Why become a member? ×

NBD Dingwall Super P

GR7G5TER

Disclaimer, NBD was over a month ago, but i've just been too busy playing this to do a write up!!

Firstly props to Mark and the team at Bass direct for their excellent help and service!

I spent the day at their show room recently, looking for my next level p bass. I've played a Fender MIA Performer P for the last 4 years and as much I love the bass I've been searching for something a bit more! (We're never satisfied are we!!)

I spent a day in London before the pandemic playing vintage Precision basses and whilst these are incredible basses I didn't find the tone I was looking for, (I do have an Ibanez Mezzo with EMG Geezers and flats which gives a pretty damn good approximation of a vintage P, for a fraction of the price!)

What i was looking for in regards to tone, was solid P bass and a good P/J tone, i don't slap much but i do like the P/J when i do. I found the Performer P to be all or nothing when dialing in the J pickup and whilst the tone was OK it was always quiet noisy and lacked punch.

My other considerations were playablility, weight and of course, Mojo, and instrument has got to speak to you when you pick it up!

I went to Bass direct as they have a wonderful range of basses in stock and ticked off the manufacturers I wanted to try out that made "high end " p basses, namely Sadowsky, Mike Lull, Sandberg, Maruszcyk and were the only guitar store in the world (i checked!!) to have a Dingwall Super P in stock (they actually had 2 and a Super J).

Needless to say, every bass i played was an incredible instrument with great tone and high levels of craftsmanship and i'd have been happy to add anyone of them to my collection, we are truly lucky to have so many quality instruments!

The Super was unputdownable that day, as much as i really loved the Sandberg (was just a single P pup model) and if i wanted a "bog standard " P that would it the Dingwall was another level. I preferred the PJ over the P and the selector switch (P, PJ parallel, PJ series and J) gave the bass 4 distinct characters whilst always being true to it's self.

It's the best playing bass i've ever played, incredibly well crafted, balanced and light. The tones are fantastic and i've not used my Eden preamp (i used to kick this in to shape my tone for slap) as just switching to the PJ setting gives me a great tone with my current EQ settings (anyone want to buy my Eden WTDI!).

Now if i had ordered this from Sheldon direct i would not have chosen this colour! But it was either this or a 2 year wait (and would have been boring and order vintage sun burst i'm sure!) and i'm actually quiet happy i've got something a bit more unique. It's a modern sounding and looking P bass, so i think it's apt it has modern styling!!

I've also recently taken delivery of a GSS Baby Sumo (i'll be posting in a NAD soon) and i take the post tranny DI from my Peg PF50T into the sumo so i can push the tubes hard AND play at bedroom levels when i need to (i live in an apartment and both my neighbors have young kids).

I'll post a video i took this morning. I've finally got the tone i've been searching for!!

This is a link to the bassdirect webpage for the bass put i'll post some of my own pics shortly!

Dingwall Super P 4 Ferrari Green Satin Dingwall Bass Guitars:: Super P 5, vintage white, Morado, Active :: Custom hand made basses, exclusively at Bassdirect, London, Manchester, Birmingham, UK, USA< EU

IMG_20210619_115137.jpg

IMG_20210619_115304.jpg

IMG_20210619_115326.jpg

IMG_20210619_115319.jpg

• Like 8

I’d love to try a Super P4. I’m familiar with the 5 string version but comparing the 4 like for like with a Fender would be fun.  I really dig what Dingwall have done with the Super P.  Classy update to a classic design. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, krispn said:

I’d love to try a Super P4. I’m familiar with the 5 string version but comparing the 4 like for like with a Fender would be fun.  I really dig what Dingwall have done with the Super P.  Classy update to a classic design. 

I might do some sound clips with Super P vs the MIA at some point. I've literally not picked up the Fender since i bought this!