Why become a member? ×

NBD Question - Thoughts?

spongebob

First NBD in ages today, following my 18 month lay-off from playing.  Didn't turn out permanent as it turned out.....

Grabbed a lovely Miami Blue P-bass. I was wanting class, and simplicity - and this is just the job.

One issue - it's got a blemish under the lacquer of the third fret. Nothing over the lacquer, so it's a wood thing,

I spoke to Guitar Guitar straight away. They were very helpful - their explanation is that due to the current environmental laws in the US, when a tree is felled for manufacturing purposes, they have to use every part of the wood. Years ago, they'd use the best bits, and chuck the rest....nowadays, not the case.

He did offer to get pictures of all of the other in stock, and I could have it replaced. However, this being a factor in modern production, others could have similar flaws, if not more. The chap said even the Fender press shots have them at times!

He's going to send details to Fender for their take, but I can guess what will come back....

It doesn't really bother me - it plays like a dream, it's faultless. Quarter turn of the truss rod, and the action is just where I like it.

Just looking for thoughts on this - anyone had similar experience? The shop seemed genuine and helpful - I guess I'm just looking for validation from the BC community! 

It looks worse in the picture than in the flesh.....am I being over-anal here?

20210619_143021.jpg

• Haha 2

I’m incredibly fussy with my basses, that’s just some shading in the grain, I’ve got it on my 98 P bass, it wouldn’t bother me , if it was a knot I wouldn’t accept it 🙂, can we see the whole bass 👍

688454BB-418D-4DA2-9B2E-9D1BD508D10E.jpeg

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had basses with things like that, the first time it bothered me for a while but as it didn’t affect playability or sound I learned to live with it. Since then I just put it down as one of those things that in a perfect world wouldn’t happen, but as the world is far from perfect then so what.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not a knot or fault, just colour.. woody-wood provides a nice contrast to solid colour

but if GG are happy to swap.. maybe worth a vist to see the others? I'd go and look rather than photos, bass might feel diferent..

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

Along with several basses I own one guitar, a telecaster. It arrived with a very small knot about a millimetre in size on the neck towards the headstock. The guitar played beautifully but I still thought about returning it. Then on day two I dinged it (no surprise there) so no more  chance to return and it hasn't bothered me once since. 

I think keep it, so long as it plays well otherwise. It adds a bit of uniqueness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for all the responses - appreciated.

Guess I am being a little picky. I've owned a good few Rickys, and iffy QC on those I used to chalk up as a regular thing! I've only had a couple of P's, so no real idea of what's okay and what's not.

Taken a few shots with the phone - it's quite a hard shade to catch correctly, as in every light it seems to look a little different, Everyone who's seen it has said how nice it is, so I'm hoping it's a good decision. Plays really nicely.

I honestly thought I'd never play again - I was sick of everything around bass, including the instrument I was playing. In my lay-off, I started to get the bug, then a couple of people contacted me about working together, and here we are (again!).

What was also needed was a total break with my old self, if that makes sense. No more Rickys, Markbass, and dump the picks if poss! Just want to tackle the instrument in a different way. After 25+ years of playing before, I was still emulating influences and tones that had long since left me. I needed to connect to where I am now.

Hence the P. Became aware that more of the records I love had them, whether rock, jazz, soul and so on. I no longer wanted that clangy mid-range, that on so many occasions, meant I struggled to hear myself. Time to actually play bass frequencies, rather than a million notes a minute on the mids.

I always thought a P was too 'obvious'. Like my first Suun Mustang P,  However, I came to the conclusion that it would give what I need without any hassle. Easy to EQ, sound like thunder, 

I've either had an epiphany, or reached a certain stage in life! Either way, it appears a good place to be.

Now for amp shopping.......

20210619_170539.jpg

20210619_170457.jpg

20210619_170450.jpg

• Like 11

I bought my Fender Precision elite, new, from Guitar Guitar.

The fretboard is ebony (there was a ban on rosewood for a while) and it has swirly pinkish grain through it.

I thought about sending it back, because it bugged me (I expected ebony to be black all the way up the fretboard) but when I took it out to play with my band, people said they liked it.

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks.

Open photo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Time for amp shopping he says……,

Well spoiled for choice methinks, but imo the following all work really well with a Precision:

Fender Rumble, Ampeg, Ashdown, Markbass

All will do a fantastic job, I’d pick Ashdown due to not only being excellent amps, sound great & super reliable, but both being UK based and their customer service being amongst the best around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a similar thing with my player series Stratocaster. Lots of small knots on the neck. I personally think it adds character and makes everyone unique.

Lovely bass and great colour.  I bet it sounds amazing!!

Edited by Folkesy
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spongebob said:

First NBD in ages today, following my 18 month lay-off from playing.  Didn't turn out permanent as it turned out.....

Grabbed a lovely Miami Blue P-bass. I was wanting class, and simplicity - and this is just the job.

One issue - it's got a blemish under the lacquer of the third fret. Nothing over the lacquer, so it's a wood thing,

I spoke to Guitar Guitar straight away. They were very helpful - their explanation is that due to the current environmental laws in the US, when a tree is felled for manufacturing purposes, they have to use every part of the wood. Years ago, they'd use the best bits, and chuck the rest....nowadays, not the case.

He did offer to get pictures of all of the other in stock, and I could have it replaced. However, this being a factor in modern production, others could have similar flaws, if not more. The chap said even the Fender press shots have them at times!

He's going to send details to Fender for their take, but I can guess what will come back....

It doesn't really bother me - it plays like a dream, it's faultless. Quarter turn of the truss rod, and the action is just where I like it.

Just looking for thoughts on this - anyone had similar experience? The shop seemed genuine and helpful - I guess I'm just looking for validation from the BC community! 

It looks worse in the picture than in the flesh.....am I being over-anal here?

20210619_143021.jpg

I can't see a blemish... I assume you're referring to the stripes under the fret marker? If so, they are beautiful. Embrace the uniqueness!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spongebob said:

Now for amp shopping.......

For a Fender that blemish is nothing. I even have some on my Overwater and it doesn’t bother me one bit. 

For amps, P bass and 8x10 is a match made in heaven. If that’s a bit big I love the markbass 12” combo

• Thanks 1