Why become a member? ×

NBD. Nordy VJ5

bubinga5

I went to Bass Direct today expecting to buy a Lakland 5502.it was sold. So i looked around and spotted a Nordy.  .I really wanted to stay away from the JJ pickups as they never really have the heft that i like in a bass. This bass has Aguilar Super Double soap bars. an Aguilar OBP3 preamp.  It sounds monstrous. It still has the Jazz bass sound but its just way more variable. No flashy top wood, its light. It sounds killer. The build quality is pretty spectacular as are the matching knobs. Its a Nordy.

20210619_130803.jpg

20210619_130927.jpg

20210619_131038.jpg

20210619_131018.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 22

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Nice...I like the limited colour palette - everything matches. Hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Its no Pensa.😆 but wow the build quality is the best ive ever seen. It pretty pointless me babbling on about how good it sounds. Aguilar obp3 through those Aguilar doubles. It sounds good to my ears.

Edited by bubinga5

Ah nice to see that bass went to a bass chatter. I love Nordstrand pick ups and preamps, when I saw that on the bass direct website I thought to myself "who asked Carey to build them a bass, but then said I want Aguilar pups in it". 

Glad it still sounds great. 

• Like 2

I emailed Cary Nordstrand yesterday and he emailed me the original spec sheet for this bass.  Im wondering if i should bring it back to its original spec .. that being the Nordstrand 3 band with Nordstrand fatstack pickups.. hmmm. As someone said to me recently, were not into bass guitars to make a profit. 

• Like 3

I know where your coming from, it it was me there would be a part of my brain that would be going mental that it isn’t original spec. What lunatic put Aguilar in there in the first place 😄.

Saying that, if it’s sounds good then I really don’t think taking it back would add a huge amount, both companies make great pickups and preamps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

I emailed Cary Nordstrand yesterday and he emailed me the original spec sheet for this bass.  Im wondering if i should bring it back to its original spec .. that being the Nordstrand 3 band with Nordstrand fatstack pickups.. hmmm. As someone said to me recently, were not into bass guitars to make a profit. 

As much as I am a massive advocate of Nordstrand, my advice would be if you already love the Aguilars that are in it, stick with it. It's a bit like blackjack you currently have 20 and will likely win, but you could twist and get an ace. 

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I love the sound, I have played Aguilar electronics for many years and love them. But there is a switch that doesn't do anything. I presume its/was a bright switch or a coil switch for the Nordstrand pre. . Any ways I've been playing this bass over the weekend and ive got to say this instrument is pretty amazing. It reminds me of when I first played a Lakland 5594. It just has that feel of playability and resonance. Its a 34.5 inch scale I believe. I just put some Dunlop super brights on it. The B string is just.....wow. Back to its original spec would cost around £500 fitted so I'm not so sure its worth it. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1