Why become a member? ×

Unexpected collaborations

SteveXFR

22 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I think that was the first in a trend for metal/hip hop crossovers which ultimately lead to nu metal. It may have seemed like a bit of innocent fun but ultimately, this collaboration resulted in Limp Bizkit.

Oh no! 

For me it was more positive, I branched out from my metal cul-de-sac to discover hip hop and then the power in funk, soul, reggae, jazz etc. 

1 minute ago, Fishfacefour said:
26 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I think that was the first in a trend for metal/hip hop crossovers which ultimately lead to nu metal. It may have seemed like a bit of innocent fun but ultimately, this collaboration resulted in Limp Bizkit.

Oh no! 

For me it was more positive, I branched out from my metal cul-de-sac to discover hip hop and then the power in funk, soul, reggae, jazz etc. 

Agree both points. Yes, Limp Biscuit is a pity but for many the Rock/rap collaborations were a gateway into another form of music.

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Nick Cave and Kylie - still great:

I love this song. 
However I suspect that there were a bunch of female singers from within the Bad Seeds circle who could have performed it as well, and that the Kylie thing was done purely because it was unexpected.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Agree both points. Yes, Limp Biscuit is a pity but for many the Rock/rap collaborations were a gateway into another form of music.

The negatives far outweigh the positives. As well as Limp Bizkit there were other atrocities like Crazy Town and Trapt and Puddle of Mud.

36 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I love this song. 
However I suspect that there were a bunch of female singers from within the Bad Seeds circle who could have performed it as well, and that the Kylie thing was done purely because it was unexpected.

I think Cave was a friend of Michael Hutchins (INXS) and persuaded him to speak to Kylie about it. I believe he wrote it with Kylie in mind.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

60s Teen Pop idol Scott Walker and sludge/drone masters Sunn O)))

6 time Snooker World Champion Steve Davis, Cardiacs and Gong guy Kavus Torabi and Coil member Michael York:

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

The only thing that could top some of these is if someone like, I dunno, Charlie Drake made a record with Peter Gabriel, Sandy Denny, Robert Fripp, Phil Collins, Percy Jones and Keith Tippett.

Oh, wait...

Or Norman Wisdom and Rik Wakeman...

http://youtu.be/Mdjw2RJU19A

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Confused 1

On 20/06/2021 at 21:50, Nail Soup said:

I'm liking the Utopia Strong.

Quite a difference to Steve's previous musical collaboration with Chas and Dave:

The Utopia Strong are great live. I saw them at a small independent cinema/music venue, so there were seats. Sitting there letting the semi-improvised music wash over you was fantastic.

Steve and Kavus have also written a book about their favourite music called "Medical Grade Music". It's unexpectedly amusing.

• Like 1