaller housing?

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

@Quatschmacher - no ruse mate, I had already secured a v3 for a fair market price 😉

Bit shocking they didn't give you a response, though, given how much time and effort you've invested with them.

Excellent. I hope you give it a fair shot with the editor this time - should be much easier than last time. By the way, Rich Tone have a used UM-One MKII in stock.

I think when I asked, it was right when we were still in the middle of v3.5 development so it might’ve got missed.

If there is a new iteration then I’d hope to be kept in the loop and involved with it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Excellent. I hope you give it a fair shot with the editor this time - should be much easier than last time.

Believe me, the really excellent work you have done on the v3.5 and v3.60 editor and also the updates to the manual are the reasons I'm getting another FI! It's in a completely different league to the editor and manual that came with the first FI I got three years ago.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/08/2021 at 09:13, Quatschmacher said:

FI is on a summer sale price of €269 for the whole of August. Price includes taxes and shipping. That’s about £230 delivered.

http://pandamidi.com/store/future-impact-v3-bass-guitar-synth

Plus £58 taxes to UPS, so closer to 300 (as it is nearer £240 with exchange rates.

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Nope. All taxes and shipping were included as per the website; it really was £228 all included.

Guess you got lucky then. For anyone else out there, this is the costs. £238 when paid with paypal (with fees and exchange) and £58.68 for taxes and UPS fees

ups.thumb.jpg.cc4df45cedeee989e8e5f7df7c3ee5c5.jpg

Edited by Woodinblack

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Guess you got lucky then. For anyone else out there, this is the costs. £238 when paid with paypal (with fees and exchange) and £58.68 for taxes and UPS fees

ups.thumb.jpg.cc4df45cedeee989e8e5f7df7c3ee5c5.jpg

If the list price said that taxes were included then contact Panda and get them refunded. Taxes are only due once, so if they’ve been inadvertently charged twice, they can be claimed back. 

31 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

If the list price said that taxes were included then contact Panda and get them refunded. Taxes are only due once, so if they’ve been inadvertently charged twice, they can be claimed back. 

No, the list price said no tax. Oh well, never mind, I should have checked now, will check next time on these things :/

Edited by Woodinblack

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Another expression pedal question..

I suppose if I hook the FI to a Boss SY-1000 I can get any exp pedal connected to the SY-1000 to send the right midi message ? So no need to buy an external hub right ?

Thx in advance

PS: and many thanks to you @Quatschmacher for your awesome work, I've been using your presets live, as it is or sometimes just as starting points for new presets but its so practical to be able to get them, thx man! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nikozzz2000 said:

Hi All,

Another expression pedal question..

I suppose if I hook the FI to a Boss SY-1000 I can get any exp pedal connected to the SY-1000 to send the right midi message ? So no need to buy an external hub right ?

Thx in advance

PS: and many thanks to you @Quatschmacher for your awesome work, I've been using your presets live, as it is or sometimes just as starting points for new presets but its so practical to be able to get them, thx man! 

As long as the SY sends out the messages it generates then it should be doable. You might need to enable a setting in a menu but I’d be shocked if this weren’t possible.

Glad you’re enjoying the presets; it’s been a while since I’ve done any new ones as there are too many distractions at present. I kind of miss lockdown in some ways. 😀

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4