Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

I've got a great Tom Sawyer growl on an old Roland SH-32.

I've never heard close on anything else.

(Did I spot a plus for the C4 there?)

It also occurs to me that getting the sound on a bass triggered pedal is fine, but then you can't play it along with the bass track itself; you have to go for MIDI pedals to be able to do it.

1 minute ago, prowla said:

Did I spot a plus for the C4 there?

Yes; I have said in a few places that there’s definitely room for both pedals as there’s enough stuff that each does that the other can’t. I don’t use the parallel processors loads but there are definitely cool things you can do with them. This example is quite a simple one as it’s just creating a duplicate of the first processor, but with subtle offsets. The result is a nice thickening. You can also run that in stereo using the dual outputs. (That reminds me, now I have two FIs, I should try doing a similar thing with those.)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes; I have said in a few places that there’s definitely room for both pedals as there’s enough stuff that each does that the other can’t. I don’t use the parallel processors loads but there are definitely cool things you can do with them. This example is quite a simple one as it’s just creating a duplicate of the first processor, but with subtle offsets. The result is a nice thickening. You can also run that in stereo using the dual outputs. (That reminds me, now I have two FIs, I should try doing a similar thing with those.)

Shotgun Future Impact!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BadHands said:

Does anyone know if the Future Impact offers midi out to control other synth modules?

I know it's possible to send PC info out. 

But i don't think cc is possible. 

But im sure the mighty @Quatschmacher will be along shortly to give us a definitive answer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BadHands said:

Does anyone know if the Future Impact offers midi out to control other synth modules?

Using MIDI THRU, it will pass anything sent to the MIDI IN to the MIDI OUT (except SysEx data and CC6).

However, what I suspect you are asking is whether you can play your bass via the FI’s audio input and have it send out MIDI note messages; this is not possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

So... I have a couple of questions , probably for @Quatschmacher but if anyone else knows chip in. Let’s say I have 4 songs to play with the mighty FI within the set. For ease I put the effects into 1,2 & 3 in editor. Songs 1&4 have the same effect. What’s the easiest way to scroll back to effect 1?for reference the effects are running into the effects loop of a helix stomp and then onto amp. 

I’m not great with making my own patches and have already downloaded a very useable moog for an MJ track. Is there a “superstition “ type patch already in existence? 

Edited by bassfan

41 minutes ago, bassfan said:

So... I have a couple of questions , probably for @Quatschmacher but if anyone else knows chip in. Let’s say I have 4 songs to play with the mighty FI within the set. For ease I put the effects into 1,2 & 3 in editor. Songs 1&4 have the same effect. What’s the easiest way to scroll back to effect 1?for reference the effects are running into the effects loop of a helix stomp and then onto amp. 

I’m not great with making my own patches and have already downloaded a very useable moog for an MJ track. Is there a “superstition “ type patch already in existence? 

Double tap the button you would use to scroll forward takes you back one step.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bassfan said:

You can probably use your stomp to send PC messages to change patches on the FI.

If you don’t have to make quick changes, you can double-tap the FI’s Program button to scroll down by 1.

Obviously I’d recommend getting a Morningstar controller as it’ll unlock options on your FI and your Stomp.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bassfan said:

I’ll investigate 🤓

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I've got a Stomp and a FI so am thinking it might be worth getting a midi controller but as neither have a midi 'thru' and controllers like the morningstar only have one midi output I'm not sure how it'd work, I assume they can be connected:

Morningstar midi out > Stomp midi in > Stomp midi out > FI midi in. 

.... the simplest thing I want is just basically adding footswitches e.g. Morningstar FS1 = cc 1 = Stomp FS4 toggle, Morningstar FS2 =  cc 2 = FI scroll down. 

I'm not sure it's all going to be a big faff to sort out though. Has anyone here successfully done it? 

12 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I've got a Stomp and a FI so am thinking it might be worth getting a midi controller but as neither have a midi 'thru' and controllers like the morningstar only have one midi output I'm not sure how it'd work, I assume they can be connected:

Morningstar midi out > Stomp midi in > Stomp midi out > FI midi in. 

.... the simplest thing I want is just basically adding footswitches e.g. Morningstar FS1 = cc 1 = Stomp FS4 toggle, Morningstar FS2 =  cc 2 = FI scroll down. 

I'm not sure it's all going to be a big faff to sort out though. Has anyone here successfully done it? 

FI has MIDI Thru on the MIDI out port. I don’t know about Stomp but I’d be surprised if it didn’t do the same.

Setting up MIDI is remarkably easy. I came to it very late. The Morningstar controllers are a breeze to program.  

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

Just now, Quatschmacher said:

FI has MIDI Thru on the MIDI out port. I don’t know about Stomp. 

Thanks. I just checked and the Stomp is midi out/thru too so I guess that makes it all simple enough. 

Anyone with ideas about why this is happening? Midi in/out are not appearing when I'm trying to connect to update to v3.6 (also not showing for the editor - one thing at a time though!). 

20210712_164817.thumb.jpg.0ec51097957472f9807998d00ed6480c.jpg

Trying to update via chrome. The midi connectors are plugged into the FI correctly (in to out, out to in) and the USB to midi device is on the FI list of ones that work (it's a Bespeco BMUSB100) and is driverless so nothing can be updated on that.  I've tried on two laptops and it's the same result on both. 

EDIT: The answer to this is in-fact download the Editor-  it is via that where I needed to go to the 'midi' menu and change the midi in/out. Seems to have updated to 3.6 all well.

Edited by SumOne
Found the solution

3 hours ago, SumOne said:

Anyone with ideas about why this is happening? Midi in/out are not appearing when I'm trying to connect to update to v3.6 (also not showing for the editor - one thing at a time though!). 

20210712_164817.thumb.jpg.0ec51097957472f9807998d00ed6480c.jpg

Trying to update via chrome. The midi connectors are plugged into the FI correctly (in to out, out to in) and the USB to midi device is on the FI list of ones that work (it's a Bespeco BMUSB100) and is driverless so nothing can be updated on that.  I've tried on two laptops and it's the same result on both. 

EDIT: The answer to this is in-fact download the Editor-  it is via that where I needed to go to the 'midi' menu and change the midi in/out. Seems to have updated to 3.6 all well.

That’s a solution but not the solution. Usually the problem with the device not being seen on the online updater comes from not having plugged in the device before launching Chrome; Chrome scans for connections when it is launched, not when devices are plugged in. (Same is true of the Editor: plug in the USB device before starting the editor, otherwise it won’t show in the menu.)

Another issue can be that one has MIDI disabled in Chrome.

The MIDI I/O setting in the Editor is for the Editor only; it has no effect on Chrome. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

That’s a solution but not the solution. Usually the problem with the device not being seen on the online updater comes from not having plugged in the device before launching Chrome; Chrome scans for connections when it is launched, not when devices are plugged in. (Same is true of the Editor: plug in the USB device before starting the editor, otherwise it won’t show in the menu.)

Another issue can be that one has MIDI disabled in Chrome.

The MIDI I/O setting in the Editor is for the Editor only; it has no effect on Chrome. 

Cheers. All sorted now and also downloaded a few of your presets, good stuff thanks! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to get my head around a fair price for a used one of these currently.

I see that Panda are selling a brand new FI (including P&P) for €299 i.e. £255 (at €1.17 to £1) all in - which works out at approx. £247 plus £8 (P&P)

So does:

• £160 for a Mk1 i.e. 65% new for a 3 to 5 year old pedal;  and
  • £185 for a Mk3 i.e. 75% new for a 1 to 2 year old pedal

Seem about right, given the cost of a new one which will have the advantage of being under warranty?

I'd also love to know when the Mk4 is due for release - combined with the fantastic work @Quatschmacher has done on the UI, must admit I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the Mk4!

Edited by Al Krow

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So does:

• £160 for a Mk1 i.e. 65% new for 3 to 5 year old pedal;  and
  • £185 for a Mk3 i.e. 75% new for 1 to 2 year old pedal

Seem about right, given the cost of a new one which will have the advantage of being under warranty?

Doesn't seem unreasonable assuming they were in very good condition.

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'd also love to know when the Mk4 is due for release - combined with the fantastic work @Quatschmacher has done on the UI, must admit I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the Mk4!

I went to look at their publicity page. I didn't know they had the EWI presets... looks at the ewi...

3 minutes ago, owen said:

Have there been any hardware changes? I had understood that nothing had changed other than the software.

AFAIK there are no other changes - V1 and V3 are functionally identical.

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

At the risk of repeating myself, there is no v4 planned, so you may be waiting forever. 

21 minutes ago, owen said:

Have there been any hardware changes? I had understood that nothing had changed other than the software.

17 minutes ago, Higgie said:

AFAIK there are no other changes - V1 and V3 are functionally identical.

Correct. As detailed in the initial v3 post and in all the documentation.

Given that, I wouldn’t expect a massive difference in price between a used v1 and v3. I’d base my pricing on their respective conditions.

People will pay what they feel. I haven’t seen one go for under £185, I think. I paid nearly £300 for my used v1 but that was before v3 and the new lower pricing. I’m not bitter as I’ve had plenty of joy and work out of it. 

• Like 5

Yeah seems to me that the going rate for a v3 is about £190. Much more than that and I'd consider buying new at £255 to get in mint condition with warranty/returns etc. Although the v1 & 2 are technically same inside I think people would pay a bit less for them because they are obviously order and likely to have been used more (with the risk of cosmetic damage and worn footswitches etc). 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4